Parts glitch and explode on loading

This is a long standing issue, I've noticed it goes back to at least 2015 and probably well since the inception of the game. Many people have various ideas on how to fix these issues and some appear more successful than others. At the end of the day it appears to be how the game loads things in the persistent state and if a part ends up colliding into something else at the time of loading (likely just some slight movement of a part into something else). The fact that I am noticing this still as of the time of this writing 12/19/2020 in an unmodded version of KSP 1.11.0 is still quite surprising. It has forced me to look at some things and dig to find the issue. As of writing this I am testing on a stock KSP with no mods and the problem still persists. The problem that I have is a drill rig that I have constructed explodes a second or two after loading, after having successfully landed it at Minmus with no issues otherwise. I believe that this is due to some flux on some close parts that when extended collide into each other at the time of loading. What I would recommend is that all extendable parts should load collapsed and then auto-extend after the physics engine has initialized all the parts. I think this will resolve the flux issue creating this problem. If saving a game with any craft with extendible solar panels, radiators, etc (basically anything) what I would recommend is collapsing/storing all parts before saving or switching away from the craft, I believe this will fix these issues for good as the problem doesn't appear to happen when loading with all parts stowed/collapsed.

On 12/20/2020 at 1:33 AM, Vanamonde said:

I hear of this happening but have never experienced it myself. At any rate, thread moved to the support subforum, and good luck. 

Thank you. I have actually submitted a bug fix to the official bug tracking for KSP with my findings and .craft file with the offending parts/behavior. I am hoping that subsequent versions of KSP post 1.11.0 may include a fix for this on these extendable parts by forcing them to load up from a collapsed state and likely no more exploding Kraken behavior at least in these instances on load =).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.