Artemis Discussion Thread

Nightside

While you're waiting...

I've gotten the Build a Better Saturn spreadsheet closer to where I want it after cleaning up some of the kinks in the math. Please take a look, play around with it, and let me know if you see any inconsistencies or errors I need to know about.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UNuPfjZE-YVIrmLINiUMcOzJk-voZ2TqM6R7MgyaM-I/edit?usp=sharing

4 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Note that every single landing site is a crater rim, zero are in shadowed craters. Not that this is new news, it's always been that way, but nice to see it put to bed.

https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-20-405

rId14_image2.png

Additional cost growth and schedule delays are likely after NASA establishes a new launch date for Artemis I—an uncrewed test flight of the Space Launch System, Orion crew capsule, and associated ground systems. Further, in 2019, GAO found that the Space Launch System (SLS) and Orion programs have underreported cost growth. GAO recommended that SLS calculate cost growth based on costs that are currently included in the first mission and that the Orion program update its cost estimate to reflect the schedule agreed to in its baseline. Both recommendations still require action to address. Looking ahead, NASA will continue to face significant cost and schedule risks as it undertakes complex efforts to return to the moon under an aggressive time frame.

• Blue Origin of Kent, Washington, is developing the Integrated Lander Vehicle (ILV) – a three-stage lander to be launched on its own New Glenn Rocket System and ULA Vulcan launch system. 
  • Dynetics (a Leidos company) of Huntsville, Alabama, is developing the Dynetics Human Landing System (DHLS) – a single structure providing the ascent and descent capabilities that will launch on the ULA Vulcan launch system. 
  • SpaceX of Hawthorne, California, is developing the Starship – a fully integrated lander that will use the SpaceX Super Heavy rocket. 

Launch Vehicles are New Glenn, Vulcan, and Super Heavy. Interesting that Falcon Heavy is not utilized.

Also, audio quality of the stream is awful.

The Dynetics model looks a lot like the two-stage ascent/descent version I proposed a few months ago.

The three-stage ILV looks like a big descent stage that handles transfer from LOP-G to the surface, an ascent stage that jumps from the lunar surface to LLO, and a reusable crew capsule that goes back to LOP-G. Which I also proposed.

8 minutes ago, Canopus said:

Sorry but Starship sitting on the Moon looks beyond ridiculous, not to mention dangerous. I doubt it be selected if it were avaiable.

It is available and it was selected. What am I missing?

1 minute ago, Canopus said:

it just looks like its about to topple over any second. Also the fact that the egress is so high above ground.

It has a low center of gravity, thanks to the engines.

Seems like they could easily add F9 style legs to a lunar version.

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

It is available and it was selected. What am I missing?

It has a low center of gravity, thanks to the engines.

Also seems to have engine level cargo pods installed.