Contract: Attach Photovoltaic Panel on aging satellite

I'm stumped. I flew out with the part in the inventory, and I have an engineer. The contract asks me to attach the OX-4W 3x2 to an aging satellite orbiting the Mun.  However, Bill cannot carry the part because it is too big to fit in his pack.  The only way he can carry it is by removing the jet pack, which means he cannot do a controlled spacewalk.  Is this an issue with him not having enough experience points? 

If this is the case, is there a list of what the specific experience levels and capabilities are?  The Wiki is rather vague:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Experience

Otherwise, I am not sure what to do here.

No matter what, Bill won’t be able to carry the panel in his inventory. 

What you’re supposed to do: Kerbals can access ship cargo while on EVA. When in construction mode, you’ll be able to see the ship’s inventory, as long as Bill is close enough to the part holding the solar panels. This way, you can place the panel without having to go through Bill’s inventory.

42 minutes ago, AlpacaMall said:

No matter what, Bill won’t be able to carry the panel in his inventory.

What you’re supposed to do: Kerbals can access ship cargo while on EVA.

And this rather not unimportant information is documented... where? Just how on Kerbin is anyone supposed to figure this out on their own?

Thankfully there's always some people around that somehow (by trial and error? random experimenting?) find out such things and are willing to share.

• 3 weeks later...

Look at the cargo section in the VAB/SPH, you can try putting stuff into a Kerbal’s inventory to see if it’ll fit or if it’ll be too big or heavy. Each part also has its mass and volume in the description.

You could always activate the “ignore Kerbal mass/volume limits” cheat :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.