[20.x]BobCat Ind. Release

BobCat

I believe,everybody here to the forum,have a personal life.

Nobody can know what can happened to this life,i believe we are lucky because there are persons like "BobCat" and another creators,and create all these beautyfull packs and parts.

I hope BobCat be good to his personal life,and someday he will release something!

(Sorry for my english)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow those are some really cool looking parts! I never got the chance to mess around with any Bobcat parts unfortunately as by the time I discovered them there were some compatibility issues, namely getting in or out of a rover. But I REALLY can't wait for the revival looking at those new H.O.M.E 2 parts. I want that solar array on every single ship!

That's great to hear, BobCat. :) BTW, did you get my PM? It concerns the ISS parts. Oh, and don't forget I'm still up for testing your parts. If you have any problems, PM me and I'll try to help.

Bobcat, With all due respect, I heavily suggest you release anything functional you have now. If your not gonna work on Home2, At least give us something to play with!

I understand you are a perfectionist, But that is a useless trait if nothing ever gets released.. Please stop the cycle of feature creep.

At least this will prevent the Soonâ„¢ /from turning into Neverâ„¢

Hi All,

While BobCat can certainly speak for himself, I just want to remind people that modders go at their own pace. Our wishing, begging and even demanding in some cases, will do nothing but frustrate the modder and quite possibly have the opposite affect -- they wash their hands of what they perceive as an unappreciative and/or whiny community and never release another thing again.

Having played KSP since .17 or so, I've seen the response from a lot of modders to repeated requests for a release date or demands that something be released now. It's never achieved the desired goal. It just hasn't.

I would respectfully and politely request that people show patience. BobCat produces amazing mods. He'll share with the community when he is ready. Till then I suggest we wait, offering words of encouragement occasionally and let the man work.

Still, some news would be nice (or at least response to PMs...). I can understand he might be bogged down, but it'd be nice to at least know what's happening.

No, You didn't miss anything.. I understand Bobcat is under a lot of pressure, but nothing new has been released for what almost seems like a year now.. At least for HOME. (Which is the pack I use.)

I totally understand modders getting frustrated, but in my opinion bobcat asks for it by posting pictures of what appears to be functional vehicles while saying they're coming soon. Bobcat does this a lot, just look thru his various threads. If he really has a problem with people asking about this stuff, then why post all the pics and info?

You guys need to give it a rest. He will release them when he has time and thinks they are ready. He has said in the past he will not release anything unfinished or give them to someone else to continue the work. He tried it in the past and they ended up messin it up (his words a while back) Im sure it's really annoying for him to work on new stuff when people keep hounding him to fix the old stuff. Have you guys ever thought he doesn't want to continue the old parts and work on something fresh and new to keep his interests in the game alive? Maybe he isn't happy with them just yet and wants to get them just right before releasing them. Maybe he has a family and needs to focus on them more. There are a lot of things we don't know about BobCat but I think it's real lame to keep hounding him. Just show him some support and quit nagging him.

*snip*
Hear, hear.

People have all right to be impatient, but there's no need to make sardonic and openly inflammatory posts. That's no way to support a modder who has put out nothing but quality work for so long.

Why are users always pushing and rushing devs or modders? Do they think it will make them work faster? - This thread is not for slave driving!

If a user is not happy with a dev's or modder's output maybe he should take matters into his own hands and make the mods himself.

Bobcat is one of the biggest contributors to KSP modding. He has made so much stuff that its even hard to keep track of it all. Can you imagine how hard it was to make all that stuff?

Please don't complain about timelines or deadlines... After all, KSP isn't even finished, and most importantly, other people don't work for you!

Just be happy that you can use the mods for free, whenever they are released....

Be nice, play nice and thank your modders and developers for the awesome stuff they give you for free....

Edited by Prowler_x1

So, then, by the standards of several BobCat defenders, NO criticism of any kind should ever be voiced about any mod, regardless of the reason, right?

I disagree. I like BobCat's stuff, I really do, and I have several of his mods/parts in my game as I speak, and I use them quite a lot. However, they are ALL woefully outdated, and I've had to use a lot of workarounds and config editing to keep them functioning, and NONE of them have the full functionality that they did when they were first released. Why? Because BobCat has obviously had no interest in keeping them up to date or replacing them with newer versions. Is he required to do that? No, of course not. But I, also and therefore, have the right to criticize that state of affairs, do I not? I realize he may have commitments to things in life other than modding for KSP, however, when he periodically releases videos on YouTube showing progress on mod development, or new parts that are obviously functional IN GAME, and then never releases those parts, I view that as a bit of a slap in the face. It's like he's saying "I COULD take the time to package these parts up and release them to you, my fans, for YOU to play with... but I WON'T." For myself, it's more a point of principle, or honor, if you will. If I say that 'I am going to create a certain thing for you to use, and I am going to show you that I'm working on it by providing evidence of progress in the form of pictures and videos', to me that's a form of a promise. "I will do this thing." So, then, when that thing doesn't EVER happen, that means that I broke my word. I said I was going to do it, then I didn't. Simple.

It would be different if this were an isolated incident in BobCat's history, but unfortunately that's not the case. And you and I know he's not unique in that regard, there are plenty of other modders out there that do the same thing. Devogen is one I could name as a specific case. Lots of stuff 'in development', ready to be released 'next week' or 'Soontm', and then you never hear or see anything about them again.

