Leaving Kerbin SOI for just a moment

Hi all.

When I play a game I often have some extra  Delta-v when gathering science around one of the moon of Kerbin.

Example: getting science from Mün's orbit then doing a flyby of Minmus for extra science.

Or after getting my science from Minmus exiting the Kerbin SOI to get some Sun science.

So here is my question.

What is the best way to leave the SOI and come back to it.

I can manage it but feel that I am doing it wrong.

Should I leave on the sun-side of the SOI or the other side? Prograde or retrograde?

And how to setup the interception back to Kerbin?

As said I manage every time but I feel that I should use far less delta-v as I am just on the outside.

Thanks for reading this and any input is appreciated.

ME

If you just barely escape Kerbin's SoI (which means it's going to take a while) you can easily return to the SoI with a small burn, pretty much directly at Kerbin.  To reduce your periapsis, aim a bit more retrograde relative to your velocity vector from Kerbin.

5 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

So here is my question.

What is the best way to leave the SOI and come back to it.

I can manage it but feel that I am doing it wrong.

Should I leave on the sun-side of the SOI or the other side? Prograde or retrograde?

And how to setup the interception back to Kerbin?

to get out, make the smallest possible burn to leave.

kerbin's SoI has a radius around 80k km. Get an apoapsis of 100k km, you are going to exit the SoI, but you'll be very slow compared to kerbin, so it will be cheap to return.

to return, point towards kerbin and burn. you are almost stationary compared to kerbin, so just accelerating towards it will do the trick

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.