In-built planet maker

Already proposed, terrible idea, if someone isn't skilled enough to use proper tools they're not skilled enough to be creating any worthwhile planet.

I would support this only if they make it impossible to share planet created with such editor.

*inhales*

no 

for a more specific reason. As I have said before, Kopernicus takes a lot of time and effort and even with that a lot of planets tend to be very low quality and with a few exceptions don’t tend to exceed ksp standards. And planets in ksp are a whole lot more simplistic 

9 hours ago, Master39 said:

Already proposed, terrible idea, if someone isn't skilled enough to use proper tools they're not skilled enough to be creating any worthwhile planet

This ^^

Do not under estimate the thought, time and effort that goes into designing ANYTHING worthwhile.

You may be able to get your landmasses, oceans, mountains, rivers etc mapped out and generated fairly quickly, but the little touches and details that make it distinctive, and look 'finished' can take a very, very long time, even for skilled experienced people.  There is no shortcut to quality.

Edit...  I am not against player created worlds being brought into the game as modded add ons, as happens now.  But I don't see any value in a planet editor/creator integrated into the stock game.   Maybe as an official, standalone,  DLC alternative to Kopernicus etc,  but not integrated into the game itself.

Edited by pandaman

15 hours ago, DJDoesKSP said:

make planets without having to use code

What do you mean by 'code' here ?

1. In KSP1, the mod Kopernicus provides the code that makes KSP1 load the player's desired planets instead of the default planets.  In this case, 'code' is instructions to the computer, and writing it (that is, 'coding') requires understanding in how KSP1 and the operating system work.   
( I think it would be nice if KSP2 could incorporate this capability, so planet-designers do not need to first re-write Kopernicus. )

2. Then there are the configuration files that define the planets (system.cfg, etc., for Kopernicus for KSP1).  These are structured text so can look like code, but most people would call them configuration.  They were not documented well for KSP1 and Kopernicus, but it has gotten a little better.   

3. Then there are the image-like data-files defining heightmaps and textures and planetary rings and auroras and clouds, etc.  There are already editing tools to create these files.

Also, I think the people above might be referring to this recent thread :

11 hours ago, ffx said:

kitopia

and also plese close this thread because ther is many other thread talking about the same thing

I wish kittopia worked for me, but sadly, it does not

about closing the thread, how do I do that?

3 hours ago, OHara said:

What do you mean by 'code' here ?

Just kinda the whole process with Kopernicus, because Im not at all experienced with modding planets in KSP, whenever I try to use it the planet comes out as a white, plain, sphere

Edited by DJDoesKSP

This would require the planets to be built mostly by procedural generation, which for the base game would imply almost a separate procedural generation algorithm for each celestial body, and then they would have to develop their own planet editor for it. Sounds good on paper but far more trouble than it's worth as the resulting planets would look very similar to the ones already in the game anyway.

Although, as I've mentioned in other threads about this subject, an editor that allows you to remove or choose the orbital parameters of each celestial body and maybe atmospheric parameters shouldn't offer many technical challenges and would be pretty interesting to play with.; for instance, you could get a solar system analog by setting each of the original planets and their moons to their real life equivalents. Plus, this feature could make adding modded planets much more easily

31 minutes ago, DJDoesKSP said:

whenever I try to use [Kopernicus] the planet comes out as a white, plain, sphere

That is a common symptom for new users of Kopernicus.  Assuming you have your beautiful DDS files (or maybe PNG files) of the correct size and shape, then the problem is correctly showing Kopernicus where to find them and how to use them, which involves the configuration files with their barely-adequate documentation.

On this forum, you can use the three dots '...' beside your post and then the 'report' option to type a message the volunteer moderators to ask them to close your thread (or move it or merge with another or anything else we need their help to do).