Some news about my dog

Chel

So this afternoon, about two hours ago, my family and I went to the vet because we noticed a large lump on our dog Molly's front left leg. About 15 or 20 minutes in, they told us that she had cancer. We don't know what type, as they said they would send the stuff off for further analysis, but hearing this news I just absolutely broke down. Even now I'm just holding back tears as I write this. I love her so much, and I don't know what's going to happen. I don't know these things, I'm only a teenager. To find out that she has this has just absolutely killed me inside. I don't feel anything except sadness and hate right now, normally I'm happy. 

I just don't know what's going to happen, and that's the scary part. Will she live? Die? Have 3 legs? I don't know! WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN? WHY?! I HATE CANCER I HATE IT I HATE IT! 

Animals with cancer (and many other forms of illnesses) are unaware there's anything wrong, unless of course they're in pain.  So for as long as they're not in pain, and especially being they're quite empathic to your feelings, don't wallow in sadness with them ... be normal, be happy, be happy to be with them as they are with you.  I hope this makes sense to you.

And on a related note:
I don't know if any of you have been following the science of such things;  But, Israeli scientists have recently announced they may have found a complete cure for cancer - all forms of cancer.  Testing begins this year.  If this turns out a success, it will change all of our lives... and maybe even trickle down to saving the likes of our pets as well.  Think positive.  Keep your eyes on these guys - Accelerated Evolution Biotechnologies Ltd. (AEBi).

[snip]

On 2/12/2019 at 12:09 PM, LordFerret said:

Animals with cancer (and many other forms of illnesses) are unaware there's anything wrong, unless of course they're in pain.  So for as long as they're not in pain, and especially being they're quite empathic to your feelings, don't wallow in sadness with them ... be normal, be happy, be happy to be with them as they are with you.  I hope this makes sense to you.

THIS.

The benefit of not knowing stuff cannot be underestimated. If they amputate the leg, the dog can still be just fine, BTW.

Our cat recently had to be put down, and she lived 9 years as a paraplegic. She had no clue she was a cripple (though she certainly pined to be outside, and made breaks for it whenever possible). They are adaptable creatures, but as LordFerret said, they will only pick up on how you act.

Edited by Vanamonde

On 2/12/2019 at 3:18 PM, tater said:

[snip]

The benefit of not knowing stuff cannot be underestimated. If they amputate the leg, the dog can still be just fine, BTW.

Our cat recently had to be put down, and she lived 9 years as a paraplegic. She had no clue she was a cripple (though she certainly pined to be outside, and made breaks for it whenever possible). They are adaptable creatures, but as LordFerret said, they will only pick up on how you act.

I hope that they'll be able to remove it or maybe amputate the leg, because at least then she won't die. But if worst comes to worst, I don't know if i'll be alright

Edited by Vanamonde

4 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I hope that they'll be able to remove it or maybe amputate the leg, because at least then she won't die. But if worst comes to worst, I don't know if i'll be alright

It's sad, but it gets better, you'll be fine. I still feel sad about previous dogs when I think about them, but I also feel happy that I got to spend all the time I did with them. Pets don't live as long as we do, and losing them is part of the bargain for all the unconditional affection they give us.

As they say, be the person your dog thinks you are.

7 minutes ago, tater said:

It's sad, but it gets better, you'll be fine. I still feel sad about previous dogs when I think about them, but I also feel happy that I got to spend all the time I did with them. Pets don't live as long as we do, and losing them is part of the bargain for all the unconditional affection they give us.

As they say, be the person your dog thinks you are.

I'll try to be

• 1 month later...

It is scary news at first, but it isn't that bad after a bit. Take my dog for example - he's had a bajillion cancers lumps cut out him, but all the cancers have been only first-stage. I still wish you luck and hope that the treatment goes well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.