Different types of stars?

Hoping to see binary star systems like the Alpha Centauri system. With the addition of potential restricted 3 body physics, it would be thrilling to try and maneuver around one of those things.

Edited by intelliCom

14 hours ago, TheOrbitalMechanic said:

I'd love a Trappist-1 analog, like a red dwarf that has planets in super close orbits around it.

Kind of an mini version of the already Trapist 1 like system KSP is :)

And yes its fun to play around Jool as the transit times is short. 

And expect different star system and hope for multi star systems. 

I'm hoping that it won't be too hard to change the color of the light emitted by the star via modding, that would make it a lot easier to add in more star systems that have different types of stars at their centers. Even perhaps neutron stars, white dwarfs, and black holes (stellar mass black holes, not supermassive black holes (aka SMBH).
The problems of approaching a white dwarf or neutron star or black hole would mostly be ones of radiation danger, so you'd really only ever want to send probes (or inorganic life aka AIs) there.
Dangerous missions like this where our very biology fails us (aka we can't handle the high radiation without so much shielding that it weighs the rocket down too much) is a good reason to develop very smart (perhaps even self-aware) AI and the capability for robots to self-replicate.

I guess if you really wanted to add a SMBH to the game, you could do it, but it would have to basically be a "solar system" that has just the one SMBH plus maybe it's accretion disk and polar jets in it (sort of like how IRL the M87 galaxy's SMBH has at least one polar jet coming from it because it can't eat all the matter that's flowing into it for some reason).
I guess that would be fine, but you'd only be able to have the one SMBH in the game at one time for realism's sake, we're not talking intergalactic travel yet.
Naturally such a SMBH would be the most distant object in the game, and reaching it should be a significant achievement even if you're only capable of doing a fly-by of it.
As a "pull a number from thin air" guess, I'd say it should be 100-1000 light years from Kerbin.
IRL the distance between Sol (our sun), and the SMBH at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy (Sagittarius A*), is roughly 25640 light years (yes that will change over time because the orbit of the Sun around the galaxy's center is not perfectly circular, but it's still quite a long ways compared to the distances in the Kerbal solar systems).
If you can make all the other star systems orbit that SMBH, that's just bonus points, at the time scales we're thinking of for interstellar travel the stars in the galaxy might as well be fixed in place.