[1.12.x] Space Dust - Atmospheric and Exospheric Harvesting (24/06/2022)

Nertea

SpaceDust 0.4.2

• KSP 1.12
  • Fixed scanners, harvesters and telescopes still being allowed to work when power was lower than required, now resources will not be mined
  • Added a screen message that posts when a converter overheats (with SystemHeat installed)
  • Fixed orbit velocity being calculated incorrectly for exospheric harvesters in the background
  • Fixed density of resources not being accounted for correctly for all harvesters in the background, leading to wildly low (or high) collection rates for resources outside of the 'normal' bounds

On 6/11/2021 at 1:34 PM, that_dragon said:

No problem :)

After posting the message I had another look at implementing my own configs and I did manage to create a very basic configuration that added the relevant recourses to each planet. The CPP entries and the GPP Wiki was very helpful in working out the distribution of the recourses.  

For Antimatter I did not do nearly as much research as you did and only based the distribution of Antimatter on the ratios of the GPP’s gas giants in relation to Jool, but after reading your post I think I will go back and change my configs to make them a bit more realistic as well as integrating some of the ideas you brought up about Catullus and Nero.

If anyone wants a copy of the configs I made I can post them on the forum or GitHub but they are in a bit of a rough state, mainly to do with the abundances of each of the resources as they are not 100% realistic (either too high or too low) but at least for my own game, they worked well enough.  

Thanks for your help with this, your previous posts made it a lot easier to work out how to get everything working in the first place.  

You still have those configs? I’m gonna be starting a GPP career soon and they’d be useful. 

• 2 months later...

Two small questions:

1. is it intentional, that the small siftotron can‘t extract LF from Eve like the bigger brother can? Bug or intention?

2. could you add action groups at some point in future to both siftotrons part to enable automatization of vessels eg. to enable solar panels, cooling and siftotron at once? Just an idea.

@Nertea

16 hours ago, Rakete said:

Two small questions:

1. is it intentional, that the small siftotron can‘t extract LF from Eve like the bigger brother can? Bug or intention?

2. could you add action groups at some point in future to both siftotrons part to enable automatization of vessels eg. to enable solar panels, cooling and siftotron at once? Just an idea.

@Nertea

Also with all scanners, you can’t set up in the action groups to toggle them on or off, etc

Space Dust 0.4.3

• Fixed smaller Sift-O-Tron not being able to harvest atmospheric LF
  • Added action groups to harvester, scanner, telescope modules
  • Made it possible to deploy harvester, scanner, telescope modules in the VAB

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2021 at 3:54 AM, Gordon Dry said:

I guess for JNSQ a patch like this could work:

// 2.7x vs. 1x = 2.7/1 = 2.7 -> sqrt of 2.7 = 1.6431676725154983403709093484024
@SPACEDUST_RESOURCE:NEEDS[JNSQ]:AFTER[SpaceDust]
{
	@RESOURCEBAND,*
	{
		@altUpperBound *= 1.643168
		@altUpperBound ^= :\.\d+:: // Truncate everything after the decimal point
		@altLowerBound *= 1.643168
		@altLowerBound ^= :\.\d+::
		@altPeak *= 1.643168
		@altPeak ^= :\.\d+::
	}
}

// 10x vs. 2.7x = 10/2.7 = 3.704 -> sqrt of 3.704 = 1.924577875795105361576446332158
@SPACEDUST_RESOURCE:NEEDS[JNSQ_Rescale_10x]:AFTER[SpaceDust]
{
	@RESOURCEBAND,*
	{
		@altUpperBound *= 1.924578
		@altUpperBound ^= :\.\d+::
		@altLowerBound *= 1.924578
		@altLowerBound ^= :\.\d+::
		@altPeak *= 1.924578
		@altPeak ^= :\.\d+::
	}
}

NEEDS[JNSQ_Rescale_10x] ?? Well, see https://github.com/Galileo88/JNSQ/pull/39

No.

@SPACEDUSTSETTINGS
{
	@GameScale = scaling factor
}

• 2 months later...

Hi! I'm trying to put "Tritium Spectrometer" upgrade in "spacedust-telescope-1". But it didn't work properly.

screenshot20.png

Here's my code:

Spoiler

SPACEDUST_INSTRUMENT
{
    Name = TritiumSpectrometer
    // UI localized name
    Title = Tritium Spectrometer
    // Resource to detect
    ResourceName = LqdTritium
    // Are we allowed to discover?
    Discovers = true
    // Are we allowed to ID?
    Identifies = true

// Wavelength (nm)
    Wavelength = 517

// Controls the base discovery rate (%)
    Sensitivity = 43
    // Maps atmosphere mass to effect on discovery rate
    AtmosphereEffect
    {
            key = 0 1.0
        key = 70000 0.5
        key = 500000 0.0
    }
}

@SPACEDUSTSETTINGS
{
    @ResourceColors
      {
        LqdTritium = 1,0.31,1,1
    }
}

@SPACEDUSTSETTINGS:NEEDS[FarFutureTechnologies]
{
    @ResourceVisibilities
    {
        name = LqdTritium
    }
}

