Artemis Discussion Thread

Nightside

Reality check:

Vulcan hardware.

New Glenn hardware (also tanks, not just fairing).

Starship hardware (loads of this, iterating along).

All of this stuff will be flying before humans climb on top of SLS. 2 of 3 will be crew rated from the start, BTW (Vulcan and NG). SS not crew rated (I won't hold my breath on that, personally), but 100-150t to LEO means that crew can fly some other way if needed.

Edited by tater

19 minutes ago, jadebenn said:

Let me kick up the salt a bit:

The current schedule is 2024. Yeah, he's probably right, as the only crew vehicle with the capability at the moment is Orion (assuming tests flights work—something I would have assumed to be about 99.9% likely until Starliner, honestly).

The lander? I'll judge any lander when we start seeing it built. Also tested, all up. Any modern spacecraft should be able to fly the entire mission without crew, so it will be interesting to see them test the lander by landing it (or doing a transfer to LLO, then deorbit, then before landing an abort back to NRHO to demonstrate capability).

On 3/14/2020 at 3:08 AM, sevenperforce said:

And crash goes the gateway. What did we expect?

I don't think that is what he is saying.  The PLAN is not to rendezvous with Gateway on the 2024 mission, and the mission will be designed assuming Gateway is not there initially.  It might be, it might not be.  But the PLAN is to assume it is not there.

https://www.space.com/nasa-remove-lunar-gateway-artemis-critical-path.html

SpaceNews reported that, at the meeting, Loverro said that he aims to "de-risk" Artemis and simplify the program by focusing only on activities necessary to achieve the lunar landing. 

"What are we going to do to go ahead and make that happen? And the answer is you've got to go ahead and remove all the things that add to program risk along the way," SpaceNews quoted Loverro as saying.

"If it's not mandatory, it's not necessary," he added.

According to the SpaceNews report, Loverro went on to say that things that "add to program risk" include activities that have never been accomplished before in space. 

Emphasis mine. And now we have an Apollo project clone, with the same promise of greater lunar infrastructure we got in the '70s, and the same politically insurmountable costs and twisted bureaucracy. What's more, Artemis is now shying away from doing anything new! That's terrible, we won't ever really get out there thinking like that. Any new crewed lunar program must explore ISRU water mining and utilization of regolith for base and road building, but since that's never been done before it's off the table for NASA. :mad: 

They should be designing payloads for Starship, and collaborating on its expansive crew cabin. The real explorers are in the private sector now, they are the ones willing to take any risks at all and most importantly try something new once in a while. 

/strong opinions

Edit: JPL is still cool tho. :3

Edited by cubinator

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

Any new crewed lunar program must explore ISRU water mining and utilization of regolith for base and road building, but since that's never been done before it's off the table for NASA. :mad: 

Exploring the moon from a scientific perspective is not in the category of "never been done before".  They are going to the moon to do science, including searching and experimenting with for in situ resources.  That's the whole purpose of the mission, it hasn't yet resorted to flags and footprints.

When they refer to doing something new, it is more about establishing a permanent space station in NRHO with multiple launches, docking multiple craft with it, fuel pumping, etc.  

They should be designing payloads for Starship, and collaborating on its expansive crew cabin. The real explorers are in the private sector now, they are the ones willing to take any risks at all and most importantly try something new once in a while. 

OFFS, Starship by 2024?  I will believe that when I see it.  I think human life is still important in the private sector.

18 minutes ago, jinnantonix said:

Exploring the moon from a scientific perspective is not in the category of "never been done before".  They are going to the moon to do science, including searching and experimenting with for in situ resources.  That's the whole purpose of the mission, it hasn't yet resorted to flags and footprints.

When they refer to doing something new, it is more about establishing a permanent space station in NRHO with multiple launches, docking multiple craft with it, fuel pumping, etc.  

I certainly hope so. And I hope they pick up the pace. Proper exploration requires many frequent launches, which is why I think SpaceX and Blue Origin's launch vehicles are far better suited for the task.

28 minutes ago, jinnantonix said:

OFFS, Starship by 2024?  I will believe that when I see it.  I think human life is still important in the private sector.

Meanwhile, SLS will be ready in 2018? 

I think cargo Starship and the first SLS test flight will occur around the same time.

44 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I certainly hope so. And I hope they pick up the pace. Proper exploration requires many frequent launches, which is why I think SpaceX and Blue Origin's launch vehicles are far better suited for the task.

Commercial launches are a big part of Artemis.  I estimate that for each SLS launch, there will be at least 2 commercial launches.

Meanwhile, SLS will be ready in 2018? 

I think cargo Starship and the first SLS test flight will occur around the same time.

I think that shows the difficulty in getting human rating for a launch vehicle.

On 3/18/2020 at 12:53 AM, jinnantonix said:

I think that shows the difficulty in getting human rating for a launch vehicle.

Wasn't SLS supposed to have all components already tested and human-rated during the Shuttle program? It looked like a big advantage of SLS over other designs.

2 hours ago, tater said:

So add 250 M$ to each B1 launch when calculating costs.

I suppose 4 uses of Block 1 is better than a single use from a ML cost perspective, but B1 should never have existed in the first place. It's the Saturn C3 of SLS.

12 minutes ago, tater said:

?

Blue Origin is the prime contractor for one of the Artemis lander proposals (they will provide the descent stage and work with other contractors to integrate the ascent and transfer elements). But their current design is too heavy to throw to TLI/NRHO with the desired margins. 

The schedule also keeps slipping, as it always does.

1 hour ago, Bill Phil said:

Blue Origin is the prime contractor for one of the Artemis lander proposals (they will provide the descent stage and work with other contractors to integrate the ascent and transfer elements). But their current design is too heavy to throw to TLI/NRHO with the desired margins. 

The schedule also keeps slipping, as it always does.

What's the current total mass estimate of Blue Moon?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RCgothic said:

I think this is the first piece of the entire program that has a reasonable chance of being ready on time and on budget.

I'm sure the dragon will need a few tweaks to get it to the moon and back, but probably not much.

2 hours ago, Nightside said:

I think this is the first piece of the entire program that has a reasonable chance of being ready on time and on budget.

I'm sure the dragon will need a few tweaks to get it to the moon and back, but probably not much.

I thought Northrop Grumman was a shoe-in with a modified Cygnus XL, but well done SpaceX.