ENB for KSP

PhoenixTheSage

Sup guys,

I'm new to KSP and to the forums so hi there :D Found this game through my clan mates and love it. Just loads of fun.

I figure any game can use some special effects somewhere and so I've found an ENB version and config that works with KSP, and I figured I'd share it with everyone. It'll add some nice bloom to your game. I think the water depth effects work as well. SSAO and motion blur however are pretty buggy so I'd stay away from them for now. (SSAO shaders will show through objects and make them transparent)

NOTE: This is fully customizable. If you don't like something,change it in the Enbseries.ini, it's all there. Documentation on these settings can be found here.

screenshot4sgj.png

screenshot6vr.png

Install:

Just drop the contents of the .rar into your install folder and start it up!

Download:

KSP Bloom

Edit: I'll get comparison shots later, I have to reinstall fraps. The in-game method of taking screenshots doesn't capture the overlay effects well for some reason.

Edited by PhoenixTheSage

He can't do attachments because he's got less than 5 posts. You can get around this as sal suggested by using a site like imgur.com.

I'm interested in what you can do to KSP with the ENB series. I've used it in other games and it can make things look much better.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

I'd like to actually be able to see what I'm doing instead of being blinded by an inexplicable, massive glow on everything.

That's blowing it out of proportion don't you think? Besides, you can edit the strength in the enbseries.ini if you don't like it :P... It's not just for bloom either. I really want to get SSAO working right, it adds soo much to any scene. It especially makes the space center screen look 100x better.

@kyle.mk.howard

As the post says---> Drag and drop in your games main installation folder. You'll know it works because the ENB version will show up in the top left corner when you start up the game, besides the obvious visual effects >_>

Edited by PhoenixTheSage

Why did you make everything blurry?

Is there a point to be proven here?

Do the normal graphixs settings not surpass your expectations?!

Um, nothing about it is blurry...and no, why would there be a point?

Look I'm just putting this out there. I think the graphics are fine in vanilla. It's all a matter of preference and some people are gonna want this so they can configure it to their desire.

before this can really take off, the shadows/occlusion question needs to be addressed. :\ it's rather weird to have a plane flying at night and lit brightly from below.

Yeah, this I noticed. Nothing I can really do about that :/

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'll see what I can do to improve this.

I need some help about this line of code?

What input dose it change? or are they keys to enable filters in-game?

[iNPUT]

KeyUseEffect=123

KeyBloom=120

KeyOcclusion=121

KeyReflection=122

KeyCombination=16

KeyShadow=119

KeyWater=118

Thanks..

My PC is rather choked by its CPU. What kind of performance hit can I expect from this addon (how costly is it CPU-wise)?

Generally bloom has little to no effect on performance on newer systems, but it's different for everyone. The only way to know for sure is to just try it out yourself. The effects are injected through directx and mostly rendered by your GPU I believe so I'd imagine you might be able to get away with it.

I need some help about this line of code?

What input dose it change? or are they keys to enable filters in-game?

The toggle keys for the different effects so you can turn them on/off in-game. See this page for reference: Input

Edited by PhoenixTheSage

This is neat, I'd like to see where it goes. Nothing wrong with adding a little flare to the game and it's a little surprising seeing some prominent users and devs bashing this. Not that they aren't entitled to their opinions but isn't that going against the spirit of the game and this community?

More on topic, I thought it was funny seeing "Resident Evil" as the first text that caught my eye when booting the game. The bloom is a bit crazy on the main menu which is probably what's turning some off right away. Also which of the ten plus parameters related to bloom do you recommend changing?

Edit: no impact on performance with this enabled for me. Though I've wondered why the game will run at 10 fps (launching ridiculous rockets) but my resource monitor only reports a maximum of ~12% CPU utilization by KSP.exe. But when I'm in the vehicle assembly building it's stable around 20-24% CPU. Chalk it up to optimization and single threadedness? (laptop quadcore i7 2.9ghz so 12.5% would be about 1/8th the processor's power)

Edited by Arkasai

Yeah its the lack of multi-thread support that is dragging it down same for me(Phenom II X6 2.4ghz, hd6970 both overclocked)...ill mess with the settings more when I get home, but try messing with the constant and curve variables, might get something interesting out of those.