Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

When I get the time I would post my munar science base rover.

*EDIT*

Reset my KSP via steam when trying to back it up and lost all my ksp data.:(

if it can be done, please delete this post

Edited by Zhadyios
useless due to data loss

Helped out with your wheel popping problem Lunait, Integrated some tech from my current Munrover MKIII-B Project into it.

Heres the Download Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85344120/Bland%20Rover-G.craft

Might have to right click the dropbox link, and "save link as" as just tested it, and chrome likes to open it as a text file, rather than downloading it to disk.

It's a bit tippier than it used to be, but seems realistic enough for a Landrover.

But it beats the tires popping on every little bump, now it can hit the VAB/launchpad rails at 10ms with no wheel popping, not bad for a vehicle (8.3 tons) that weighs more than a woolly mammoth (6.7 tons)

Edited by GorillaZilla
Silly Chrome ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
I´m running on my laptop today, so I don´t find all the files, but still a few:

Mobile base:

http://www./view/fkqczce5cex2oqw/Tardigrade%201.craft

ScienceMobil:

http://www./view/t5627f5293jtdgf/Lab%20Rover%20Peter%20Lustig.craft

Duna Rover:

http://www./view/pkuwxy9o57o1vh3/Duna%20Exploration%20Vehicle%20-.craft

Cornercutter (early version):

http://www./view/273p7p4x78wpcph/Minimus%20Project%20Prototype.craft

Thx for the comments, have fun :)

could you reupload the duna exploration vehicle? it seems to have some non stock part(s) on it.

(Edited post to add in things I forgot, and it disappeared so Re-posting)

After A few weeks R&D of our 3 man skunkworks the Munrover Mark 3 B is ready for service.

It doesn't look like much at first sight, but this thing is not about looks... Its about Extreme functionality.

Built to be practically indestructible and utterly dependable through any incident yet lightweight and speedy as possible, Capable of falling from great heights without even popping a Tyre.

Carries all scientific equipment bar the atmospheric nosecone, which is intended to be attached on the inside side of the fuel tanks if headed to an object with an atmosphere, but left out otherwise to save weight.

For Refueling and experiment refreshing It's up to the user to fit a docking port in a location that complies with their own standard, or use Kerbal Attachment system to connect via Winch/Radial Port or Pipes.

screenshot14_zps6c2f500e.png

screenshot16_zps3cb3bade.png

screenshot15_zpsf4f139ce.png

screenshot18_zpsccd86d53.png

Massively Durable Omni-Directional Accordion Suspension.

screenshot12_zps631cb179.png

General testing Video:

Craft File: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85344120/Munrover%20MKIII-B.craft

Comes installed in a Drop test rig, Just extend all the ladders, climb your Kerbal up there and get him aboard, Stage to release the Clamps.

Then Control from the Location of your choice (Seat for normal driving, or probe under the seat for vertical control of flight and navball usage)

Steering on rear wheels is left on, adjust to taste.

Recommend SAS to be enabled, and Rover wheels driven and steered via something other than WASD, And WASD used simultaneously with the driving controls for control in the air for when jumping ramps.

I tend to set throttle to full, and use Abort to turn the engines on and off for flight and hops.

only rear brakes are enabled in the action groups, for flip free braking in low gravity

If you Flip it on Kerbin, just repair any broken roof wheels, and reverse on it's roof to 12 ms, hit the brakes and Pitch down and you should flip right back over again, in Lower gravity the reaction wheel is more than enough to self right.

Feel free to disassemble and reverse engineer it's suspension tech into your own creations :-)

Allows the smaller wheel types to be usable on MUCH larger vehicles without popping because it prevents any one wheel getting overloaded, as the most stressed wheel at any one moment will just squash down until other wheels pick up the load.

Otherwise this machine is a worthy addition to any rover fleet, As it's capable of crossing any terrain at breakneck speed in the worst conditions including in pitch black darkness, yet in (almost) perfect safety as seen in this somewhat too long video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9vxW9OaBKc

Might have just enough delta V with full tanks to get the rover and a full crew into Mun orbit (560ish DV), providing you find an appropriate mountain to "Dukes of Hazard" from. If not, it should be close enough for a kerbal to get out and push to get it just that little extra and into a high enough orbit.

Though the engines are only really there to facilitate safe landings should after unexpected jumps the fall speed exceeds 20ms, and to extricate yourself from tricky places such as the Mohole and other terrain hazards, rather than a full flight capability, They are handy for quick Return to base Via Suborbital Hop as seen at the end of the night driving video.

Putting any more rocket/fuel would detract from and be detrimental to the performance of the primary function of being a ground vehicle capable of wandering and exploring vast areas without expending fuel.

