Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

Dom, I love that wheel design. :) Actually, I love the whole rover.

Cheers

Who have guessed this probe rover (#1) can float... but it was supposed to land on Kerbin's north pole, anyway SDVP has second prove rover ready to detach on south pole ;)

F17408C9E526866431FD09A31A93465C203BE1D5

6D9F2EE43F0317FFE1F13EFA451767E05874122E

Second probe rover (#2) detached from SDVP (space delivery vehicle probe) and landed on Kerbin's south pole

4C328B8894818AA8470DE87D12BB814309F1BB16

Not sure it counts as a rover, but it makes a great Mün sled. :P

81pcLJQ.png

6bK5aa7.pngd

and being tested on Kerbin.

f6hsFT7.png

It was supposed to be a rocket sled to break the sound barrier on land.

Edited by Robotengineer
Accidentally uploaded a pic twice. new to this pic posting thing.

I'll say it again.....I'll never use a rover without active RCS suspension:) This little guy endured a 37km trip from the southwest crater to the Mun midlands (double science!!) and was able to link up with an old rescue skiff. Can't wait to see the top speed this thing can get on Duna flatland!

36IXDjD.png

wB3vjn9.png

7smiKPY.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album

R-1: This is a medium rover with a two man crew. It can hit 22.5 m/s. Its low profile prevents it from flipping over at high speed, but it can still do so if you aren't careful. It can easily carry mission specific equipment on its upper frontal and rear plates, you can also cram things into the front. Most important systems are armor plated. The crew sit laying backwards on sponsons. It is highly unlikely that the crew will be killed if the rover flips, but possible.

.craft: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qw0h00rcg8fbezj/R-1.craft

R-2: This is a light rover with a two man crew. It can hit only 9.4m/s, but it is extremely light. Really, its too light and slow to damage itself or its crew. You can probably mount mission specific equipment on the edge of the battery.

.craft: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vt5mry33g6p8r4w/R-2.craft

R-3: This is a heavy rover with a four man crew. It can hit 21.5m/s. Despite being a "heavy" rover, it only weighs 2.7 tons so shouldn't be too hard to transport. Both the crew and important components are armored, so it is likely to survive any crashes. It has a massive amount of area to mount mission specific equipment.

.craft: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8hh54hpgax6uhlb/R-3.craft

Thread here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/77895-R-Rover-Series

Does anyone else like making their rovers doublesided so they can be driven "on their roof" aswell?

I made one with infernal robotics that could roll itself over if it flipped, but that's as close as I've come.

14022546702_161301056f_b.jpg

Sojourner 1 model rover. If all goes well this little guy (and maybe a second one) will be my first rover on Duna. It's shown here packed and ready for the fairings to be added. The whole thing is designed to work like Curiosity minus the skycrane maneuver, the descent rockets will instead take it all the way down and then fly away on touchdown. The main reasons for this are to keep down complexity and because while I do have KAS I don't have any experience using it, let alone for something that wild.

Is it a bird?

g9msltW.png

Is it a train?

rp0v7BZ.png

It's Steath Rover!

Na-na na-na na-na na-na na-na Stealth Rover!

3Xnoxbl.png

(omnomnom memorial)

Carries two operatives, and allows concealed observation of your suroundings!

zJhIiCr.png

PGUHZD4.png

No one will ever know!

N3MHRRh.gif

However, it is recommended that the Stealth Rover is piloted in such a way that a minimum of three of the four wheel pairs remain on the structure.

1KoXt0y.png

Detachment of wheel pairs may result in loss of functionality.

ibFKI0C.png

Here's an album of what I consider to be my best rover so far. Never tested it beyond Kerbin, but I really should. Heck, it was made in the previous update, now I could add a claw to it and make it a Munbase tug!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I mention that Kerbals go crazy in the bonnet, and here's an example of that:

OwHwAdq.png

HfAwEFV.png

N0NUwoE.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.