[1.9.x - 1.12.x] Precursors V1.7.1-- ODYSSEY UPDATE -- NOW ON GITHUB!

wpetula

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: I am releasing a visual patch tomorrow.

Here are a few screenshots of the improvements:

Windswept and Frontier are no longer shiny from space

mQetD66.png

Rage and the ice giants are no longer shiny from space either

KdLxZQh.png

I still have a bit of tweaking to do, but these screenshots are a good representation of what is coming.

6 hours ago, Sky Kerman said:

Is there a home switch mode that puts the KSC on Echo?

Not at the moment, sorry. That is something for the distant future, especially since there are more pressing features to attend to, and implementing a home switch mode would require a lot of adjustments to existing content.

2 hours ago, yoarebignoob said:

woo the crew arrived

4f4N5kw.png

That blue atmosphere on Frontier frightens me. Did you delete the stock folders out of Scatterer? That is a crucial step in fixing the problem. Because Frontier is listed as "Kerbin" in the game files (for modding reasons), the stock Kerbin config in Scatterer overrides the atmosphere color of the Precursors Kerbin/Frontier Scatterer config.

18 minutes ago, wpetula said:

That blue atmosphere on Frontier frightens me. Did you delete the stock folders out of Scatterer? That is a crucial step in fixing the problem. Because Frontier is listed as "Kerbin" in the game files (for modding reasons), the stock Kerbin config in Scatterer overrides the atmosphere color of the Precursors Kerbin/Frontier Scatterer config.

alright ill go try to fix it

30 minutes ago, wpetula said:

145Zns7.jpg

I think i found a bug/glitch (might be ksp bug)

When i left cetus and hydra. my spacecraft argument of periapsis is changing so that my altitude lowers. But when you timewarp it goes back on its rails (orbit).

The only thing i can do while it happens is to quicksave and i noticed that it only happens on small bodies such as siren.

https://imgur.com/a/VFqp7Vm

Edited by yoarebignoob

12 minutes ago, yoarebignoob said:

When i left cetus and hydra. my spacecraft argument of periapsis is changing so that my altitude lowers. But when you timewarp it goes back on its rails (orbit).

The only thing i can do while it happens is to quicksave and i noticed that it only happens on small bodies such as siren.

Noted. I will look into the issue later today / this weekend. Thanks!

Version 1.4.1 is released!

VISUAL IMPROVEMENTS (PART 1)

Change log:

• Removed specular and shininess from the gas and ice giants
  • Removed ScaledSpace shininess from Frontier and Windswept
  • Reduced ScaledSpace shininess on Icebound
  • Updated splash screens that were rendered outdated by this patch
  • Minor Scatterer atmosphere tweaks
  • Minor config tweaks

SCREENSHOTS

2M3oqdR.png
IyHXuPK.png
LpSjzBU.png

Edited by wpetula

17 minutes ago, CatsMJ said:

Are Frontier and Scar supposed to have oceans? I have a contract that requires me to splash down on Scar but I couldn't find anything in another sandbox save.

This is a known issue. My advice is to use the cheat menu to finish these impossible contracts. Just teleport to sea level, get your science, and then leave. Or, just don't accept those kinds of contracts.

Something a little different....

While I was working on the upcoming patch for better terrain textures and a solution for the impossible contract issues, I thought it might be fun to explore Precursors' early development days. 

Approximately 2 years ago, I decided to start work on Precursors as my first ever planet pack. At the time, the mod was named Outer Rim and contained a completely different solar system. The planets and moons in Outer Rim underwent many iterations, many of which evolved into the worlds seen in-game today. 

Duat --> Fracture

pi99sw6.png

Duat shares a few similarities with Fracture: it has lava oceans, a boiling atmosphere, and chaotic, mountainous land. It served more as a proof-of-concept than an actual planet. Jeb died a lot here in testing.

Reason for overhaul: Duat's terrain was low quality and made the planet feel smaller than it actually was.

Tempest --> Echo

Eykb38T.png

Tempest evolved from a grey-skied jungle world into a lush, tropical planet. For a time, it was the home world for the mod. A color similar to Tempest's oceans is used now on Echo.

Reason for overhaul: Again, the texture made the planet feel too small. Tempest's old texture became Duat.

Odin --> Frontier

58XuxSX.png

Odin has a very different appearance than the typical ice world. Before it was removed, Odin was a supermassive terrestrial world with a massive set of rings and moons. Although most aspects of Odin were scrapped, extreme gravity became the signature challenge of Frontier.

Reason for overhaul: Many of the moons orbiting Odin suffered from terrain and orbital problems (including Ran, which later became Abyss). Plus, Odin itself suffered from a condition that I would describe as, "island hell". Due to the way I made my height maps back then, Odin had terrain similar to TV static, which did not pair well with water.

Rosea --> Sangu --> Scourge

1tZkGwN.png

hTUpb4q.png

Scourge has the most extensive backstory of all the celestial bodies in Precursors. I always wanted to have a red planet in the mod, but I could never figure out how to make it look right. Rosea was my second ever planet, with the first being the gas giant in the background (Tenebris, the ancestor of Rage). Rosea was overhauled into Sangu when I revamped the entire solar system for the second time. Sangu was removed in the third revamp and reinvented as Scourge in the fourth and final revamp.

