Don't try to use the letter "M" in a ship name.

rayceeya

8 hours ago, Faile said:

Keybindings seem to bleed through sometimes, not always.. next I'll test if it happens when launching KSP via steam or just when launching from bypass shortcut

Yea, looks like if you launch via steam and the launcher, you place a command pod, select the name of the ship ( fly safe ) and press M to start typing Moonraker for example -> boom, you're in the tracking station

Note: this doesn't happen if you've launched KSP2 from the direct application shortcut many of us have on our desktops or start menus so I'm assuming this is an issue with user privilege inheritance and keybinds.

Same thing happens when trying to 'del' a part you have selected, you get told flight controls have been switched to and from docking controls ( del keybind while in flight )

Ah, that explains why I have not seen this issue, I was not able to launch using the launcher, I had to go to the KSP2 directory and run KSP2_x64.exe directly to get it to start.

15 hours ago, Faile said:

Note: this doesn't happen if you've launched KSP2 from the direct application shortcut many of us have on our desktops or start menus so I'm assuming this is an issue with user privilege inheritance and keybinds.

Same thing happens when trying to 'del' a part you have selected, you get told flight controls have been switched to and from docking controls ( del keybind while in flight )

Interesting! I just experienced the del key switching to/from docking controls inside theVAB, and I never launch from Steam, only from direct shortcuts. This occurred at a point where the normal drag and drop to delete parts in the VAB had stopped working…

I've had this happen, but specifically when it was the last letter in the name and the name was one letter too long. So basically the title overflow didn't result in a stop/error, it just stopped writing text and assumed I pressed M independent of the ship name?

Had the same bug. Wanted to name my second mission: Dune Probe Mk2... and bam I'm in tracking station. But this bug is not restricted to save name only. Had similar problem when I tried to type ... on flag description. It started time warp all of a suden :/

Edited by Shinzo

On 2/25/2023 at 2:53 PM, HebaruSan said:

Putting this next to other reports of the space center following ships in space, it sounds like the game can get confused about which scene it's rendering. If you're in the VAB but some part of the game still thinks you're in flight, that might explain why 'm' would take you to a map view (which the tracking center essentially is without an active craft). Similarly if you're in high orbit but some part of the game thinks you're at the space center.

Just last night, I noticed in the VAB that pressing Z, X, Shift, Control was triggering the sound effects of throttling up & down… I don’t *believe* I had any vessels being controlled by that, but I can’t 100% rule it out either.

14 hours ago, Sea_Kerman said:

I cannot reproduce, launching from the launcher, I have craft named stuff like Munlander Mk 1, Airplane Mk 2, etc.

Yeah, it's more likely to be dependent on particular paths taken through the game prior to the bug (i.e., go straight to the VAB at startup vs launching some rockets first) than how the game is initially launched. Somewhere in the various scene transitions a pointer goes missing.

It's more than just M button. Sometimes any key presses will go through into the game. I saw it with a kerbal on EVA while opening up the escape menu and saving a file. They were moving around as I was typing using the wasd keys.It's more than just M button. Sometimes any key presses will go through into the game. I saw it with a kerbal on EVA while opening up the escape menu and saving a file. They were moving around as I was typing using the wasd keys.

Not sure if this has been reported elsewhere, but I've found a workaround that is improving things for me in the VAB.

It seems that while some input fields are intermittently passing keystrokes through to the game, one key stroke that doesn't get passed through is CTRL-V. Simply compose the text you want in an editor, copy it (CTRL-C), and then paste it into the field you'd like to edit (CTRL-V). The game will happily let you paste text in and doesn't care if you've got "m"'s or any other characters in the field.

Happy naming!

I just tried to replicate the issue but it didn't do it this time. But I know it happened as I tried typing MSS but it took me to the map

Had to settle with KSS

Update: It happens in the workspace area

Edited by Tazooka
Found it