Weather and Weather Effects Discussion

GoldForest

So, I've seen a little talk about weather being added into KSP. 

I don't really know how I feel about this. 

On one hand, weather would be a nice challenge to over come. 

On the other hand, the challenge might not be what some people want. 

I'm in both categories.

So, my idea is that they should have two separate weather systems. Physical weather and cosmetic weather.

Physical weather: Wind can vere a rocket off course, lightning can strike a rocket and disable the HUD for a couple of seconds, etc.

Cosmetic weather: Dust, snow, sand, ice, etc can form on the rocket during respective storms. 

This is a good idea, but i am more concerned about bigger atmosferic and weather effects, like tornadoes and hurricanes.

There could be violent storms and powerfull wind, which forces the player to cancel the flight, or to launch before the storm arrives.

To make it more easy to predict bad weather, could be added meteorological stations and scanners to deploy on the surface or into orbit of a planet.

I had an idea about volcanic and tectonic activity in KSP 2, but, that way KSP 2 won t be Kerbal Space Program anymore, but Kerbal Interplanetary Research Program...

(image from new horizons mod for ksp)

latest?cb=20160123204727

For cosmetic weather / atmospheric effects, i think it's possible for KSP 2 have it already or they implementing it right now.

Physical weather not come in the first KSP 2 release, but possible in future update.

(Infos from some interviews)

3 hours ago, runner78 said:

For cosmetic weather / atmospheric effects, i think it's possible for KSP 2 have it already or they implementing it right now.

Physical weather not come in the first KSP 2 release, but possible in future update.

(Infos from some interviews)

care to reference? I thought they said they wouldnt be implementing weather, but if they are thatd be awesome

I'm ambivalent about this.  On the one hand, I'd really like an proper atmospheric model that allowed weather monitoring and forecasting, as Andrei said.  On the other hand, that's a lot of computation that could be used for the more important spacecraft modelling and there aren't many bodies you can land on that also have an atmosphere (Kerbin, Eve, Duna, Laythe ?) so it will hardly add anything.

Gripping hand, purely cosmetic are a lot simpler but I'd still want to be able to turn them off so I can see what's going on.  This is already an issue with the clouds mod in KSP 1.

On 10/10/2019 at 1:33 AM, GoldForest said:

Physical weather: Wind can vere a rocket off course, lightning can strike a rocket and disable the HUD for a couple of seconds, etc.

They stated "no dynamic weather" while we were there just before PAX, so looks like this won't be a thing.

If they've said elsewhere at some later time that it might be a future thing, I wouldn't know about that, I haven't heard anything about it-- would like to see a citation.

As for cosmetic effects (e.g. clouds, dust storms, etc.), we asked about it and it was "no comment" at the time.

15 hours ago, Snark said:

They stated "no dynamic weather" while we were there just before PAX, so looks like this won't be a thing.

If they've said elsewhere at some later time that it might be a future thing, I wouldn't know about that, I haven't heard anything about it-- would like to see a citation.

As for cosmetic effects (e.g. clouds, dust storms, etc.), we asked about it and it was "no comment" at the time.

I know, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss the want or need for a weather system and how it should behave.

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I know, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss the want or need for a weather system and how it should behave.

I can only find one released mod for KSP weather; it's been abandoned since 2017 and the license is all rights reserved; only looks like one other person was building one but i couldn't find a release page. This is a suprising hole in KSP 1s mod library.