Unoccupied orbiting vehicle starts spinning on its own

Back in December I had the same problem with a small vehicle in orbit of Eve, but now the issue has struck again, this time in Kerbin orbit.

I have a vehicle which is unoccupied and has no probe core, but it does have a command seat, that Jeb was sitting in. The vehicle was fine until Jeb left the seat, at which point it started to spin up, getting faster and faster. After a couple of minutes it spinning at multiple revolusions per seconds, and ultimately so fast that it tears itself apart.

When this problem occured before, I thought someone had posted a solution to this (which I can't find), which I remembered as being to go to the Tracking Station, then back to the vessel, but that doesn't work.

So... anyone have a solution to this?

If all else fails I'll edit Jeb back into the seat.

Edited by purpleivan

5 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

Hmm, big problem.

I do believe though that the ASAT technology to solve your problem may have been researched/deployed last year.  Try this:

Anti Satellite you say... sounds like another way of break it into bits :)

I need to use the vessel as is, as it's part of a challenge entry.

4 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

Sorry.  (all sheepish).  I am surprised that just getting focus on it and then applying warp (it's in space, right), wouldn't halt the rotation...?

No, tried that. It just starts spinning up again immediately that warp ends.

Ok... the spinning problem has now stopped.

Not certain what fixed it, as there was a lot of swapping between vehicles, putting vehicles on the pad then recovering them, before I went back to the vehicle and noticed it had stopped spinning.

2 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

If you have a joystick plugged in, make sure it's centered. 

It's not drift on a joystick as I don't have one plugged in.

I've no idea what causes this, or what ultimately stops it... it's weird and annoying, but at least not that frequent.

Edited by purpleivan

9 hours ago, bonyetty said:

Your trim setting?

We have a winner :)

At first I was about to say "no... nothing to do with trim, there's no aerodynamics involved", then read the thread linked to. One quick test later and I can confirm that this was the problem. Fixed by pressing Alt X.

I had no idea there was this functionality in the game.

Thanks for that answer, it was begining to drive me nuts not knowing what it was.

Edited by purpleivan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.