LLL - Lack Luster Labs - Development Thread

Lack

here's what I have for my Kerbal Interstellar Konflict series I'm building up. Almost all of this is your parts done with 4x2 size, (though I'm using my own engine and reactor configuration.)

http://imgur.com/a/P1prK#0

the crashed one was me not turning on the reactor to power the engines (my engines require that.) and it being to heavy for the launchpad unsupported. :P So farthings work great.

could you try making the parts stock compatible then releasing them? those engines i soooo like

could you try making the parts stock compatible then releasing them? those engines i soooo like

The engines are already in there as Ion engines. All I did was take the ion engines and the Kethane converter and make my own copy of them with different config. My engine will probably never be released, as it isn't balanced. Reactor creates full as long s it runs, but once it turns off. engine have maybe 1-2 secs of fuel before they go dry. Was my attempt at making scifi impulse engines from things LIke Star trek.

This is a more series attempt to make a carrier using the Hangars mod hanger set to the largest setting. It would blow up the ship and re-arrange it self for apparent reason, and as i found out, doesn't like having things on or near it. Still, despite that, I did manage to make it work. And yes this 1087 ton monstrosity can get into orbit on it's own. (please note the that ion engine on this has been altered by .cfg editing to fit with my impulse engines scheme)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The ball shaped object on the bottom is Parameciumkid's Jump drive. and this has 3 of BD armory's Laser turrets. The top portion is done in proper 2x1 proportions. this took me a while to build ( and not have explode) but it was kind of fun. :)

This is a more series attempt to make a carrier using the Hangars mod hanger set to the largest setting. It would blow up the ship and re-arrange it self for apparent reason, and as i found out, doesn't like having things on or near it. Still, despite that, I did manage to make it work. And yes this 1087 ton monstrosity can get into orbit on it's own. (please note the that ion engine on this has been altered by .cfg editing to fit with my impulse engines scheme)

http://imgur.com/a/nF8B9#0

The ball shaped object on the bottom is Parameciumkid's Jump drive. and this has 3 of BD armory's Laser turrets. The top portion is done in proper 2x1 proportions. this took me a while to build ( and not have explode) but it was kind of fun. :)

10/10 for the style and look of it (even though that bulbourous bit in the front is sticking out like a sore thumb :P

10/10 for it getting into orbit! wow!

and 20/20 for keeping with the ship and making it not blow up XD

nice build keep it up :D your giving me ideas :P

10/10 for the style and look of it (even though that bulbourous bit in the front is sticking out like a sore thumb :P

10/10 for it getting into orbit! wow!

and 20/20 for keeping with the ship and making it not blow up XD

nice build keep it up :D your giving me ideas :P

Thanks. Probably will make a version that doesn't have the hangar mod parts just so that I can have the original looks that I had in mind. Eventually I will have and entire fleet. I want to make a youtube series that is focused around large ships and BD armory weapons. Though some of the smaller patrol ships will be using the LLL weapons. They just look the part.

i get every time error after i start the game or load a save game ... but no normal error only "Loading" ...... for ever .... without ActiveTextureManagement the game crashat the start ... did i need another mod for LLL ? ... because the game crashes only with LLL ... vers 25 ... so its uptodate

sry for my english

Edited by SheppardX

Hey Lack would you consider a modification to the tail fuselage part? It's just a tad too long:

http://i.imgur.com/wvZ4Lqb.jpg

I had to move my horizontal stabilizers forward to get my CoL closer to the CoM - roughly the same distance I would gain if the X part of the tail were cut out. This way its just a tail part instead of a tail/partial fuselage. Those are your cargo holds I'm using too. Great pack.

Finally got around to re-downloading the pack and loading up the K-130 in 0.25. Saw the tail was offset and for a moment thought some part file config had gotten messed up until I remembered my request to make it shorter. Cheers, Lack! Looks great

There seem to be a large number of textures in the 18.6 release that have PNG extensions but are really TGA formatted files. I discovered this while troubleshooting Load on Demand crashes. I suspect they work with the base game because it doesn't rely on the extensions and examines the files to determine their format. Not sure if this is extension thing is intentional or an oversight.

