Glowing Asteroid Rarity

So how often do glowing asteroids occur when you plan a capture for one? I have a few in orbit around kerbin for the PC version but for PS4 I'm trying to get one in orbit. Is there a certain algorithm for how they generate? 

Someone around here tested that some time ago and posted a number, but I don't remember what it was anymore. Something like one in 15, or 20, or 40, or so will be a magic asteroid.

What I do remember is that the asteroid is only really generated when you get it into physics range for the first time, i.e. when you get to within 2.2 km of it during your first encounter. Before that only its class is fixed, the exact mass (with the range for the class), shape, ore concentration, and magic-ness is determined at that encounter. So one way to get a magic one is to quicksave just before you get into physics range (e.g. at 3 km or so), and then quickload and close the distance until you have an asteroid that you like.

Asteroids properly come into existence once you get into physics range (2500m by default). So, save the game while still a bit further out, and try until you get lucky.

I've done such saveloading once. I didn't keep track of numbers, and probably didn't do enough tries for a proper statistic in any event, but from my experience and for what it's worth, 1 in 20 seems about right.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.