Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Yeah, and I've been meaning to change this. I still need to consolidate some of the extractor code since currently the two drills have fairly different logic.

Yes. This was requested long ago but the old scan format didn't facilitate exporting that kind of data. With the grid, it's a simple loop.

It's not. The 2D map is for export only.

I'm not sure why some of you think a 2D map is more useful. I can see that it's useful in conjunction with other 2D maps like ISA, but imagine if those same maps were projected on a 3D surface. It's not so much a shortcoming of the 3D format as it is a shortcoming of ISA. The export function is there to help people out but I have no plans to return to a two-dimensional format, and the raw image export might not make it in depending on how the deposit and scanning revisions turn out. I do aim to support at least some kind of data export, and per-cell data might be the more appropriate way to do that. (Rendering an image is really a gigantic pain. Go support this request if you want to make it a tad easier.)

I would be VERY happy just to have some way of getting the data exported out to some usable file. the center of the hex bin in lat, lon and some value for that bins kethane... Not asking for any additional rendering or work. Just like you stated, during loop for creation of the 2D map or somewhere, a simple dump out to some file kethane_mun.txt for example would be excellent.

thanks for all of your work.

DrTedAstro.

No, it's 3d map or nothing

Exactly. I wish that people wouldn't remove features from things. Adding the 3d map is all well and good (well, except for increased system resource use), but I don't see why the 2d map was removed. Hidden unless you right click on the detector and show it is one thing, but simply removed is frustrating.

There are (many) times where I want to see an overview of the map while being able to look at other things.

I'm an old GIS geek, and I'd just like to pitch in some support for keeping any kind of 2D output to file of the information. I've used separate mapping software to check ISA height data with an overlay of Kethane deposits to try to identify high-yield landing areas that are flat(-ish). As been said before, there is no night side and it's way easier to analyze the data outside of KSP.

Edited by Delling
spelling

Data export (cell location, scanned status and resource quantity) will definitely make it in. A 2D map export might make it in (I'm leaning toward no, but we'll see, and in any event someone could write a renderer with the data export). The old 2D map will not return as an in-game feature because it had technical problems and the code was a pain to maintain. I'm also working on opening up more of the Kethane API on the plugin itself. I worked last night with someone who was building a MechJeb module that automatically performs inclination changes to improve Kethane scanning. As posted earlier, I'm also working on the grid shader so it can illuminate night-side terrain. (I need to work on this a bit because the shader alone isn't going to do the job.)

Exactly. I wish that people wouldn't remove features from things. Adding the 3d map is all well and good (well, except for increased system resource use), but I don't see why the 2d map was removed. Hidden unless you right click on the detector and show it is one thing, but simply removed is frustrating.

The new map uses more GPU and CPU time but less memory and disk space, the code is much easier to maintain, and the save format is much more portable and malleable. The GPU is only used when you're in the map view (which is a simpler scene anyway), and as of the 0.7.3 update, the CPU usage is quite light. In technical terms, the 3D map is a big improvement. Keeping the 2D map would be a big pain. It's maybe kinda possible that a new 2D renderer could be built, but it would probably have to work in a similar way as the grid (rendering geometry instead of drawing pixels to a buffer). I'd much rather support third-party utilities than clutter up the codebase. With a more open API, someone can write a plugin that interfaces with Kethane and draws the map itself. (Have fun getting it to work in real time!)

Every change breaks someone's workflow, but I'm very happy with the new map now that performance issues have been resolved, and the overwhelming response has been in agreement. I think you'll find the changes coming to be helpful, and I hope you'll embrace more innovative ideas too (like illuminating the night side or overlaying altitude data on the globe rather than trying to view Kethane on a rectangle).

I think i wasn't clear. On start up screens. To not modify start up screens. In game on map mode, i love it!
Looking into the source on Github it looks like the value you want to set is ShowInMenu.

After some trial and error I figured it out. I placed ShowInMenu in the following location

ScanningSound = True

ShowInMenu = False

ShowOverlay = False

For some reason it kept reverting my changes when I placed it at the end although it might work for you there. So edit GameData/Kethane/settings.cfg and then start your game.