Is there a version of SXT anywhere that has the textures included?
What do you mean? SXT uses stock textures only!
I think he wants just the textures that work here so he can use Ven's Stock Revamp.

Version 18.6 most certainly has texture files included in it. They aren't large and most have no detail (just color swatches) but they are in there. Look in GameData\SXT\Parts\Command\Ke111 for an example, there are 7 texture files.

Okay, so I finally got around to fixing the ring structure, just needed to set all the scale values for the 20+ parts from 0.8 to 1 and it seems to have worked. So here is a link to the fixed version of LLL and LLL Extra. All I did was make sure all parts that where reliant on squad parts where actually linking the proper part after squads rename of folders. Might have to do this on the next up date as well. I looked into the radial docking port, but I can see nothing I can do, so I commented out the part tag on the part so that it doesn't show up in game. (trust me, it will send what ever craft it is attached to off at near light speeds. after blowing up the dock) Here is the drop box for the files. I have not tested everyhting with tweak scale, and I know a few parts vanish that probably shouldn't.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o94cuqy0kqtw8rh/AACzr702Je863qUBGD7LcyWNa?dl=0

I am planning to go back and do a tweak scale and modular tank set up as soon as i figure it out, but don't hold your breath as I won't be working on it much, I just want to see if I can get the everything to scale properly as well as reducing the tanks down to minimal while being able to switch them to what you need, but I'm not sure what mod is allowing that, so, no promises.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to future updates, and continuing to use these wonderful parts in my creations, and thanks Lack for releasing the new parts, they are wonderful. :D

Version 18.6 most certainly has texture files included in it. They aren't large and most have no detail (just color swatches) but they are in there. Look in GameData\SXT\Parts\Command\Ke111 for an example, there are 7 texture files.

Some do, but many just reference Squad textures. Which is a great idea... if I weren't using one of the visual enhancement mods which alters/replaces those textures, causing a weird conflict that messes up the textures both for some of the SXT parts and some stock Squad parts.

Just to be clear, totally not saying this is a bug with SXT. My fault, for installing conflicting mods. I was just wondering if there existed a less streamlined, more redundant version.

You can use the patch in the OP of Ven's Stock Part Revamp, that will let you use this and Ven's together.

Thanks, but that's not the one I'm having a conflict with. It's the EVE Renaissance visuals pack (well, part of it) which tweaks the stock textures and causes some conflict apparently. It's not a huge deal, there were just a couple parts from SXT I love, but I also recognize that I'm a fringe case. (95% of the problems I have in Kerbal are due to too many/conflicting mods, ha ha)

There's not a dedicated one, but the SXT-Ven's Stock overhaul patch can be modified for other mods that play with stock-assets. If I recall correctly Nathan kindly included a spread-sheet of what's what. If you jot down the name of the parts affected you can open up their .cfg and note the texture's used. That'll tell you what needs to be used.

@passinglurker,

I was just using some re-sized firespitter parts, but yes. Some smaller landing gear (although I'm not very good at setting those up in Unity) are needed, and some smaller control surfaces.

@Gaiiden,

No problem, it was a good suggestion.

@Gristle,

Yeah, that was me being lazy and doing a quick fix for the .tga loader bug (at least worked for me). Seems KSP only cares about the extension for the place-holders, a blank text file called model000.png works fine as well. Dragon01's also contacted me about it (since apparently it doesn't like 1x1 textures either).

Best case would be an exception clause for LoD, which would mean I didn't need to unnecessarily increase file-size (although apparently KSP treats all textures as being at least 64x64, hence the experiments with just having blank files). But I'll keep it as a priority.

