The Linux compatibility thread!

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 and my system runs the demo version great. But the full version gets to the very end of the loading screen and quickly and silently shuts down. It's a fresh install of 0.23 and it's never run. I'm using the standard drivers for Intel graphics. I think the log file says a memory allocation failed. My 4GB is supposed to be enough. My son is very sad about this.

Kerbal Space Program - 0.23.0.0 (LinuxPlayer)

CPU: Intel® Core i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4)

RAM: 3936

GPU: Mesa DRI Intel® Sandybridge Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2 (256MB)

Unity3D log: http://justpaste.it/ffgk

KSP log: http://justpaste.it/ffgn

Hardinfo Report of my system: http://justpaste.it/ffgq

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Hi. A fresh Ubuntu user (Whoo!) here. Mainly installed it in dual boot to let KSP utilize more memory. I use a lot of mods. Not an IT expert here, so I'm a bit stuck now. I've gotten the ksp_installer but i just keep getting Permission denied when trying to run through console and "Unable to locate the program" When trying to run from file manager. What am I doing wrong? HALP! Have I just installed a whole operating system for nothing?

KSP running out of memory was a problem back in 0.19 for me and since then I haven't played at all. Reinstalled some time ago and now it's got me back in.

I might need some support in using Ubuntu in the first place, but that can stay outside the KSP forums. I'm just baffled why I cannot change settings by default.

I don't know if it's been posted about in this thread before, but I ran into an issue the other day trying to run KSP on a computer lab machine at my university, on which I don't have root access. In particular, I was missing the Arial fonts. The information on that problem at the beginning of this thread seems to imply that KSP uses fontconfig to find installed fonts, so I installed them to ~/.fonts and ran fc-cache -fv, which found and cached them. However, this is not actually the case - running under strace reveals that in fact KSP only searches recursively under /usr/share/fonts regardless of fontconfig settings. This means that users like me, on public machines without root access, cannot install the fonts anywhere KSP will find them.

I did come up with a workaround that let me use the fonts, but I would hesitate to recommend it to others as it involves patching the KSP binary. Please back up your install before you try this, and only proceed if you actually understand what all of the words in the following procedure mean and what you're doing at each step.

To do it, first make a font directory somewhere you can write to, and put in it the Arial fonts and a symlink back to /usr/share/fonts. The full path to this directory must be shorter in length than "/usr/share/fonts" - I used "/tmp/fontslol". It's likely possible to use relative paths from the location of the KSP binary but I haven't tried it - if you get it working please let me know!

Next, use the command "strings -t x KSP.x86(_64) | grep fonts" to find the offset in the binary of the directory name where it searches for fonts - I found that in the 64 bit 0.23.5 binary it's at offset 0xF1F168.

Now, open the binary in your favorite hex editor and navigate to that offset. Write over the "/usr/share/fonts" string with the name of your directory. Be sure to terminate the string with a null byte if it's shorter than the original string.

The patched binary will now search recursively under your new directory for fonts, finding the Arial fonts and searching through the symlink for whatever else it needs.

This is an ugly hack, but I thought I'd post it here in case others are in the same situation - I'm not sure if the font-loading code comes from KSP or Unity, but it'd be nice if whichever team is responsible could address this issue in future versions.

Hi. A fresh Ubuntu user (Whoo!) here. Mainly installed it in dual boot to let KSP utilize more memory. I use a lot of mods. Not an IT expert here, so I'm a bit stuck now. I've gotten the ksp_installer but i just keep getting Permission denied when trying to run through console and "Unable to locate the program" When trying to run from file manager. What am I doing wrong? HALP! Have I just installed a whole operating system for nothing?

If what you've got is an archive (can't remember if it's .zip or .tar.gz, but it doesn't really matter) just right click and "extract here". Go into the folder it just created and right click on the KSP and/or Launcher executable and make sure the check box for "allow executing file as a program" is checked. You should just be able to click on it and have it run.

If what you've got is an archive (can't remember if it's .zip or .tar.gz, but it doesn't really matter) just right click and "extract here". Go into the folder it just created and right click on the KSP and/or Launcher executable and make sure the check box for "allow executing file as a program" is checked. You should just be able to click on it and have it run.

That's kind of a problem. I can't check the box. :P

Are you referring to ksp_installer linked on the first page?

Have you downloaded the Archive with the Game from the main Game site?

open the Applikation 'Terminal' to run the following commands

if you haven't downloaded ksp_installer yet

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Voidi/proprietary_installer/master/ksp_installer

make the script executable, else the the shell won't execute it

chmod u+x ksp_installer

My installer script

./ksp_installer <Path to desired Game directory>

If in the the path given as Argument, exist an KSP install the script only creates entry in your Startmenü and a launcherscript to avoid some bugs.

Use this when you extracted the archive manually before.

