Planet editor and loader in ksp2.

catloaf

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Where do you get the 90% number from?  Based on downloads, i think it is a lot less

It's an assumption, mainly based on screenshots. The downloads don't look like that because a given modded player won't use a particular mod, however it was probably a big overestimate, I would guess that in reality 30-40% of people use mods, but 70-80% of forum uses use them. But the point still stands, it wouldn't make a big difference for support just because the mods are "official," it wouldn't cause a massive change in the amount of modded users, and even if it did it wouldn't matter much .

Edited by catloaf

3 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I don;t know if you have experience with these titles in particular...

I don't have no.  The only 'terrain builder' type things I have used was the map creator for 'Combat Mission' (a WW2 wargame) and  a 'Golf Course Creator' for MS Links 2003.  Both of which worked pretty much how I envisage something for KSP working...

You would specify the size and shape of the total area to start, you could start with flat ground or use the option to randomise the basic terrain, with custom parameters, like 'hill density', and max heights.  You could then edit the terrain as desired and then add features, like water, buildings wooded area etc.

Both gave lots of scope for complex and varied terrain, limited only by your imagination and the time you wanted to put into it.

If they separate and expose the data so that adding or modding planets is as simple as adding or modifying a bunch of JSON files, that ought to be more than enough. An editor would be an expensive feature and that development time is taken from something else.

This could be a good candidate for a DLC expansion.

It's not the kind if thing that would need access in play.  So a standalone 'world maker' could be a really fun add-on.

Edited by pandaman

On 8/10/2020 at 3:56 AM, PlutoISaPlanet said:

Ahem! Console players anyone.....

I don't see what playing on a console has to do with anything. Modern consoles all connect to the internet. I really don't see why console = no mods.

On 8/10/2020 at 3:56 AM, PlutoISaPlanet said:

This game needs to appeal to consol players

Honestly, I don't think it does need to. I remain unconvinced that taking KSP to the console was the right decision. The platforms are a bit too different. If its not targetted at the console, then console players feel shafted. If it is targeted at the console, then PC players may feel like the game was handicapped.

Either way, it makes for ill-will and is perceived as a money-grab that compromises the game (money-grabs aren't inherently bad, companies do need to make money, but they shouldn't compromise product quality).

1 hour ago, KerikBalm said:

I don't see what playing on a console has to do with anything. Modern consoles all connect to the internet. I really don't see why console = no mods.

I don't think they were suggesting console players couldn't use mods there.

1 hour ago, KerikBalm said:

Honestly, I don't think it does need to. I remain unconvinced that taking KSP to the console was the right decision. The platforms are a bit too different. If its not targetted at the console, then console players feel shafted. If it is targeted at the console, then PC players may feel like the game was handicapped.

Either way, it makes for ill-will and is perceived as a money-grab that compromises the game (money-grabs aren't inherently bad, companies do need to make money, but they shouldn't compromise product quality).

True as that is, no point in not including a feature that could benefit both platforms and would help include console players more since we've already tread down that road. I don't see how a feature like this would become a hindrance to PC players.

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I don't think they were suggesting console players couldn't use mods there.

then what was the suggestion?

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

True as that is, no point in not including a feature that could benefit both platforms and would help include console players more since we've already tread down that road. I don't see how a feature like this would become a hindrance to PC players.

I don't think it would, I was just commenting on the specific assertion that the game needs to appeal to console players

Just now, KerikBalm said:

then what was the suggestion?

To me it seemed console players could also enjoy a planet maker/editor thus increasing console appeal as well as PC appeal.

1 minute ago, KerikBalm said:

I was just commenting on the specific assertion that the game needs to appeal to console players

Hence my agreeing

2 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

I don't think it would

Don't think it would become a hindrance to PC or don't think it would appeal to console gamers?

On 8/8/2020 at 11:14 AM, AlamoVampire said:

@catloaf i suspect they wont do that. It eliminates uniformity between players which complicates support issues.

Uniformity between players becomes less of an issue if players have credible flight planning tools in game.

On 8/19/2020 at 2:45 PM, mcwaffles2003 said:

Don't think it would become a hindrance to PC or don't think it would appeal to console gamers?

I don't think it would be a hindrance...

As long as you can also make planets through text files, height maps, etc alongside the planet editor

On 8/19/2020 at 4:21 AM, KerikBalm said:

This has far more to do with the fact that all of the modern consoles are basically x86 PC's (Except Nintendo shivering in the corner while i scream WHY CAN'T YOU BE NORMAL at it) running stripped-down, locked-down versions of either Windows or some other OS behind a hypervisor than anything. They'd have to allow users the ability to actually poke around and potentially break things, and eventually they'd realize that if they're going to deal with all that fuss anyway they might as well use a PC. Plus the fact that supporting mods undermines the major pillars of current AAA gaming, "Recurrent user spending"  (Aka MTX) and DLC, so it's understandable that they wouldn't want to support publishers who'd support studios who'd support modding on their walled gardens.

Bethesda had to fight tooth and nail to get mods on PS4 and Xbone, and the resulting compromise was the much hated Creation Club due to Sony not wanting to relinquish their iron grip over their precious machine. So there's actually no fundamental reason you couldn't actually run them on a console, or even run a traditional OS so long as the driver stack was updated to support it (Linux folks would be ALL OVER this, they even got to use the PS3 completely legit for a while).

It's Corporate Policy dictating the rules for everyone else down in the chain, and it's kinda sad. But I'm pretty sure you know all of this xD.