@Antimatter,

Sorry about that, I just uploaded the files and went straight to bed (better out there than sitting on my HDD). Don't get much time to myself now, only in the house to sleep or eat really. I spent all this money on a fancy rig and I only get to spend a few hours a week on it, and then I normally spend that catching up on whatever TV shows I'm trying to follow.

I streamlined things in LLL quite a bit and used fire-spitter to cut down on a number of individual parts (so try right-clicking on parts). I did things like disabling the 4x2 parts as well, hence I've left the older versions up.

The old parts can mainly be re-enabled by looking in the 'partdisabler' configs. Hopefully tweakscale plays nicely with FS now, but I haven't tested it yet.

@GregroxMun,

Yes, they need to be seperated, it's just confusing as it is. That and I'd be lying if I said seeing things written as LLL-SXT for SXT didn't grate just a little bit. If a mod doesn't split the threads up I'll try and make some time for it this week. I have some stuff for a new KSC++ that I'd like to make into a community project as well.

Lack

There's not a dedicated one, but the SXT-Ven's Stock overhaul patch can be modified for other mods that play with stock-assets. If I recall correctly Nathan kindly included a spread-sheet of what's what. If you jot down the name of the parts affected you can open up their .cfg and note the texture's used. That'll tell you what needs to be used.

@passinglurker,

I was just using some re-sized firespitter parts, but yes. Some smaller landing gear (although I'm not very good at setting those up in Unity) are needed, and some smaller control surfaces.

@Gaiiden,

No problem, it was a good suggestion.

@Gristle,

Yeah, that was me being lazy and doing a quick fix for the .tga loader bug (at least worked for me). Seems KSP only cares about the extension for the place-holders, a blank text file called model000.png works fine as well. Dragon01's also contacted me about it (since apparently it doesn't like 1x1 textures either).

Best case would be an exception clause for LoD, which would mean I didn't need to unnecessarily increase file-size (although apparently KSP treats all textures as being at least 64x64, hence the experiments with just having blank files). But I'll keep it as a priority.

@Antimatter,

Sorry about that, I just uploaded the files and went straight to bed (better out there than sitting on my HDD). Don't get much time to myself now, only in the house to sleep or eat really. I spent all this money on a fancy rig and I only get to spend a few hours a week on it, and then I normally spend that catching up on whatever TV shows I'm trying to follow.

I streamlined things in LLL quite a bit and used fire-spitter to cut down on a number of individual parts (so try right-clicking on parts). I did things like disabling the 4x2 parts as well, hence I've left the older versions up.

The old parts can mainly be re-enabled by looking in the 'partdisabler' configs. Hopefully tweakscale plays nicely with FS now, but I haven't tested it yet.

@GregroxMun,

Yes, they need to be seperated, it's just confusing as it is. That and I'd be lying if I said seeing things written as LLL-SXT for SXT didn't grate just a little bit. If a mod doesn't split the threads up I'll try and make some time for it this week. I have some stuff for a new KSC++ that I'd like to make into a community project as well.

Lack

Sounds good, Did you fix the parts with squad extensions? If not, I can quickly fix those tonight. I finally uploaded the files. I really like the sounds of using firespitter to streamline the parts. Was going to mess with those myself. SHould post more pictures of my up and coming fleet. Made some really cool landers while playing through carrer, though I really need to nerf down the science gain as I'm almost finished with the tech tree with one visit to the mUn and Minmus. That or stop using outsourced R&D.

Can't wait to get home to try these out.

I've been looking at the pictures of ships in the posts above and they gave me some ideas of a ship to make. I ended up making a vtol to transport kerbals. It has a number of LLL turbo jets on the sides pointing down. Most of the hull is made using the 2x1 lowering cargo bay (I'm a huge fan of this particular part) and for landing gear, it has some skids. I love the parts from the Lack Luster Labs mod. They are very well designed and help me make ships I have wanted to make for a long time but have never had the parts to do so. I will try to post an image of it soon. And again, great mod!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.