[New] Space Launch System / Orion Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, Beccab said:

They also had the Constellation rover and suits lol

Well, at the very least I suppose the Constellation rover has made headlines in the Desert RATS 2022, so it’s more acceptable.

I’m surprised they don’t do outsourcing for animations, I’m sure there a number of people out there who would love to give us a video of the real Artemis architecture (with Starship HLS) for little to no cost, and it would be high quality too.

Just now, darthgently said:

Not sure how that applies.  The range radar is important enough to double up on stuff as cheap as off the shelf Ethernet.  It delayed the launch, nuff said

Many things should be, and in a sane world would be.  But they aren't, and single-point failures are much more common.

10 minutes ago, darthgently said:

An Ethernet switch? Dime a dozen.  Should be redundant throughout along with redundant cable runs and STP enabled for automatic rererouting on failure

I agree.  And it probably does have multiple redundancies.  However, if you know of a redundant system failure in advance, it often still makes sense to restore redundancy before continuing, instead of just relying on the backup device(s).  If it needed redundancy (and it seems prudent in this case), then all those redundant paths need to be functional to proceed.  

6 minutes ago, tater said:

My guess is trajectory people working hard since ICPS means they have to change all kinds of things with every t0 change.

I'm confident that there's a ginormous well-programmed system that specifically plans out every maneuver and burn and correction based on any possible t0. 

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

I'm confident that there's a ginormous well-programmed system that specifically plans out every maneuver and burn and correction based on any possible t0. 

Yeah, they are constantly updating it based on new T=0. It;s part of the ICPS constraints and elliptical parking orbit since they have to phase from launch.

1 minute ago, tater said:

Yeah, they are constantly updating it based on new T=0. It;s part of the ICPS constraints and elliptical parking orbit since they have to phase from launch.

I'm just saying, I'm sure that was already planned out aggressively.

It's a two-hour window. I'm sure there were 7,200 different subroutines all calculated and classified in advance for each possible second of launch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.