Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

That should work.. I'll test it myself first, hang on..

EDIT: Nope, doesn't work. I don't know then. Turns out I'm stupid, hooray! :D

This should work, but it's not going to have anything to do with the regular drill animation. You'll just be able to click the collect button and get a report.

Edit: well that was a waste of a 1000th post...;.;

Edited by DMagic

Actually, I noted that, as with ScanSat, the scan still runs even when you run out of EC (such as, on the dark side of whatever body you're orbiting with not enough battery capacity...), thus the question about needing to babysit.

Please note that this was with the Medium Scanner running at 50-100x around the Mun.

Should also be noted that I don't mind having to babysit, I just want to know that I have to if I want a complete scan.

Edited by Einarr

If you mine all the Kethane in a deposit, you have to move to a new deposit. If you mine all the Kethane on a planet, you have to move to a new planet.

There are ways to refresh the Kethane deposits, but they involve editing the persistent file and are a bit cheaty. Plus, there's a LOT of Kethane out there :)

so I thought, but with the new big rocket release I constructed a Large processor, can carry 64,000L of kethan at a time, quickly running out of kethane on the Mun and I hate travel to minus too much Delta v to get there.

I look up how to change the cfg files if anything I just want to reset it zero out the current scans and rescan for kethan

Edited by OgreMagi

so I thought, but with the new big rocket release I constructed a Large processor, can carry 64,000L of kethan at a time, quickly running out of kethane on the Mun and I hate travel to minus too much Delta v to get there.
Even taking the plane change into account, it's only a couple hundred more m/s to get there from LKO but orbital insertion and landing both require less than on the Mun.

Yeah and that's not even counting all the fuel you'll be able to bring up to orbit from the surface considering you don't have to fight Mun's gravity. Minmus is so small, you can use the lion's share of fuel in your ships instead of using it to lift the rest of the fuel :)

Okay, that's an exaggeration, you only use about 1/3 to 1/2 of the fuel to get the fuel up into orbit of Mun. But on Minmus you get to keep like 90% or more of it.

5thHorseman: Minmus is small enough that shipping Kethane makes sense. eg, you could ship kethane to your station and then have lots of monoprop when you need it, or lots of LFO.

Using Kethane (the mod) on its own, it probably does make more sense to refine on-site and ship only fuel, but when used with EL, shipping kethane makes the logistics easier.

5thHorseman: Minmus is small enough that shipping Kethane makes sense. eg, you could ship kethane to your station and then have lots of monoprop when you need it, or lots of LFO.

Using Kethane (the mod) on its own, it probably does make more sense to refine on-site and ship only fuel, but when used with EL, shipping kethane makes the logistics easier.

I was speaking in generalities above. Whether you bring it up as Kethane or Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer, or Monoprop, you've got to lift it and what you're going to be using to lift it is (or was before refining) the Kethane you just mined. And on Minmus, you burn a lot less to get the rest of it to orbit no matter what chemical state it's in.

So I came across an issue with scanning. After 0.23.5 I uninstalled kethane mod, and downloaded/reinstalled the 0.23.5 updated mod. Started scanning Kerbin, hearing the two different "beeps" but noticed that every hexagon is white, none are green. When I mouse over the hexagons none read that there is any kethane. I also started a new game save as well for the 0.23.5 update.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I was speaking in generalities above. Whether you bring it up as Kethane or Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer, or Monoprop, you've got to lift it and what you're going to be using to lift it is (or was before refining) the Kethane you just mined. And on Minmus, you burn a lot less to get the rest of it to orbit no matter what chemical state it's in.

I literally wrote a 10 page paper on how to optimize fuel consumption on Kethane runs. Hope that helps!

I literally wrote a 10 page paper on how to optimize fuel consumption on Kethane runs. Hope that helps!

Good read (Only on paragraph one, but only due to work constraints at this moment ... yeah.. I'm busy, can't ya tell? ;) ), but why did you write this?

Is it possible to make the scanners fire and forget, i.e. they keep scanning even when you aren't flying?

Nope. It is a much suggested feature that scanning not take longer than it does to make fifteen thousand soufflés by hand with one oven, but alas, I've read before that Majiir is against the idea. I can't remember clearly though. Your best bet is to do the following:

1. Forget about the 1m scanner. It's useless. Since what matters is how fast the probe crosses the terrain (short orbital periods are better), the "advantage" of the 1m scanner being able to scan higher up is self-defeating.

