Historical Space Race Challenge

On 2/9/2022 at 12:11 AM, Scarecrow71 said:

@jinnantonix

You need shots from the rocket in orbit, as well as its flight path, in order for it to count.  Simply sitting it on the launchpad doesn't show that the launch succeeded. 

I know, I'll start a mission report and put together a video for each  achievement.

Edit:  I have decided to make a few minor changes,

I cannot decide which engine to use for the verniers.  Twitch, Spider or Cub?  I tested with the Cub -looks correct in terms of size against the Kodiak (RL-107/108).  But too much thrust?

BVfVjDZ.jpg                                                      NsJbmqQ.jpg

Also will reduce the payload size to match the IRL sizing of the warhead.

yl2NgpW.jpg

Edited by jinnantonix

1 hour ago, Maria Sirona said:

The core module was launched in 86, and the launches of Spektr and another module (i don't remember what was its name, Pridoda or something) were launched well into the 90s...

You will notice that a lot of these firsts were launched well before the first actually happened.  Voyager II is a great example having been launched in 1977, years before it did either fly-by.  There are going to be plenty of discrepancies in the flights; my focus is simply on playing through the space race.  Remember that not every challenge is for every player.

@Scarecrow71 my research indicates that Discoverer 1 was not the first satellite in polar orbit, as it is widely held that the craft never reached orbit and crashed "somewhere near the south pole".  The first confirmed polar orbit appears to be Discoverer 2, and that mission was more interesting because it included a test of returning a film capsule to Earth.  Do you have any objections to me replacing D1 with D2 in the series?

4 minutes ago, jinnantonix said:

@Scarecrow71 my research indicates that Discoverer 1 was not the first satellite in polar orbit, as it is widely held that the craft never reached orbit and crashed "somewhere near the south pole".  The first confirmed polar orbit appears to be Discoverer 2, and that mission was more interesting because it included a test of returning a film capsule to Earth.  Do you have any objections to me replacing D1 with D2 in the series?

FrI'm the Wikipedia entry on Discoverer 1:

In 1959, it was believed to have obtained orbit with speculation that the protective nose cone over the antennas was ejected just before the Agena fired and that the Agena then rammed into the nose cone, damaging the antennas.

I'm going to hold you to D1 unless you can show me where you saw it didn't achieve orbit?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discoverer_1

Discoverer 1 ... was the first satellite launched toward the South Pole in an attempt to achieved a polar orbit, but was unsuccessful. A CIA report, later declassified, concluded that "Today, most people believe the Discoverer 1 landed somewhere near the South Pole".[5]

Edit:  There is conjecture in various linked citations as to whether the craft went completely silent (i.e. crashed), or whether it gained orbit there was later some intermittent contact.  Since there was a tendency in the day to report optimistically for political reasons I am sceptical of the latter

However if you want me to do D1, I am happy to.

Edited by jinnantonix

And I finally, for the first time ever, dropped something on Eve's surface.

This was the hardest thing I've ever done in KSP.  Ever.  I did a quick-save once I achieved Eve orbit, and I must have tried every known strategy for getting to the surface known to Kerbals.  Direct descent, multiple aero-braking passes, using fuel, not using fuel, using the engine as a heat shield, decoupling the engine early...everything.  In the end, it simply ended up being sheer dumb luck that got me through.  And those heat shields I encased the probe in?  Yeah, they were nearly useless.  On 99% of the descents they exploded in the atmosphere leaving the probe all innocent and exposed.  Which then caused it to explode.  To be honest, I wish I would have taken video of this so I could watch it and remember how I did this so I can do it again at some point.

A small mission today.

I will state up front that I will have to relaunch the Agena Target Vehicle.  I was able to garner enough science on Luna X mission to unlock Clamp-O-Tron Jr., and that is far easier to work with than the Ocans that I originally put up in orbit.  And the ATV will be used in at least 1 more launch, so I need to have it up there.  There isn't anything wrong with the ATV; I simply want parts that I'm used to using.  :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.