Therefore, after having been involved here on the forum for a while, the result is that I've stopped assuming that a mod project will ever be released until I actually see a download link. :) But that's not going to stop me from occasionally 'calling them out' on it, as it were.

Anyway, here's the main gist of what I'm trying to say. I don't think that ANY modder should be completely above any and all criticism. I hope that they, BobCat and Devo and anyone else that I or anyone else choose to criticize in this fashion understand that it is intended in a constructive way, as in 'hey, YOU SAID you were going to do X, remember? How's it going with that?'

Finally, I'd like to think that we're all (well, somewhat) grownups here, so whether or not the modder to whom any criticism is directed AGREES with said criticism, I think that they can handle it and go on about their lives without any major scarring or ongoing trauma. :)

So, Bobcat, sir, I continue to be a fan of your many mods and parts packs, and I hope you continue to work on updating and improving ALL of them, in your own time and in your own unique way. Just remember, you have A LOT of very eager fans of your work out here, and we are all very VERY anxious and excited to have the opportunity to play with all of the great stuff we've seen in your videos and screenshots. We hope you understand that asking (begging? DEMANDING?!?) for updates or progress reports or releases of your parts isn't intended to anger you or seem to be in any way upsetting or derogatory towards you and your work, it is because we LOVE your work that we want and ask for even more cool stuff. :)

'Nuff said, I think. For now, anyway. Neutrinovore out. :D

*snip*

Here freakin Here.

So many times whenever I have criticized a modder (constructively or through something jokingly), a boat load of defenders/moderators/and sometimes the modder him/herself would shut me down and essentially tell me that unless I'm here to post about a glitch or praise the mod, I should get out. And that's what I've done for a while. It was pointless to me to try to invest any time in trying to say otherwise.

Sooo.... yeah... just happy to see I'm not the only one :D

Edited by KasperVld
removed some minor profanity

I have always made it clear, with in my parting statements, that I appreciate what these great Modders have done throughout the community. In fact I started a thread about the legality of allowing people to place donation tabs. I am sure I was not the only one, but very soon after, several Modders placed them into their DL pages.

What I am saying is I support this side of gaming, but on the other hand, I agree with those that choose to say, "Look (insert Modder name here), you have said you will not allow others to continue your work, but yet you choose to leave 80% of your mods in disrepair, all along claiming you are going to fix them". Hell man, just say NO, I am not fixing it, its dead, then hand it off. Or take a bit of time to fix some of them. Ask for some help.... I am sure their are tons of people that would be glad to help just to play with the Mod again.

Bobcat, you have created Mods that kept my interest in KSP for a very long time. But on the other hand, you have shown some of us something that is a bit hard to explain with out sounding rude or disrespectful. And since when is it politically incorrect for a release ETA? I am not talking about the morons that post this question directly under one of the same. But its a common courtesy to let your fans know approximately when you are planing on releasing.

Finaly and lastly a small list of Mods that a Huge amount of Kerbals cant come to work without.

1) A few of your select Rovers.

2) Functional Russian and American parts packs. (I miss the Buran and cant for the life of me figure out whats wrong)

3) Get the Co-op with the ISS running at full speed, this is something that KSP lacks big time imo.

4) Hand them off to some of the qualified Modders. We all know how many exist that are more than capable of handling them with taste and respect.

Please do not take these comments as an attack, or that I have "ANY" intentions of being a ****, I am a huge fan that misses your Mods, that's it.

BTW: Forums are for input and info. All kinds, not just the kind that makes you look like the teachers pet, nor one that makes you look like the entitled spoiled prick.

As always, from Oregon, thanks Dragon, Laz, r4m0n, Athlonic, Winston & Kickasskyle, bac9(MIA), Dani-Sang, Kulesz, Majiir, Keptin, David, sirkut(Special to me), Forecaster, Payo, KospY, Winn75, Romfarer, ferram and Bobcat. Im sorry for not including more, but we all do think about what you guys have done for all of us. Last but first on my list.......STUBBLES. Its kinda sad that when I thank a Modder, I only get a "your welcome" about 8% of the time. But I still take the time to say THANK YOU

DREN

Edited by ArkaelDren

You're welcome. :) TBH, my personal philosophy is to generally give ETA if I can (though after many a fiasco with the CSS overhaul, I've started to become a bit superstitious about it), and to take criticism respectably, fixing and correcting what I can.

I'd say, it's probably not BobCat's fault that he disappeared, but he could at least give indication what's going on (I recall a vague indication that RL has been hard on him, but no details). He posted a lot of teasers, but so far only released the upgraded Soyuz, and even that's a single test version. I suppose he might just be very very busy (as it often happens to people), but he could at least give a definite confirmation.

Oh, and a tip to all vicious "defenders" of one modder or the other: I consider such "anti-criticism" an insult, because it implies that the modder can't adequately respond to the criticism himself. Many modders actually take it better than most of their fans, in fact. Best example: OLDD thread. I complained about red struts on Saturn V LES. I got flamed by the fans and even moderators jumped in on the action. And what Denny did? Repainted the struts white for the next release. Noone complained after that. :)