2. If you're comfy with config editing, change the scan rate of the scanning parts to 0.1. That way you should be able to get complete scanning done at higher warp speeds (the scan rate is measured in real time, not game time).

3. Cry because it's still going to take a good long while of leaving KSP on high time warp doing absolutely nothing. Or really doing nothing if you actually are playing the game and have Kerbal Alarm Clock set to pause so that you don't crash a probe into Jool or something like that.

Yes I sound overly negative. But the scanning is, in my opinion, the most hair-pullingly annoying part of what is otherwise a really decent mod. A lot could be learned from ScanSat on this.

Forget about the 1m scanner. It's useless. Since what matters is how fast the probe crosses the terrain (short orbital periods are better), the "advantage" of the 1m scanner being able to scan higher up is self-defeating.

Actually, the Medium Survey scans each hexagon faster than the Compact Survey (0.9 seconds per hex compared to the Compact's 1.5 seconds per hex, according to the files).

This means that you can timewarp faster with the Medium without missing any tiles.

It might only mean the difference between a perfect scan at x50 and a perfect scan at x100, but that alone can cut scanning time in half.

And higher elevations, while having a longer orbital period, also open up faster timewarp speeds, which can also help reduce scanning times.

How come the scanner can't remember(or recalculate) its traversed path since last load, and then retroactively scan all of the appropriate hexes? TAC Life support consumes resources since last load each time you load a vessel. The math on this is a little more complex, but it does not seem like an insurmountable problem.

How come the scanner can't remember(or recalculate) its traversed path since last load, and then retroactively scan all of the appropriate hexes? TAC Life support consumes resources since last load each time you load a vessel. The math on this is a little more complex, but it does not seem like an insurmountable problem.

Keeping track of what orbit a vessel has been in and for how long: easy. Efficiently computing which cells that vessel has passed over in that time: hard.

Actually, the Medium Survey scans each hexagon faster than the Compact Survey (0.9 seconds per hex compared to the Compact's 1.5 seconds per hex, according to the files).

This means that you can timewarp faster with the Medium without missing any tiles.

It might only mean the difference between a perfect scan at x50 and a perfect scan at x100, but that alone can cut scanning time in half.

And higher elevations, while having a longer orbital period, also open up faster timewarp speeds, which can also help reduce scanning times.

Thing is, I'm working from the point-of-view here that it's not worth waiting, since the mod doesn't give you any reasonable options other than using a single device to scan a (relatively) small area. Which is why I say, forget about it. Mod the files, turn-down the scan rate to something much faster, and be happy that you can warp at reasonable speeds. Note that I tried exactly what you suggested. In low orbit around Minmus, at 100x, it was still missing tiles.

Majiir: What about emulating ScanSAT and computing the position of other vessels in the same SoI with sensors on them and using those to scan concurrently? Because while this is perfectly fine from a standpoint of doing a single scanning mission at a time, and nothing else (to avoid missing a burn or something like that), it really breaks-down when one say, adds KAC and starts running lots of concurrent missions, spending a lot of time away from the single scanning satellite. That way, at least we'd be able to add extra vessels to scan faster, instead of using MOAR TIMEWARP, the difference being that the latter can much more easily get in the way of doing other things in KSP other than scanning, while the former much less so.

Edited by phoenix_ca

I have a small request... :)

Due to the way the Kethane refinery units work I'm always doubtful whether or not my craft will actually create fuel from the mined Kethane. I'm sure I'm not the only one who sent a miner to Minmus / Mun only to find out that for some part alignment reason or the other the Kethane doesn't get converted.

Hence, the idea: Why not add a (miniscule) amount of Kethane to the tile on which the KSC is located? The real-game use of Kethane on Kerbin is neglectible (at least until fuel costs money in KSP ;) ) but having a minor deposit at the doorstep would make prototyping craft much much easier.

Yeah I know... a 'legit' option within the game would be fabulous though. You can always scan Kerbin and do a quick hop to a kethane deposit nearby but still, its a bit tedious to test a engineering problem rather than a whole lander / station / base design so I thought I'd just bring the idea up. I don't see any game-breaking advantages with a tiny deposit since as I said, fuel on Kerbin is free in the VAB.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.