Contract generation mechanics (and mods, maybe)

My impression has been that the game will not generate a contract that requires parts that you have not unlocked in the tech tree yet (career mode). Am I right about that?

I got one for a surface outpost that requires a viewing cupola, but I haven't unlocked that yet. However, I do have access to the smaller but similar-looking porthole from the Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux mod. It's not described as a cupola, but maybe it's considered one for purposes of the contract? (I haven't tried to build it and land it to test yet.)

Thanks!

Usually, if a part is required in the contract, it is "loaned" to you - it is suddenly in your inventory, but will disappear after completing the contract.

This said, taking contracts you will not complete for a long time (if at all) is a great way to "unlock" parts that you would otherwise not have access to! This is more common with certain engines and/or landing gear, etc. Sometimes it's worth it to take a contract just for the parts you will have available to you!

[Edit Add: One way to check if a part will fill the requirement is to include the questionable part in a vessel (the simpler the better) and place it on the launch pad and then open the contract tab (upper right) and see if the "Has a cupola" requirement is checked off. If it is, the part will work, otherwise it's no bueno.]

Edited by Wobbly Av8r
Edit Add

2 hours ago, chd said:

It's not described as a cupola, but maybe it's considered one for purposes of the contract?

It is. SSPXr patches the contract definitions to accept the porthole as a valid cupola part.

The "CapCom" mod lists all matching parts for contract requirements, if you're unsure.

Edited by HansAcker

15 hours ago, Wobbly Av8r said:

Usually, if a part is required in the contract, it is "loaned" to you - it is suddenly in your inventory, but will disappear after completing the contract.

Isn't that only with part test contracts? I don't remember ever getting a space station/base/satellite contract that required me to have a specific part before I unlocked that part.

10 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Isn't that only with part test contracts? I don't remember ever getting a space station/base/satellite contract that required me to have a specific part before I unlocked that part.

You could very well be right - I've never accepted a contract that didn't have all the parts available, but that certainly doesn't mean that's the way it is.... (That's why I start most of my "help" replies with words like "Usually...")

If you or anyone else has the definitive answer, I'd certainly be willing to read and learn! :)

Just now, Wobbly Av8r said:

If you or anyone else has the definitive answer, I'd certainly be willing to read and learn! :)

I have no source but for stock contracts, I definitively know that you have to have unlocked the part before it will be required in a contract, except the aforementioned testing contracts.

And if said contract must have that part to be a contract, you won't be offered it at all until you've unlocked the part. So no docking contracts until you have a docking port, satellite contracts won't show for those with no solar panels, etc.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:12 PM, chd said:

My impression has been that the game will not generate a contract that requires parts that you have not unlocked in the tech tree yet (career mode). Am I right about that?

So there is a reason for unlocking? Is there?

But often You get acces to this part as experimental so You can use it as long You do not fulfill the contract so there is a reason to not fullfil for long^^

On 1/21/2021 at 11:12 PM, chd said:

It's not described as a cupola, but maybe it's considered one for purposes of the contract?

If customer say cupola he mean it.

On 1/21/2021 at 10:12 PM, chd said:

I got one for a surface outpost that requires a viewing cupola, but I haven't unlocked that yet. However, I do have access to the smaller but similar-looking porthole from the Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux mod. It's not described as a cupola, but maybe it's considered one for purposes of the contract? (I haven't tried to build it and land it to test yet.)

Thanks!

It depends what you mean by "requires parts". As previously explained there are the "test xxxx part" contracts which will specifically provide access to xxxx part for the contract to be fulfilled. But you'll be offered contracts that need (or more accurately, it would be a great help if you had) parts and facilities you don't yet have access to, for example 18t limit, 30 parts limit, bigger rocket stages etc. I am sure some people can skilfully do the jobs with the restrictions but it makes a lot of sense to unlock stuff and make your progress/make life easier. There is no specific check for whether that contract can be fulfilled with the current parts and facilities you have.

On 1/25/2021 at 8:50 AM, paul_c said:

There is no specific check for whether that contract can be fulfilled with the current parts and facilities you have.

It goes the other way around, getting access to the parts/facilities unlocks the contracts.

It may be the case of a contract being difficult because of  "RND Rage" picking some weird combination of requirements(e.g. testing something at very high speed and very ow altitude (heat become an issue)) but, at least technically, you have all the parts required for completing the contract if it is offered.

Yes that's definitely true - there is some kind of algorithm which takes into account parts available, milestones done and previous contracts done to determine contracts, however there is no filter or logic to prevent very difficult/near impossible ones from generating; or it might be that while the contract is theoretically possible with the current constraint, pragmatically it makes a lot of sense to do an upgrade of parts/facilities to take on some of them sensibly.

12 hours ago, paul_c said:

pragmatically it makes a lot of sense to do an upgrade of parts/facilities to take on some of them sensibly.

I agree with that. However,  pragmaticallyit makes sense to not take those difficult contracts in the first place. The rewards will be about the same of an easy contract of the same type. 

E.g: Testing a Terrier engine in orbit- fine. Testing a Thumper in orbit- NO.

Well yeah.....normally there is at least one contract which you can do reliably. I like variety, so I never stick to the same kind too long though. And sometimes I use the hard contracts for a challenge or to give direction. I'll also "bank" my money and science points, rather than spending it immediately. Some upgrades are a high price too, is it $3,000,000+ for the tracking station upgrade to level 3?

31 minutes ago, paul_c said:

Some upgrades are a high price too, is it $3,000,000+ for the tracking station upgrade to level 3?

On normal settings and no strategies is 'only' 563.000

R&D building is the most expensive with 1.690.000.

In any case, at some point it comes to personal preferences and choices, more than one option will make sense. And even if there is some 'best' course of action, the player may be aware of it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.