If in the the path given as Argument, is not a KSP install, then it will try to download the archive using your login and password for the 'kerbalspaceprogramm.com' store

If you have manually downloaded the archive from the store before, make sure it is in the same directory as 'ksp_installer'; The installer script will skip downloading and use the existing one.

Hope this explanation understandable, my english skills are terrible.

Voidi

That's kind of a problem. I can't check the box. :P

Ok, presumably the file is owned by someone other than yourself. You can see that on the permissions tab. Normally anything you download through your browser and dump in your home folder is owned by you, so you can do what you like with it. Simplest way to take ownership is to open the terminal (Ctrl-T) and run:

sudo chown username /path/to/file

Where username is your username, obviously. You can hit TAB to autocomplete the file location instead of typing it all in. Once you own the file you can set it executable either by a right click or the chmod command Voidi gave.

Are you sure you actually need this installer script though? If you just download KSP straight from the official site it works fine on Ubuntu in English.

ok so I have been ATI since the RTM build of vista lol , as ATI was the only card with drivers , I have always defended them but this is crunch time, I have still got the black screen on loading ksp , sp remove drivers back to open source and it all good again , so my question is this

I am going to but a new card , this is about all I can stretch to , http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiageforcegraphicscards/nvidiagtx760series/n760tf2gd5oc.html

I am only buying this to play ksp on linux , so I need to know that it will f*%$^$%king work lol

anyone who is using nvidia cards with proprietry and have you had any issues ?

@Seret If I'm the only user on this system and ubuntu doesn't have other users even. I have no idea how it can be owned by someone other than me. Except for the fact that it's not on the same drive as ubuntu. Don't know if that affects things. No it doesn't work for me :P

@sploooshman well, before I managed to get the proprietary drivers, the screen wasn't actually properly refreshing. Was a bit of a pain to find out where I can get the drivers.

Edited by heikkik

@Seret If I'm the only user on this system and ubuntu doesn't have other users even. I have no idea how it can be owned by someone other than me. Except for the fact that it's not on the same drive as ubuntu. Don't know if that affects things. No it doesn't work for me :P

You're not the only user. I use Ubuntu myself, and just because it doesn't have a root account by default doesn't mean it doesn't have other users. Linux was designed as a multi-user system right from the start. Your system has lots of "users", you're just one of them.

You say you can't set the executable flag on the file, so it must be owned by someone other than yourself. What does it say when you right-click and check the permissions tab? Who is the owner? If it's a file you downloaded through your browser then it really should be owned by you and you should have no problem running it.

I can't change the Access in any of the fields. I've tried using chown -R and -hR on the folder, even as root from the console... I just can't change the access or anything :P When I do everything as Voidi instructed, I get permission denied even when trying to run ksp_installer as root. Oh and the image is of KSP.exe but it's the same for all the files, even ksp_installer

uvNPtWU.png

Edited by heikkik

So where is this file currently? You said it's not on the same drive as Ubuntu? The problem might be more to do with the drive (ie: it's something mounted as read-only for some reason). Copy the file over to somewhere you know you can read and write to and try again?

I have no idea how it can be owned by someone other than me. Except for the fact that it's not on the same drive as ubuntu. Don't know if that affects things. No it doesn't work for me :P

What is the filesystem of the drive and how is it mounted? I know some filesystem don't implement execution rights

you can get all mount informations if run run the 'mount' command in terminal as normal user

Oh yeah. So it might be because this is the older drive that I use to store my stuff on? It's NTFS. I installed Ubuntu on my SSD, where Windows is installed, too. I'm moving it to the same drive later tonight. Need to take a break for now :P

Hi there I'v been having some issue's for the last two weeks I'v read as much as I can and tried loads of difrent fix's now I have reinstalled my system tried again but still crashing all the time :( any help would be much appreciated thank you sooo much for an amazing game here's my log output http://pastebin.com/yjbEWpzk I'm on a lenovo thinkpad t420 with 64 bit kali linux

BrutalRIP, we're on 0.23.5, check your builtID.txt, it should say the following:

build id = 464

2014-04-01_17-04-22

Branch: master

Jamie92, you have an Intel graphics card, while the latest ones are good the older ones, and laptop ones, tend to be lacking in feature support at the driver or hardware level, you can see a lot of features are disabled in the log.

Try enabling the fallback part shaders and disabling the planet shader in the settings screen, also turn down the atmospheric effects slider.

System: Kubuntu 14.04 64 bit, Video: AMD 6770m with open-source drivers.

Problem: There are no shadows of spacecrafts on the planets, and it's hard to perform precise landing. I got some mods previously, but I reinstalled the game from steam (I think, this should have reverted all configs?). Even if all video settings are at their maximum, there are no shadows (no shadows on terrain and no self-shadowing on the ships, should they be? However, flat shading is on it's place). The only fix I've found on this forum is Intel-related and most likely won't help in my situation. What can I do to diagnose and fix my problem?