Procedural Fairings vs Stock?

dlrk

IMO, procedural fairings usually look nicer than stock. In terms of gameplay they work the same way.  Some modded fairings include decouplers, and can be set to automatically open at a set altitude.

I recommend the Simple Adjustable Fairings plugin mod with the KW Rocketry Fairing Pack. It provides a versatile collection of fairings.

P.S. In stock, it's possible to get a nice looking curve by clicking a bunch of points, but it's much easier and more consistent with procedural fairings.

There are pros and cons to both options-

• Procedural fairings are more customisable, both in terms of shape and appearance, and will automatically adjust their shape to whatever payload you attach, whereas stock fairings have a limited set of colours and you need to build their shape manually, and also have a maximum radius;
  • Stock fairings can be made open-ended or connect to other parts e.g. an LES tower, which procedural fairings don’t seem to do as far as I can tell- procedural parts tend to be for one specific use e.g. a fairing, an interstage shroud or an engine boattail, whereas stock fairings are a bit more flexible and can do any/all of those things if you want (this is based on my experiences in RO/RP-1, using procedural fairings in a more regular KSP game might be different);
  • Stock fairings can have multiple stack nodes to mount more than one payload, for example a set of relays, which procedural fairings do not;

In the end, it’s up to you to try them both and see which version you prefer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.