Reason for overhaul: The ScaledSpace textures for both worlds lacked quality, and the surface scatters on Sangu refused to cooperate. I wanted stock red trees, but KSP always ignored my config settings and changed them back to green.

---

I might make more something a little different posts in the future. Precursors'  development history extends far deeper than what is included in this post, and there's more that I would like to share. If you have any specific questions about the development cycle, feel free to ask!

Edited by wpetula

On 5/20/2022 at 9:49 PM, CatsMJ said:

Are Frontier and Scar supposed to have oceans? I have a contract that requires me to splash down on Scar but I couldn't find anything in another sandbox save.

download exploration + for better contracts so u wont have splash down on <...>

2 hours ago, wpetula said:

While I was working on the upcoming patch for better terrain textures and a solution for the impossible contract issues, I thought it might be fun to explore Precursors' early development days. 

Approximately 2 years ago, I decided to start work on Precursors as my first ever planet pack. At the time, the mod was named Outer Rim and contained a completely different solar system. The planets and moons in Outer Rim underwent many iterations, many of which evolved into the worlds seen in-game today. 

Duat --> Fracture

pi99sw6.png

Duat shares a few similarities with Fracture: it has lava oceans, a boiling atmosphere, and chaotic, mountainous land. It served more as a proof-of-concept than an actual planet. Jeb died a lot here in testing.

Reason for overhaul: Duat's terrain was low quality and made the planet feel smaller than it actually was.

Tempest --> Echo

Eykb38T.png

Tempest evolved from a grey-skied jungle world into a lush, tropical planet. For a time, it was the home world for the mod. A color similar to Tempest's oceans is used now on Echo.

Reason for overhaul: Again, the texture made the planet feel too small. Tempest's old texture became Duat.

Odin --> Frontier

58XuxSX.png

Odin has a very different appearance than the typical ice world. Before it was removed, Odin was a supermassive terrestrial world with a massive set of rings and moons. Although most aspects of Odin were scrapped, extreme gravity became the signature challenge of Frontier.

Reason for overhaul: Many of the moons orbiting Odin suffered from terrain and orbital problems (including Ran, which later became Abyss). Plus, Odin itself suffered from a condition that I would describe as, "island hell". Due to the way I made my height maps back then, Odin had terrain similar to TV static, which did not pair well with water.

1tZkGwN.png

hTUpb4q.png

Scourge has the most extensive backstory of all the celestial bodies in Precursors. I always wanted to have a red planet in the mod, but I could never figure out how to make it look right. Rosea was my second ever planet, with the first being the gas giant in the background (Tenebris, the ancestor of Rage). Rosea was overhauled into Sangu when I revamped the entire solar system for the second time. Sangu was removed in the third revamp and reinvented as Scourge in the fourth and final revamp.

Reason for overhaul: The ScaledSpace textures for both worlds lacked quality, and the surface scatters on Sangu refused to cooperate. I wanted stock red trees, but KSP always ignored my config settings and change them back to green.

---

I might make more something a little different posts in the future. Precursors'  development history extends far deeper than what is included in this post, and there's more that I would like to share. If you have any specific questions about the development cycle, feel free to ask!

the 2 first planets remind me of ksp planet packs that used space engine textures,which are bad in ksp.

also i found some textured titled: Frontier_ring1 Frontier_ring2 Frontier_ring3 and Frontier_ring4.I only saw 2 ringed planets in this pack so what are the other 2 for? (i suppose one of those were frontier rings which were scrapped)

5 minutes ago, yoarebignoob said:

download exploration + for better contracts so u wont have splash down on <...>

the 2 first planets remind me of ksp planet packs that used space engine textures,which are bad in ksp.

also i found some textured titled: Frontier_ring1 Frontier_ring2 Frontier_ring3 and Frontier_ring4.I only saw 2 ringed planets in this pack so what are the other 2 for? (i suppose one of those were frontier rings which were scrapped)

btw

2 hours ago, wpetula said:

Duat --> Fracture

pi99sw6.png

Tempest --> Echo

Eykb38T.png

Odin --> Frontier

58XuxSX.png

1tZkGwN.png

hTUpb4q.png

Reason for overhaul: The ScaledSpace textures for both worlds lacked quality, and the surface scatters on Sangu refused to cooperate. I wanted stock red trees, but KSP always ignored my config settings and change them back to green.

---

btw thanks for showing the old planet models. it reminds me of old ksp planet textures. (not in appearance, but in style)

12 minutes ago, yoarebignoob said:

so what are the other 2 for? (i suppose one of those were frontier rings which were scrapped)

Frontier used to have a massive set of rings. Now, some of those ring textures are used around Echo and Scourge. The remaining textures remain unused as of now.

1 hour ago, yoarebignoob said:

Are comets present in this planet pack?

I have a massive one flying through my test save, so apparently yes!

Edited by wpetula