Horrible Time with Interstage Fairing Design

I read that if you (somehow) attach a fairing midship, it will snap-to-close on the next round part.  I assume it's just looking for any round shape that matches the size of the fairing base, but regardless of what I try or how I connect these things, I just can't seem to get a stock fairing to close on the next round part.

Has anyone had any luck at all getting these things to work in stock?  ...and if so, what's the secret?

24 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I've found that you generally have to clip it in just a little bit to the next part.

Can you get an image of exactly what you're trying to do it on?

In the SPH, just take two circular fuel tanks or any circular parts...   and try to put a fairing in between them.

I mean, I'm talking about THE most basic possible of implementations.  I would actually ask the opposite, if anyone can explain or show an example that works for any configuration.  I'm willing to adapt my design, but I can't make it work at all under any circumstance.  I have to be missing something with how to connect the terminating circular part to the fairing structure correctly?

I've read that it (supposedly) will snap to the next round section, but I'm just not seeing it happen.  I can always clip it as you suggest, I just really wish I could make it work without the clipping hack. 

Edited by XLjedi

20 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

There's also the nifty Decoupler Shrouds mod which makes this sort of thing much easier and obviates the need for an interstage fairing.

Appreciate the suggestion, but I avoid ALL part mods like the plague. 

Anything that adds a part or even a script reference (like KIS) to the .craft file that would be detected as a "non-stock" variant is just a non-starter for me.  I do like to use mods for visuals and GUI interface flight tools and so forth.

20 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

There's also the nifty Decoupler Shrouds mod which makes this sort of thing much easier and obviates the need for an interstage fairing.

Does the mod actually shield the contents from drag though?  Or does it just make it look cleaner?

I love the stock engine plates, but unfortunately their shrouds are just cosmetic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.