@PART[spacedust-telescope-1]:FOR[SpaceDust]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack,FarFutureTechnologies]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]:HAS[#moduleID[instrumentSlot1]]
    {
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = T2Instrument
            title = Tritium Spectrometer
            descriptionSummary = Tritium Spectrometer
            descriptionDetail = Filter that allows you to discover T in atmospheres
            primaryColor = #50a1be
            addedMass = 0.2
            addedCost = 50000
            MODULE
            {
                IDENTIFIER
                {
                    name = ModuleSpaceDustTelescope
                }
                DATA
                {
                    SLOT
                    {
                        name = slot1
                        Instrument = TritiumSpectrometer
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

@MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]:HAS[#moduleID[instrumentSlot2]]
    {
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = T2Instrument
            title = Tritium Spectrometer
            descriptionSummary = Tritium Spectrometer
            descriptionDetail = Filter that allows you to discover T in atmospheres
            primaryColor = #50a1be
            addedMass = 0.2
            addedCost = 50000
            MODULE
            {
                IDENTIFIER
                {
                    name = ModuleSpaceDustTelescope
                }
                DATA
                {
                    SLOT
                    {
                        name = slot2
                        Instrument = TritiumSpectrometer
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

What i did wrong?

Edited by WhatALovelyNick

Hi, I have wrote the resource definition for real solar system as well as a patch that add LqdMethane to detectable/harvestable resource. Here’s the picture. I wonder if I could post my configs in this thread?

zo5V8lL.jpg

Edited by zw_45

On 1/28/2022 at 2:23 AM, zw_45 said:

Hi, I have wrote the resource definition for real solar system as well as a patch that add LqdMethane to detectable/harvestable resource. Here’s the picture. I wonder if I could post my configs in this thread?

Nertea is kinda inactive since they work on KSP 2 now, but I doubt there's anything with posting your configs, I'd really like them.

On 1/27/2022 at 9:23 PM, zw_45 said:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anlnec-q1Uv7gQ4Pr0ZODsLC2Fg9

You may want to check out Dust Bunnies which I believe covers liquid methane along with several other resources.

RSS support on the other hand is entirely new as far as I know, so that would surely be welcome for folks who use SpaceDust in RSS.

Here’s the config for RSS and the patch for LqdMethane

***Make sure you remove the original resource definition in SpaceDust folder***
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anlnec-q1Uv7gRELNz2nLIql_lSm

- The abundance data of LqdDuterium was from this site: https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Space_Science/Rosetta/The_surprising_comet. Then times the percent of H2 in atmosphere.

- For LqdHe3, I didn’t find the exact value for each planet, but I found this paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/9508086.pdf. The abundance is 1E-5 He3/He4 * precent of He in atmosphere

- For Liquid Fuel (long chain hydrocarbons), I didn’t find any credible source about their abundance in solar system, so I leave it blank. (complex hydrocarbons comes from biological activities on Earth, they are supposed to be rare in solar system.

- Trace amount of Xenon Gas was added to the atmosphere of Earth and Mars.

In order to harvest resource from gas giant, I increased the abundance data of those planets by a magnitude of 1E6. For example, LqdHe3 is harvestable at 1000000m in Saturn atmosphere.

I also increased the operating temperature of atmosphere scoop so it can works in Jupiter atmosphere.

Edited by zw_45

On 2/3/2022 at 12:18 PM, PocketBrotector said:

You may want to check out Dust Bunnies which I believe covers liquid methane along with several other resources.

RSS support on the other hand is entirely new as far as I know, so that would surely be welcome for folks who use SpaceDust in RSS.

I checked the code of SpaceDust Bunnies and found some errors that make it partially malfunction. So I wrote my own patch to add LqdMethane support. Here’s the configs

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anlnec-q1Uv7gRELNz2nLIql_lSm

I'm not sure that the "Edwin" telescope works with Kerbalism installed- it said it was generating some data, but no data appeared in Kerbalism's data panel and despite some lengthy time-warping ahead it never seemed to end. Unless I'm doing something wrong, using the LF and Ox detectors pointing at JNSQ Minmus.

21 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I'm not sure that the "Edwin" telescope works with Kerbalism installed- it said it was generating some data, but no data appeared in Kerbalism's data panel and despite some lengthy time-warping ahead it never seemed to end. Unless I'm doing something wrong, using the LF and Ox detectors pointing at JNSQ Minmus.

I'm not a Kerbalism user myself so I can't comment on how (if at all) it would interact with SpaceDust, but this is actually expected for normal use of the telescope.

If a given resource is present at a body and you target & scan that body with a telescope that has the relevant detector, you will get notifications after a few days or so that a resource band has been discovered and then identified. If that resource is absent at that body, unfortunately the telescope will keep on scanning it indefinitely. (Apparently kerbals can't prove the absence of something.)

I believe you need a fixed version of Dust Bunnies for full compatibility between Space Dust and JNSQ. And regarding the presence of particular resources at particular bodies... 

Spoiler

I don't believe Minmus has any SpaceDust resources (besides Water, introduced by Dust Bunnies) in JNSQ or the stock solar system. Oxidizer is somewhat rare, occurring at only a handful of bodies, and LiquidFuel is only present at Eve.

Edited by PocketBrotector

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

How do I discover the resources marked with a question mark? I've left a CHROMA Imaging Spectrometer and a CRANE Gamma Ray Spectrometer in orbit around Kerbin for about a month and it's still marked with a question mark.

Spoiler

I'm assuming the stuff around Kerbin is antimatter because when I turned on the CRANE it said a new band was discovered and a new band appeared around Kerbin, but it's still marked with a question mark in the UI.