[1.0] Figaro Global Navigation Satellite System - Launch a Working GPS System

PakledHostage

I've been considering making a "build a GPS network" contract for some time (using Contract Configurator, naturally). I never did simply because it didn't seem to have enough content to stand on its own. All this time though, I was completely unaware of Figaro's existence! If I were to create the cfg file, would you be interested including it in your mod? It creates a soft-dependency on Contract Configurator (if the player doesn't have Contract Configurator installed, they simply won't get the contract).

Did anything come of this?

Did anything come of this?

Actually yes, I have the contracts sitting around here, it's in PakledHostage's hands now (probably got busy when the new baby came, I certainly know how that feels). If I don't hear from him on this thread in a week or so, I may just release it as a separate contract pack with Figaro as an optional dependency (since it's an interesting challenge even without using Figaro).

• 2 weeks later...

love the mod. ^^

Lunched my 24 satellite Gps grid last weekend in my remotech save.

It turned out great. ->

Some images from the tracking station from differet angles with and without the remotech connection lines. XD

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Launched the satellites 4 at the time on a carrier rocket into a 60º inclined waiting orbit

at 1 hour interval (60º of kerbins rotation), making it 6 launches.

The waiting orbits was a 45 minute orbit with a PE of 83845.85m and an AP of 450513.15m (roughly ;) ).

After launching all satellites into the waiting orbit I started releasing 1 satellite at the time at AP and circulized into a 1 hour circular orbit.

And deorbited the carrier rockets for a clean finnish.

Absolutely love the preplanning that can go into all the orbits and antenna ranges, line of sight, battery charge duration and solar recharge rates when.

when you combine this gps mod with remotech.

Tnx for this mod! <3

• 2 weeks later...
Actually yes, I have the contracts sitting around here, it's in PakledHostage's hands now (probably got busy when the new baby came, I certainly know how that feels). If I don't hear from him on this thread in a week or so, I may just release it as a separate contract pack with Figaro as an optional dependency (since it's an interesting challenge even without using Figaro).

Well, I'd say, go ahead if you have the time, because you are right: it's interesting even without using Figaro.

• 2 weeks later...

could this use a partmodule for the transmitter instead of part name?

or atleast part name choosable, allowing wildcard?

wanted to make the comms dishes from RT play the role of transmitters

but only 1 part can have said name ;/

edit: also can the partmodule have the variable for if receiver on/off be a field in cfg?

slightly annoying having receiver on everytime i launch a ship and see the window open

Edited by Scientist

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Do I understand correctly that the video in the topic start is outdated and that parts are now required?

Yes, i think so, although you can edit the receiver part .cfg and change the line "GNSSacronym = NONE" to anything other than "NONE".This will make crafts with that word in its name act as figaro GNSS satellites.

• 3 months later...
On 8/19/2015 at 9:04 PM, Camacha said:

Do I understand correctly that the video in the topic start is outdated and that parts are now required?

As Whizzkid said, only two small parts: a receiver part, and a transmitter part... Transmitter can be deleted if you make the .cfg change as above...

OR, there is also a pack of .cfgs, which Malah made that adds transmitter to all all pods (You can delete all but the Kerbal GPS .cfg if you dont want the others):

Malah's Stock Plugins

Also, has anyone tried this in 1.0.5 yet?... I suppose I'll have to give it a try soon...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/25/2016 at 9:52 PM, xaMP said:

Hey

I have attempt to compile the source against the new libs. It looks like it will work but i have no time to test it well.

Can anyone try the uploaded plugin if it will work corectly?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8ize072snc2wwh/KerbalGPS.zip?dl=0

The plugin works wonderfuly thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I'm using KerbalGPS with the package from xaMP in KSP 1.3.0 but however I haven't seen the dialog screen so far ingame (I do have the parts and full 'functional' GPS constellations with transmitters) and just now am also getting erros during startup of the game. It reads as:

Spoiler

[LOG 15:16:02.222] AssemblyLoader: Loading assemblies
[WRN 15:16:02.224] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'KerKonConConExt' has not met dependency 'KerbalKonstructs' V0.9
[WRN 15:16:02.225] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'KerKonConConExt' is missing 1 dependencies
[ERR 15:16:02.421] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KSPUtil, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 15:16:02.422] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KSPUtil, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 15:16:02.424] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'KerbalGPS': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'KerbalGPS' from assembly 'KerbalGPS, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'GPS_Calculations' from assembly 'KerbalGPS, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

[WRN 15:16:02.642] ADDON BINDER: Ingoring binding redirect due to incompatible versions: ToadicusTools, Version=0.22.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null => ToadicusTools, Version=0.22.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 15:16:02.644] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'TweakableDeployablePanels': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'TweakableEverything.ModuleTweakableDeployablePanel' from assembly 'TweakableDeployablePanels, Version=0.1.21.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

[LOG 15:16:02.714] VesselModules: Found VesselModule of type CommNetVessel with order 999
[LOG 15:16:02.717] VesselModules: Found VesselModule of type FlightIntegrator with order 0

Would there be any fix to both the dialog screen missing problem and the error log message? Thanks for any help in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

@Yorick1234 It looks like a few other mods are throwing errors as well, Id try to resolve those first, then try to get this mod going. Re: the dialog screen, I havent tried this mod out yet, but Ill have to give it a go on 1.3.1, it looks like it would play quite well with Commnet Constellation, and eventually RemoteTech 2.0 once development on that wraps up.

@xaMP Perhaps you should fork this with credit to the original author(s), it doesnt look like they have been around for a while...

Thank you for your answer. I am also using RemoteTech, but I will go into the other errors, as you mentioned. I am a big fan of KerbalGPS, and have used the mod in previous builds quite a lot, each of my vessels carrying a working receiver and would really like my GNSS network to work this time again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.