Weather, Seasons, and side effects

1 hour ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

It might just be me just misunderstanding what "Shader" means in this context :P

Name is a bit misleading and largely historical. In modern context, any program you run on GPU is going to consist of one or more shaders.

If you'll ever want to play with GPU code, but don't want to have to write a bunch of scaffolding code around it, the best thing I can recommend is trying out Shader Toy. There are tutorials for how to use it, and the site is full of examples written by other people, and some of these examples are absolutely bonkers. All of the stuff you see there runs through the browser on your own GPU. (It has no access to your disk or even RAM, so it's safe.) People have used it to show off fluid simulations, amazing volumetric renders, including for things like clouds, and all kinds of procedural generation. Not all of it scales well, but there are great examples there that do.

10 minutes ago, K^2 said:

Name is a bit misleading and largely historical. In modern context, any program you run on GPU is going to consist of one or more shaders.

If you'll ever want to play with GPU code, but don't want to have to write a bunch of scaffolding code around it, the best thing I can recommend is trying out Shader Toy. There are tutorials for how to use it, and the site is full of examples written by other people, and some of these examples are absolutely bonkers. All of the stuff you see there runs through the browser on your own GPU. (It has no access to your disk or even RAM, so it's safe.) People have used it to show off fluid simulations, amazing volumetric renders, including for things like clouds, and all kinds of procedural generation. Not all of it scales well, but there are great examples there that do.

Alright, that clears it up.

If I'm still thinking about all of this tomorrow i might shoot a PM your way or two, because the lack of resources is my biggest barrier in all honesty. The C++ code doesn't scare me, nor does making a interface to plug whatever i make into KSP. But even after scrawling thru the dedicated sections on this forum i couldn't actually pin down exactly how to setup the environment needed. The math doesn't even really scare me that much; even though i just got thru calculus recently.

If i can get to a point where i can write code, and see it crash, then I'm actually a happy camper. The actual simulation portion has plenty of examples out there also, and even entire papers on the topic. Getting it all to work with FAR without absolutely crushing performance....now that's a larger issue, but one i have to have a working implementation of my idea before i can even begin to worry about.

Anyway though, thanks for your continued replies.

Graphic representations of weather/precipitation would very be cool, and add a 'limited visibility' aspect, but I doubt we will get weather 'simulation' of any real substance.

Bad weather warnings, with a randomised risk of lightning strikes in storms, or maybe strong gusts suddenly blowing your craft off course etc  could possibly be worked in without having to model realistic winds etc though.

10 hours ago, Vinhero100 said:

I feel like people are expecting too much from KSP 2 devs, if there's rain I'll be extremely surprised, let alone effects caused by the rain. People are just expecting everything they don't like/want in KSP 1 to magically appear in KSP 2. I kinda feel bad for the devs as they see all of the things that they probably weren't planning on including in the game popping up in the KSP forum, causing a mass player uprising on release day when their unrealistic expectations weren't met. 

Good point!

The devs really shouldn’t have to worry about the super small stuff that only a niche group will actually use. It’s just not worth their time. Modders will always be there to take care of what the devs didn’t do.

Edited by Lewie

I got rid of the poll because people where starting to discuss about what the developers should worry about and not about weather implementing. I never meant this as a suggestion more of what people would prefer. From what is shown:

People think that this should be a mod and not something developed by the developers. And I agree with that. So I think this post has no more value and can be locked by a moderator

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I got rid of the poll because people where starting to discuss about what the developers should worry about and not about weather implementing. I never meant this as a suggestion more of what people would prefer. From what is shown:

People think that this should be a mod and not something developed by the developers. And I agree with that. So I think this post has no more value and can be locked by a moderator

I’m guilty of a thing or two you stated. My apologies 

On 8/3/2020 at 7:36 AM, Orbital_Decay said:

Even with small, local particle systems, that's GPU-consuming for not much of an effect. 

Think all games do this as filters for rains and displacement maps for surfaces. 
Here is an fun example from Elders scroll online. 
hXaeZYzh.jpg
The fun part here is that the ground texture for the upper part is not loaded yet as i just loaded the zone so you get the rain effect on water but much more visible as its an plane brown surface, water will also have transparency and often waves. 

Now weather will mostly have two effects, one is visibility who will affect planes most. Now more advanced planes will have radars. 
Yes wind also affect planes but it will affect parachutes much more. 

As in the reason Facon 9 don't use parachutes to slow down. 
More so New Shepard rocket don't use parachutes to slow down but the capsule does and both land in the same area, still side wind will be worse for an high rocket even if it don't have to land on an barge. 

• 1 month later...