Help naming launch vehicles!

I don’t know how to put images in, but i’ll describe it.

(My last name) aerospace presents: The unnamed medium-lift launch vehicle. Customizable for any payload! This rocket has been used to launch our first expedition to the moon, coming back with almost limitless data! Then, it launched a mapping probe into orbit, waiting for a Duna Transfer Window. Our future missions for it are a mission to Gilly, with the medium variant and Mars with the heavy variant, then limitless satellites and space station parts once the tech tree is unlocked.

Light variant!

First stage: Mainsail with 60% thrust, and unlike other rockets the fairing plate is mounted here.

Second Stage: Single wolfhound engine and 1.25 meter payload adapter 

Light-Medium variant!

First Stage: Same as the light with 70% thrust, but with 4 strap-on LVT-30 liquid boosters

Second stage: Jettisons the strap on boosters, leaving the center core fully fueled

Third stage: Same as light second stage

Medium Variant!

First Stage: Same as previous with 80% thrust and bobcat engines at 50% thrust mounted to Soyuz strap-on tanks

Second stage: Jettisons the strap-on boosters, leaving the core fully fueled

Third stage: The wolfhound engine but with a bigger tank, and a 1.85 meter payload adapter 

Lastly, the heavy variant!

First Stage: Three mainsail cores at 100% thrust

Second stage: Jettisons the outer cores, leaving the center fully fueled.

Third Stage: The same as the medium variant 

Edited by Wizard Kerbal
Clarification, and I have some ideas: Taurus, Pioneer or Space express.

I suspect you are looking for cool-sounding names for your rockets, but I go a different approach.  In my saves, I usually end up with so many vessels scattered around the solar system that I can't remember which ones are which.  

• One thing I do is name the ship based on what it does.  'Tanker', 'Miner', 'Ferry'..
  • If there are different versions, I'll call them Tanker, Tanker B, Tanker C.  I have ferries, 'Ferry', 'Ferry SR' (short range), 'Ferry LR' (long range).
  • If the vessel ends up in a particular location for a long time, I always rename it to include the name of the body it's at: 'Dres Tanker B'
  • When there are multiple copies of the vessel, I add numbers to them: 'Dres Tanker B 1'

I admit it's not very imaginative, and a lot of players like naming their ships in a less-boring manner.  But, it works for me.

without a picture, and it being a medium lifter, i could call it "gym instructor"...

1 hour ago, 18Watt said:

I suspect you are looking for cool-sounding names for your rockets, but I go a different approach.  In my saves, I usually end up with so many vessels scattered around the solar system that I can't remember which ones are which.  

• One thing I do is name the ship based on what it does.  'Tanker', 'Miner', 'Ferry'..
  • If there are different versions, I'll call them Tanker, Tanker B, Tanker C.  I have ferries, 'Ferry', 'Ferry SR' (short range), 'Ferry LR' (long range).
  • If the vessel ends up in a particular location for a long time, I always rename it to include the name of the body it's at: 'Dres Tanker B'
  • When there are multiple copies of the vessel, I add numbers to them: 'Dres Tanker B 1'

I admit it's not very imaginative, and a lot of players like naming their ships in a less-boring manner.  But, it works for me.

if i play career and have multiple crafts, i give them boring names for clarity. but now i play single challenge missions, and without the risk of confusing the ships i prefer to give nice names.

For general purpose lifters that I expect to make variants for, I select a theme and pick names from there.

As an example, depending on your musical tastes, you could use guitarists in chronological order, such as Paul for a first model, Belew for a middle model, and Abasi for a more recent model.

Or ancient kingdoms and cities, or historical figures, or anything related to other hobbies you have.

Yes, (to 18watt)my mission names are:

-Minmus 1   -Minmus 2   -Munar 1   -DMP 1 (Duna Mapping Probe 1)   -Gilly 1   -Duna 1, but I want my launch vehicles to have cool names in the subassembly section. If I named it Medium Lift Expendable Launch Vehicle - 1A, it would actually be more confusing for me. My sandbox save has things like:

-Proton and Neutron (1.25 and 1.85 Small Sat launcher)

It’s kinda stupid but 

-REMA (REcoverable Medium lift lAunch vehicle) and -REHA (REcoverable Heavy lift lAunch vehicle)

-Goliath 1c (a 5 meter rocket to bring superheavy payloads around kerbin’s SOI)

Goliath 2 (a 5 meter rocket to bring superheavy payloads around the solar system)

4 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

Or ancient kingdoms and cities, or historical figures, or anything related to other hobbies you have.

My interests are anime and rocket science, so not much to go on.

Edited by Wizard Kerbal

3 minutes ago, Wizard Kerbal said:

My interests are anime and rocket science, so not much to go on.

Rocket science gives a lot. Each of these themes could name many rockets for you:

• Launch sites: Kennedy, Canaveral (Kanaveral if you want to Kerbal-ize names), Wallops, Vandenberg, Baikonur, Vostochny, etc.
  • Early rocket Scientists: Goddard, Braun, Tsiolkovsky, Korolev, etc.
  • Apollo astronauts
  • Shuttle astronauts
  • Modern astronauts
  • Real-word rockets. Nothing says that "Delta" or "Apollo" can't be re-used for your own unique rocket designs.

Anime is likely a rich source of names, but my knowledge isn't very deep. Pick series names, or characters from a series, or favorite animators.

4 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Rocket science gives a lot. Each of these themes could name many rockets for you:

• Launch sites: Canaveral (Kanaveral if you want to Kerbal-ize names), Vandenberg

I like those names. I think i’ll do Vandenberg.

4 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

without a picture, and it being a medium lifter, i could call it "gym instructor"...

I just got the joke, and it’s a good one.

21 hours ago, BenG said:

"Untitled Space Craft"

Classic.

On 3/12/2021 at 8:13 PM, DeadJohn said:

Each of these themes could name many rockets for you:

Snip

some additional themes:

Birds: Falcon, Pelican, Pigeon, Chicken

Animals: Bison, Elephant, Rhinoceros, Jaguar, Tiger, Badger

Mythological creatures: Sylph, Sphinx, Manticore, Dragon, Leprechaum

Deities: Zeus, Thor, Isis, Amaterasu, Bachus, Aniger

Climatic phenomena: Hurricane, Storm, Ciclone, Snow, Fog

Abstract Concepts: Persistence, Fortitude, Amusement

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.