How do I switch to Liquid Hydrogen?

Hello Guys and Gals,

after many years I celebrated my return to glorious KSP with a heavy modded game. I am familiar with the game and most of its mechanics, but for the life of it - i cant switch to liquid hydrogen in my tanks.

I use KSPIE and its fuel switch and almost all tanks seem to support liquid hydrogen, but I can only switch to LF, LFO and LO. Do I have to mine it? Because I have already an hydrogen engine and took a part - testing contract for it :confused: so I assumed I can switch easily to the required fuel ...

And I searched the Internet ... the search had confusing results and I am not sure what to make of them.

So Thx in advance and yes ... maybe I should have had a look at the stock game first ... last version i played seriously had a zero as the first digit :D

Edited by Spallo

KSPIE is KSP - Interstellar Extended in case you missed it.

I also use Near Future (not all parts of it) and have the B9 part switch installed, but I dont find anything useful in the configs. 

So is it rather a mod issue than some dumb "not knowing gameplay" from my side? 

16 minutes ago, Spallo said:

KSPIE is KSP - Interstellar Extended in case you missed it.

I also use Near Future (not all parts of it) and have the B9 part switch installed, but I dont find anything useful in the configs. 

So is it rather a mod issue than some dumb "not knowing gameplay" from my side? 

I know what Interstellar is, but I haven't used it. And yeah, might be a mod conflict or something. If a given tank is supposed to support LH2, it's supposed to have a switch option on the part context menu. You might need to turn on advanced tweakables.

Advanced Tweakables didnt do anything.

And I should clarify ... I see the part context menu and can klick it, but there are only LF, LFO and LO available. So maybe I am missing a config or so? But I dont have any idea which or where to get it.

Is it an option to remove KSPIE - Fuel switch and try modular tanks or something like that?

And I should also add, that I am very early in my save ... so maybe the tanks cant be more than this options. But I frankly dont know about this gameplay concept, because I had never to use any other fuel.

Edited by Spallo

So I did some testing and got weird results.

I started a new game in sandbox mode and everything worked fine. I was able to switch the cryotanks und the normal tanks too. So I guess it is not an mod issue.

Then I started a new career save, where I checked, if I have to research specific nodes in order to unlock the ability to switch. The first cryoengine is in the rocketry 45 science node (I use community tech tree of course) and the first cryotank in a 90 science node. I assumed if I at least unlock both, then I will be able to switch. But I was not.

Then I tested, if it has something to do with the VAB Lvl or maybe the R&D Lvl. Nope ... it has not. In career I was not able to switch the normal fuel tanks at all. The cryotanks worked with the other switch - interface. Same in Science mode, where I researched the first tech nodes and the KSC is at max obviously.

I do not know what to make of this. Because I had not enough funds and science, I was not able to check, if the ability in career is present when I unlock all science - nodes. I assume I can work around this problem for a while, but I rly would want to know, if the switching will be possible at all (I guess eventually).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.