Was just mentioned on the previous page.

Every change breaks someone's workflow

Just look at how many people scream bloody murder every time Facebook gets an update....

I personally would LOVE to see the proposed changes to the grid! (Altitude under mouse over, dark side lighting while grid is turned on)

As for third party interfacing with Kethane for the 2d map,, I know he's been super busy lately but perhaps we can knock in the ISA developers door for that one? Having those combined would be amazing too :)

The 2D map is better for mission planning (easier to take the image and lay them next to each other)

However the 3D map is vital for those of us that are A) a few points away from legally blind without vision correction and B) Have a small monitor because we are poor.

And as he says, the way he did the 3D map is actually much better because it renders on the fly rather than being a static image that is updated to have the deposits revealed. Previously those 2D maps were basically a picture in your folder that was slowly updated. Now it is just a small file that says where the deposits are and the plugin renders it on the go. The difference in resource usage is actually pretty minimal.

From an in-game perspective, it is also easier to use in my opinion. Ignoring the aforementioned eyesight problems, in my opinion it is much easier to see exactly where the gaps are and see where exactly a deposit is in relation to the world. The 2D map was always frustrating to me because it puts things in terms of coordinates that have a totally arbitrary origin. There is nothing on the surface of Kerbin that denotes a prime meridian. The Equator is easy enough, sure, but the meridians are totally arbitrary. And as a note, KSC is not at the prime meridian! So I would read these deposits at XX N and XX W, but that does not really tell me much when trying to land or see if the deposit is in the ocean.

I love the grid and for me it has been a complete replacement of the 2d map. Not to mention linux still has some issues with KSP's png files and the fewer we need the better.

On a side note, I would regard with unreserved and profuse gratification any further development of kethane catalytic reactors; such as radial engines, airospikes, and the like. *Profusely*

Yea I 2nd the above. More engines would be nice for kethane and maybe a converter that has a force drain to the engine to convert for say a kintake engine to a solid like engine (a booster perhaps)?

Plus satellite styled kethane scanners? The design could look like the new 3d grid itself with green flashing lights maybe...I have a bunch of ideas for this project...would be nice if I could jump on the band wagon (I draw alot.....alot I used to study at the art institute of atlanta.) As far as 3d modeling I can do that as well just never attempted for ksp.

I have to say I love the new map too. But is there a way to get back the "last deposit" indicator, or some facsimile of it? When my prospecting rover is driving over the ground, I can't tell when it crosses the deposit boundary because the entire map was already scanned from orbit, and the detector sound seems to be broken for me.

I love the grid and for me it has been a complete replacement of the 2d map. Not to mention linux still has some issues with KSP's png files and the fewer we need the better.

On a side note, I would regard with unreserved and profuse gratification any further development of kethane catalytic reactors; such as radial engines, airospikes, and the like. *Profusely*

I always thought there needed to be a kethane engine for use in space. I was working on one that uses kethane and oxi. It has issues with burn rate though, plus I kinda suck at making engine bells.

Majiir, that pressure-fed engine concept sounds amazing. Bootstrapping it with RCS while in space is genius!

Real spacecraft do this because pressure-fed engines are very common for orbital engines. (I believe the Apollo spacecraft had to use RCS in order to push fuel toward the back for the transfer engine.) Larger pressure-fed engines don't need another engine for assistance because gravity does the job, and we haven't launched big pressure-fed boosters into orbit yet.

Wondering if anyone has the same problem as me. When I launch a spacecraft into space after installing the mod, I can't end the flight or go to the space center via the space center button. Whenever I press those buttons they act like the resume game button, can anyone solve my problem?

Real spacecraft do this because pressure-fed engines are very common for orbital engines. (I believe the Apollo spacecraft had to use RCS in order to push fuel toward the back for the transfer engine.) Larger pressure-fed engines don't need another engine for assistance because gravity does the job, and we haven't launched big pressure-fed boosters into orbit yet.

The larger apogee engines on Earth-orbiting satellites also use pressure-fed fuels. However, we keep the tank pressures high enough (and the flow rates are small enough) that we don't need to fire RCS thrusters to "bootstrap" it first.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.