Better stage management

About the idea.  

14 members have voted

1. 1. About the idea.

• Don't like
    • I would use a different approach (please describe down below)

Ever build a 20 stage rocket and only 15 stages fit on the screen in the VAB then it becomes a chore to adjust the stages that exist in the place above your monitor? Ever have 30 engines on your rocket and somewhere along the build you mixed some of your stage 5 ignitions with your stage 8 ignitions but you found out after you've reached Minmus? Ever have your parachutes fire on lift off? (I know every single one of you has...)

Scott Manley has drilled into us all a phrase other than "Fly safe" and that is "Check your staging". When do we need to check our staging? After our rocket is built. So why not, after completing a build, have the option for  a screen to pop up as a type of staging organizer room? In this area you are presented with a miniature of your design and a nicely organized staging log with more room than just the right 5% of your screen. Make it so you can scroll through your stages and as parts are decoupled or as engines are lit that is indicated in the miniature where decoupled parts and fairings disappear or current ignited engines are highlighted. This would help all of us as we build, before we launch, to make sure our creation will at least attempt to perform as we intend it to.

What do you guys think?

Edited by mcwaffles2003

Good idea. I don't know how many times I've messed up my 2x2 staging of boosters or messed up my satellite stacks by having the wrong one separate from the stack. This can also help to see if you have your fuel lines and cross feeds setup properly.

5 minutes ago, mattinoz said:

Could be done in the blue print mode. 

Allowing screen shots of each stage configuration if wanted. 

Sure, but the point wasn't just to show what the rocket looks like at each stage, but to give more room with which to organize stages.

14 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

@Bej KermanIsn't that what action groups are for?

Yes, but there's only 10 slots, most of which might be taken by other functions, and it's not possible yet to have them set off with the stages. What I want is for the staging to not be so nitpicky over which parts can stage and what they do when staged - it's a bit limiting with what you can do.

23 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Yes, but there's only 10 slots, most of which might be taken by other functions, and it's not possible yet to have them set off with the stages. What I want is for the staging to not be so nitpicky over which parts can stage and what they do when staged - it's a bit limiting with what you can do.

That's fair. I say just so long as everything continues in series it's fine and if you know you want a certain thing to happen in order, then why not. Not like it hurts anything anyways.