ksp 1 and ksp 2

icantthink

20 hours ago, Lisias said:

I'm not complaining about new features, they are nice, of course. But not so nice that would worth losing my savegames on a minor update in the hope of getting some really nasty bugs fixed (as the refunding problem I mentioned above).

Rather than not updating, Squad should re-evaluate its programmers and playtesters, and stop rushing updates out for each quart.

13 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Rather than not updating, Squad should re-evaluate its programmers and playtesters, and stop rushing updates out for each quart.

I'm not 100% convinced on this. I had worked on teams formed by very skilled teammates just to see them utterly failing on tasks I was (relatively) succeeding.

was not more skilled than some of them. But yet, I was delivering some good results, besides the problems.

The real problem was environmental. I may had not be [damn, this is right?] more skilled than some of my colleagues, but I was way more experienced - so I did what it was needed to be done, not what I was expected to do.

Edited by Lisias
Grammars. (sigh)

I’m not convinced. I remember when GTA San Andreas first came out. I thought it was the greatest game ever to exist. Then a couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to play it again and it was so dated it was unreal, ruined the memories even.

It’s like when you watch HD-TV and think “meh this is pointless” but then you watch non-HD and realise there was a huge difference.

Also emulators work ok with old dos games etc but would be dreadful for KSP as they can’t access the full system resources more modern games require. They are akin to phone games really. So those would need a major overhaul as well. And Wine refuses to even run properly on Linux anymore so the chances are slim at this moment in time.

5 minutes ago, FruitGoose said:

Also emulators work ok with old dos games etc but would be dreadful for KSP as they can’t access the full system resources more modern games require. They are akin to phone games really. So those would need a major overhaul as well. And Wine refuses to even run properly on Linux anymore so the chances are slim at this moment in time.

Did they mean using emulators in 20 years when current PCs are comparable to a Megadrive today.

8 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Did they mean using emulators in 20 years when current PCs are comparable to a Megadrive today.

Good point although I’ll probably be dead in 20 years so I won’t care either way :D but I’ll come and haunt anyone playing KSP on an emulator as a compromise.

2 hours ago, FruitGoose said:
2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Good point although I’ll probably be dead in 20 years so I won’t care either way :D but I’ll come and haunt anyone playing KSP on an emulator as a compromise.

Either you're not very young or that's an incredibly dark joke :o

5 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

And Wine refuses to even run properly on Linux anymore so the chances are slim at this moment in time.

EvE Online, which does torture hardware quite a bit,  runs fine under Wine on my aging i5 without a hitch.

Edited by Curveball Anders

52 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

EvE Online, which does torture hardware quite a bit,  runs fine under Wine on my aging i5 without a hitch.

Fair enough. It has been a couple of years since I tried to use it so maybe it's improved now. Stupid name though isn't it?

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Either you're not very young or that's an incredibly dark joke :o

About mid-life but I spend too much time sitting in front of a computer playing things like KSP so not the healthiest! Although the thought of having to play KSP on Wine is causing suicidal thoughts TBH (I know, I know, it's improved now :sticktongue: )

Edited by Guest

39 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

KSP (like many other Unity based games) is Linux native, no need for wine.

Shhh!! Let the kids argue! ;)

What people are forgetting is that the Open Source guys, more than once, ported games between Engines - and with Unity getting a lot of attention these days, you can bet your mouse sooner or alter someone will write a wrapper over it in the case they cease to support Linux.

It's a hell of a work, but it was done before.  A full report on how this could be achieved is, obviously, against Forum Rules (that Legal Boundaries thingy), so I will not talk about here.

But, and again, it was already being done in the past. It can be done again in the future.

TL;DR: KSP will survive us all, even if ARM wins the CPU race 50 years from now. :D 

51 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

KSP (like many other Unity based games) is Linux native, no need for wine.

Ah ok, I used Linux for a very short time as a test to replace windows 10 but not games so I didn’t realise. I’ve seen you can run games through Steam so I should have guessed really! 

I remember being told games are generally worse on there because it can’t access the same graphics ‘resources’ that windows can or something? (Graphics not my strong point). Is that still the case? 

12 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

I remember being told games are generally worse on there because it can’t access the same graphics ‘resources’ that windows can or something? (Graphics not my strong point). Is that still the case? 

OpenGL and full driver support from the major chip makers has changed that considerably.

Many (game) developers chose to support a wider range of platforms instead of just Windows/XBox for purely financial reasons.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.