Vast/Launcher

tater

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New update:

These are impressive stats. Oxygen-Rich Staged Combustion, so not surprising it's performing above Merlin. It's not as high as RD-180 though. Wonder what the TWR is like.

Edited by RCgothic

• 8 months later...

From the press release, it seems Launcher were already working on the space tug. Now the company with ambitions of making a space station has the tools and talent to build a kerelox engine and space tug with high vacuum performance. I wish them well.

Edit: Oh dear. The first launch of the space tug essentially went down with all hands.

Edited by AckSed
Adding link

On 2/22/2023 at 5:41 AM, AckSed said:

From the press release, it seems Launcher were already working on the space tug. Now the company with ambitions of making a space station has the tools and talent to build a kerelox engine and space tug with high vacuum performance. I wish them well.

Edit: Oh dear. The first launch of the space tug essentially went down with all hands.

From the ars article, they had an issue with the GPS antenna system on the spacecraft. They plan to try again this summer.

• 2 months later...

Arstechnica article on the Vast station.

My key takeaway here is that it's going to draw on the Dragon capsule for life-support:

The Dragon spacecraft will remain powered on the entire time it is attached to Haven-1, providing some of the consumables such as air or water and other services needed to keep humans alive. By leaning on SpaceX and its experience developing these life support systems for Dragon, Vast will attempt to develop a space station on a quicker timeline.

A big, airtight can with solar panels, a window and docking port would indeed be simpler. Unless they design for it, it would essentially freeze like Salyut 7 once Dragon disconnects, though.

4 minutes ago, AckSed said:

A big, airtight can with solar panels, a window and docking port would indeed be simpler. Unless they design for it, it would essentially freeze like Salyut 7 once Dragon disconnects, though.

It says Dragon will provide part of the life support. Presumably it stays active without humans aboard as the needs are far reduced when not occupied?

645af22b2a94a6e81a6c2e9e_VAST-Haven1_Fai

Roadmap:

https://www.vastspace.com/roadmap

2025:

645adad3046e97418aac2a87_Haven-1-Outline

2028 (7m dia, launched w/SS—though this might also be launched agnostic with NG (smart)):

645aa80891e70d2e835b7c6e_starship-module

2030s:

645acb859a35a8282f36417a_stick-stations.

The above spins.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 12:35 PM, tater said:

It says Dragon will provide part of the life support. Presumably it stays active without humans aboard as the needs are far reduced when not occupied?

With those panels, if there are enough batteries, I imagine it could stay above freezing on its own with a simple thermostat, a single heating element and a circulation fan

...if it can maintain attitude on it's own

1 hour ago, tater said:

Has RCS... unsure how it would be replenished.

Would require resupply periodically.  Maybe automated refueling by that outfit that wants to make a biz out of refueling satellites.  Or just from visiting Dragons. 

Proposed sign near hatch:

Be conscientious! Leave full RCS tanks and adequate toilet paper when you depart!

49 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Would require resupply periodically.  Maybe automated refueling by that outfit that wants to make a biz out of refueling satellites.  Or just from visiting Dragons. 

Proposed sign near hatch:

Be conscientious! Leave full RCS tanks and adequate toilet paper when you depart!

Yeah, but Dragon does not have that capability. Maybe inert gas? How much RCS does it really need?

1 hour ago, tater said:

Yeah, but Dragon does not have that capability. Maybe inert gas? How much RCS does it really need?

Guessing: Unlike ISS, which is constantly occupied and constantly changing orientation (I gather) to present instruments earthward or to optimize thermal dissipation, I presume, an unoccupied VAST would only need to keep attitude for PV optimal angle, and to possibly orient to a docking craft and cancel rotation for docking so would probably not need much fuel. 

But having the dockee orient its nearest port to the docking craft port is how I often do it in a kOS/KSP dockee script.  Pretty sure ISS does not do this, but VAST may I suppose.  It can save the docking craft a lot of fuel by avoiding having to navigate an approach from the correct side

Edited by darthgently

On 6/4/2023 at 11:33 PM, darthgently said:

Guessing: Unlike ISS, which is constantly occupied and constantly changing orientation (I gather) to present instruments earthward or to optimize thermal dissipation, I presume, an unoccupied VAST would only need to keep attitude for PV optimal angle, and to possibly orient to a docking craft and cancel rotation for docking so would probably not need much fuel. 

But having the dockee orient its nearest port to the docking craft port is how I often do it in a kOS/KSP dockee script.  Pretty sure ISS does not do this, but VAST may I suppose.  It can save the docking craft a lot of fuel by avoiding having to navigate an approach from the correct side

Yes much lighter station so less need for RCS. Probably depend more on reaction wheels? 

Now that I see as more of an problem, only one docking port as I can see so they will need to carry all they need for the stay with them in the dragon. 
Including extra RCS in the cabin. 
Yes you could undock the current dragon and dock another crew dragon with supplies but that would be very bad if that docking failed and damaged the stations only docking adapter. 

Now it could be that the first station is designed as an testbed with an lifespan of 1-3 missions only.

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Yes much lighter station so less need for RCS. Probably depend more on reaction wheels

I think you'd still need RCS to periodically desaturate the reaction wheels.  Or have Dragon visits often enough to do that.

Another element missing from KSP 

50 minutes ago, darthgently said:

I think you'd still need RCS to periodically desaturate the reaction wheels.  Or have Dragon visits often enough to do that.

Another element missing from KSP 

Without crew it just need power to keep temperature manage, you could always do some 360 degree flips to reset your build up torque. 
I assume Hubble does this, I rotate 270 degree to next target to reduce build up torque. For GEO satellites I assume station keeping eat most of their fuel and desaturation is an minor part of it or they could go offline and flip. 

• 9 months later...

Resurrecting this thread,

Bring out yer dead!

I'm not dead yet!

Very beautiful plume.   I didn't read the whole thread of comments, but I wonder what the chamber pressure is?

Edited by darthgently

I’m assuming to get the blue flame with kerolox (although that tweet doesn’t specify lox), they must be running lean (oxy-rich). I believe the usual glowy orange of kerolox exhaust is from glowing soot (unburnt carbon)  particles 

Edited by StrandedonEarth
Autocowrecked

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I’m assuming to get the blue flame with kerolox (although that tweet doesn’t specify lox), they must be running lean (oxy-rich). I believe the usual glowy orange of kerolox exhaust is from glowing soot (unburnt carbon)  particles 

Yes, they are definitely running oxy-rich

Sure looks like a lot of plumbing there.  Might be angle and lens of camera making it seem more than it is

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't the E-2 one of the few non-Russian engines using oxygen cooling? And don't they have a Russian propulsion engineer? That might explain it running oxygen-rich.