For more flight capability a more rocket focused point to point kerbal transport vehicle would serve better if the destination is already known and suborbital hop plottable, along the lines of the Perfectly balanced SpaceHopper (Does not really even need SAS)

screenshot13_zps37db8910.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85344120/Space%20Hopper%20MKI.craft

(turn batteries off when not in use, so the probe core does not drain them at night)

If you install a mechjeb, I recommend sticking him in this location and angle, so you have the horizontal Driving orientation for when the Rover is Un-manned (seat is not control from here'able without a kerbal in it)

screenshot19_zpsa073bf40.png

Edited by GorillaZilla
Corrections/additions

New Record Set:

Largest rover ever landed on Tylo.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

TILLE, the giant Tylo Rover weighs 28 tons and can carry a crew of 5.

TILLE is a variant of the MILLE version III. MILLE IV was built after this mission departed, and is a version that can actually carry one of the Laboratory parts.

This album contains some screenshots of the MILLE rover family:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Blue

Yesterday Bill, Jeb and Bob returned from their very successful first voyage to Duna.

To reward our heroes, the groundcrew gifted them a small Camper.

After spending MONTHS(!) in the Duna-Exploration-Vehicle! :mad:

... let´s just say the groundcrew is recovering well, and our three Kerbonauts grew to like this neat, luxurious Van.

Today they are enjoying a marveles sunset on their well earned vacation. :cool:

HrogOqg.png

as requested by cxg 2827 I checked the Duna Exploration Vehicle on a vanilla copy, and I found out I left an old Mapsat Part on.

I apologize. Forgot about it, because I don´t use the mod anymore.

So here is the mod-free craftfile:

http://www./view/cn8h10f2tt4f8ih/Duna%20Exploration%20Vehicle%20-.craft

Original design by Spartwo.

http://i.imgur.com/MwOQRrU.png

That is a sexy little rover! There was a blog with craft files mentioned earlier but with no links I could see while on my tablet. Where can I get one?

EDIT: I found it! Right here! Grabbed the Endeavor and Exo rovers. Might go back for that ION Probe.

Edited by BjornKerbannigan
Because I can!

After lots of frustration with trip after trip, gathering minimal information about the Mun and Minmus, our resident engineer, Bill decided that we needed something a little more...Kerbal.

Throwing together as many things as possible onto a laboratory, he finally came up with the best rover we have seen yet from him. Jeb decided it needed a neat name, and named it after the noises coming from Bill as he built the thing. Thus, the Grumbler was born. 6oYBQ

Designed with science in mind, it features a full laboratory for maximum science, including a full contingent of science equipment. Not only highly scientific, it can broadcast all experiment findings back to Mission Control for further analysis.

Capable of driving over nearly any obstacle, its unique suspension can raise itself several meters, or tuck up completely under the chassis for garage storage. 6oYS2

Included on the design is a fully articulated arm that features extendable sections and a winch at the end. 6oYSw

The arm is strong enough to right the machine in the unlikely event of a rollover, and the winch is durable enough to pull the entire weight of the machine up a 30 degree slope, with the aid of a grappling hook.

EDIT: Not pictured in these images is the most current update to this design, which include a rotateable cockpit, so the Kerbal Scientists can get out of the Lander Can.

Edited by Cranium

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so we've all heard of the infamous Duna rovers. but what about mun rovers? post your mun rovers and if you want, any challenges/failures/extremely embarrassing failures/ that you've had with it. i'll start off:

this rover is a four-wheeled, solar-powered mun rover called rovemax mk.1S (S meaning Solar) and it is my first rover that did not fail either while landing or the lander not being able to accommodate the rover properly, or the rocket failing and putting me off for another 2 months. mind you, it almsot did becuase i managed to land on the very edge of a sheer cliff. thankfully i was able to learn rover-wrangling rather quickly and managed to roll away from the lander in one piece.

and as i was rolling up to the sky-crane-debris it exploded about 200m away from me and i found this rolling away from it.

fQvfKw3.png?1

yay, a donut! mission success!

• 1 month later...

Two rovers inspired by the famous Caterpillar rover :

The Beetle, basically a smaller version of the Caterpillar

1393801132-screenshot44.png

The problem for this rover is the huge weight of the cupola (4.5t) in regards with the hitchhiker can (2.5t). I plan to put on this rover a KAS / Infernal Robotics arm. Two mods used : MechJeb and ScanSat

The Amphipod, a tiny rover following the same concept, again MechJeb + ScanSat

I will possibly modify it to put a docking port on the top, as it is currently not transportable by a skycrane ...

1393807242-screenshot45.png

Back view :

1393807243-screenshot46.png

This is the rover project I am most proud of. Since I am using FAR, Deadly Reentry and Remote Tech, it was required that it fits into a fairing and has enough comms on board. Thats why I installed Infernal Robotics, so I could fold it up. It took a lot of hours to design, but I am super happy with the result.

The rover package that will be put into a fairing:

3vAwf0M.jpg

Entering Eve's atmosphere with a huge inflatable heatshield:

XT5uFkV.jpg

Landing on the surface:

AiLnGUy.jpg

The deployed rover! It is super stable, and drives at around 20 m's. SCIENCE!

YowDv1n.jpg

Thats a realy awesome rover! Im playing with the restriction to get everthing in a fairing, too, but i never came up with such an amazing piece of tech...

Edited by Elthy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.