Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

All wings and such aero parts seem to be missing the ModuleLiftingSurface that 1.0.x uses for defining lift using the stock aero system, resulting in none of the wings generating any lift at all under the stock system.

Yea I wondered if it was indeed FS or just the cfg file, but I took at look at the DLL and 7.1.1 is missing "private void updateResourcePersistence ();" in the code. The older versions have that, and I'm guessing that's why it's not actually remembering what the changes were in the VAB.

Of course I know how to open a DLL and look at that kind of stuff, but I have no clue how to make that change to the source code and recompile to test it :)

huh, I can't repro your issue on the current FS - can you provide specifics? I'm having no issues at all with things reverting.

Yeah I need to do a full pass, tweak the engines to be more in line with the stock ones, and adjust all of the lifting surfaces, flaps, etc. to be compatible with stock as well. This may take a bit of time ;)

Im almost want you to leave that engine as is, so I can then strap as many as possible to a light weight frame lol This IS KSP we're talking about after all lol

7.1.2 is up

Cost fixes and engine first-pass. Essentially since ISP varies thrust not fuel efficiency, I adjusted the thrust amount to put all of the engines at their ASL thrust level, with engine thrust decreasing as you gain altitude using the original FS float curves. This seemed the least invasive way of dong this.

@Snjo - let me know your thoughts on the lifting surfaces, etc. - i.e. do you want to convert over to stock?

Also if you have the original models I can start doing some art passes :)

tbh most of the discussion in this thread relates to the plugin ;)

Oh, I see they download direct to correct Download now. I though you weren't able to update the OP to update the link. Seems Snjo was so nice updated it.

FYI for folks playing with 7.1.2 - feedback on the engines would be good

The only problem I have had with testing Firespitter is that I spend way too much time just playing with it ;)

Playing with the electrical props now (since they would be the most useful in Duna and Eve atmo, without the O2 and with the new fuel cells online, as well as other EC-generating options around). I'm actually kinda okay with the output vs. EC consumption of the nose-mounted ElecProp (okay, maybe the cheaty part of me wants it to be a tad more efficient, when in a two-prop setup I have to mount and run two Universal Storage fuel cells (about +16EC @ if I recall?) to minimize net EC consumption at full throttle (about -5EC/sec with both cells running and two nose-mounted electrical props at full blast, in case you need hard numbers). But I believe it's actually good balance for the props to draw hard at full throttle, especially since they're not meant to be rotors (was testing them for potential VTOL purposes). Kinda forces me to work on a setup that'll fly at cruise power.

The tweakable electrical prop, on the other hand... The setup I ran it with had prop size @ .7 or thereabouts, 4 or 5 blades, everything else unchanged, and I mounted it on a simple, light plane (e.g., cockpit, structural fuselage, swept wings and tail, plus a battery). At full blast, I was registering... about -2 to -3 EC? A few static solar panels and it was unlimited powaaaah!!!! (for as long as daylight lasted, anyway).

Need a bit more time with the rotors to give any observations.

And yes, having way too much fun trying to replicate this FS elecprop-based VTOL I saw in a Duna Direct video playing around as well. :D

When I try using the water launch system to launch from anywhere except the normal runway my plane spontaneously explodes. How can I stop it doing this and why does it happen? My guess is that the game thinks that it is moving insanely fast to get to the launch site and burns it.

Edited by volcanicshrimp

Hey Roverdude, I use Firespitter in my mod and recently created a part that uses Firespitter sound effects. Are those ok to distribute as long as I have your and Snjo's permission? I'm also experiencing a lot of extra overheating when trying to use the hover function in the rotor throttle module. Is this an intentional side effect, and if so, how can I reduce it?

Last thing: would it be possible to, at some point, have the module guide for modders on Google Docs updated to include more modules? It seems that the one linked from the OP is missing a significant chunk of what Firespitter provides, and it would be awesome to get some more detail on what is available through the plugin :)

Thanks! Glad to see that you are helping keep Firespitter up to date :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.