Mike Huges is at it again; RIP 22 Feb 2020

Shpaget

9 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

There are tons of reasons you might want to do that.

• Stage off your heat shield when you pop your drogues
  • Fire retrorockets and pop a chute simultaneously at spaceplane touchdown on a short runway
  • Place drogue chutes on a decoupler so they can be staged off when the mains are popped
  • Chute down parallel stages for recovery without requiring a probe core
  • Pop chutes and fairing simultaneously
  • Fire solid retrorockets and pop chutes at the same time for a high-altitude, low-opening (HALO) descent

Good points, I just thought off dropping payloads from an plane flying at low attitude for accuracy and needed to get it out of cargo bay.
Booster recovery might be the best one, think shuttle SRB

Now parachutes on initial staging should give you an warning message. 

29 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

There are tons of reasons you might want to do that.

• Stage off your heat shield when you pop your drogues
  • Fire retrorockets and pop a chute simultaneously at spaceplane touchdown on a short runway
  • Place drogue chutes on a decoupler so they can be staged off when the mains are popped
  • Chute down parallel stages for recovery without requiring a probe core
  • Pop chutes and fairing simultaneously
  • Fire solid retrorockets and pop chutes at the same time for a high-altitude, low-opening (HALO) descent

Most of them arre not engines, except the landing retrorockets

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Most of them arre not engines, except the landing retrorockets

Lots of people use sepratrons to stage off parallel stages, so if you chuted at staging you'd have that effect as well. 

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Now parachutes on initial staging should give you an warning message. 

I could get behind that. Pretty simple to implement, too. 

@kerbiloid hmmmm. Yer I think I can picture situations where you might use a chute and rocket in the same stage. Probably not by themselves but in conjunction with separation events maybe... I’m sure there are better ways to do things but I wouldn’t be for hard restrictions on staging, not setting up staging correctly can be a valuable learning scenario and allowing suboptimal solutions also lets you improve on past designs so I like the freedom basically.

Edited by Guest

On 2/23/2020 at 5:41 PM, ansaman said:

The video shown at the address looks just like a KSP staging error in which the parachute is deployed at launch. Unfortunately, this is a real person, a real rocket, and they are really dead. Viewer discretion is advised.  https://nypost.com/2020/02/23/mad-mike-hughes-fatal-rocket-crash-caught-on-video/

I'm sad now. R.I.P Mike Hughes.:(

4 minutes ago, Dale Christopher said:

Yer

I think you mean Yar, like da pirate, or Yeah, like the human, or Yer, like the meme man.

22 minutes ago, Dirkidirk said:

I'm sad now. R.I.P Mike Hughes.:(

I think you mean Yar, like da pirate, or Yeah, like the human, or Yer, like the meme man.

It might be an Australian thing

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

Maybe you are from Turkey, but everyone always told you it was Australia.

I’m pretty sure if I launched myself high enough in a rocket if I look down I will see Australia :P

33 minutes ago, Dale Christopher said:

I’m pretty sure if I launched myself high enough in a rocket if I look down I will see Australia :P

Maybe if you launched yourself high enough in a rocket you would hit the ceiling and discover you are the star of a reality TV show, like Jim Carey in The Truman Show.

7 hours ago, Dirkidirk said:

australia doesn't exist, you're just a paid actor

Back then I was on vacation in Florida I was diving a lot but did not see any sea horses while the apartment we rented had lots of sea horse decorations. 
I starting claiming they was just made up to fool tourists. Such an surreal fish who can hardly swim is just fantasy just like mermaids

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.