LLL - Lack Luster Labs - Development Thread

Lack

That's because the primary node is the one mounted on the side (although I've just checked and it's not immediately obvious in the SPH, I may tweak it in the future), you can mount things on the end after that. KSP isn't great at handling nodes (see things like 6-way structural hub).

I don't suppose you could cut the 3m and 5m engines off their fuel tanks? It's edging a little too close to a canned spacecraft for my taste.

That's because they are. They're stages for the Saturn V, not for the rest of the pack.

Anyway,

Made a wing:

duESLc8.png

(Just the main one, the smaller ones at the back are Taverio's Pizza&Aerospace)

That's because they are. They're stages for the Saturn V, not for the rest of the pack.

Perhaps you can slowly integrate that size into the main pack at your leisure, in which case you can then make it not a canned spacecraft. After all, stuff like this is coming

Anyway,

Made a wing:

http://i.imgur.com/duESLc8.png

(Just the main one, the smaller ones at the back are Taverio's Pizza&Aerospace)

Perhaps you can slowly integrate that size into the main pack at your leisure, in which case you can then make it not a canned spacecraft. After all, stuff like this is coming

Anyway,

Those are beautiful, very Cessna-like, though the huge stock control surfaces on it are just meh,

I suspect I probably will end up doing that. I believe it's just the 3.75m parts that are coming to stock not 5m, hence those parts are to stay with the main DL (The only 3.75m part with an attached engine is the third stage section of the SV, although I think I called it the JoolV in the part description. Whatever, same difference. There's a similarly sized fuel tank without it anyway.)

I'll be taking a shot at some smaller CSs as well.

Edit:

Actually, playing around with it, I may change my mind sooner rather than later.

It's easy enough for people to separate the 5m engine set from the smaller 5m tank anyway (It's essentially just the Skipper x5). They're separate models within the config.

Edit2:

And a heavy duty RCS port.

Wrh52SN.png

Edit3:

Having a go at separating the engines out. Easier said than done as it f's up the separating stages, especially if you try to add fairings.

Edit4:

Can't even get them to load into the game now.

Edited by Lack

Can you please add a cfg for the part rescales in the pics.

And speaking of rescales, what about 3 meter cargo bays?

Erm, which images?

Edit:

Splitting up the parts is finally making some progress. Although, it's turning out to be less a few minutes work and more quite a few hours work (mainly sitting with a calculator and pencil, a tonne of backtracking and having to rebuild half of the damn thing in blender).

Edit2:

Right, managed to get it split up. Problems, the upperstage engine's icon is fubar, and I have two 3.5m tanks of almost identical size. The extra parts also seems to mean extra drag, making it harder to get into orbit. But that's not really a bad thing.

3QqLONt.png

Edit3:

Right. That's all properly split up, had to resize a few things to keep the sizings standardised (so the third stage of the Saturn V is about a tenth too long), I also expect this next update break existing saves if you're using the 3.75m and/or Saturn V parts. Also re-did the stage 3 engine and added a new part or two. Still got to do the tech-tree integration, but that shouldn't take too long.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Lack

Erm, which images?

Edit:

Splitting up the parts is finally making some progress. Although, it's turning out to be less a few minutes work and more quite a few hours work (mainly sitting with a calculator and pencil, a tonne of backtracking and having to rebuild half of the damn thing in blender).

Edit2:

Right, managed to get it split up. Problems, the upperstage engine's icon is fubar, and I have two 3.5m tanks of almost identical size. The extra parts also seems to mean extra drag, making it harder to get into orbit. But that's not really a bad thing.

http://i.imgur.com/3QqLONt.png

Edit3:

Right. That's all properly split up, had to resize a few things to keep the sizings standardised (so the third stage of the Saturn V is about a tenth too long), I also expect this next update break existing saves if you're using the 3.75m and/or Saturn V parts. Also re-did the stage 3 engine and added a new part or two. Still got to do the tech-tree integration, but that shouldn't take too long.

http://imgur.com/a/8J66P

Lack geez dude i know your the most responsive person i know when it comes to Mods and their authors (problem solving and such) but don't you think you need to take a lil bit of a break? ^.^" i don't think any of us wants t over work you... that much...

Lack, I might have some modified configs for you soon. I'm recalculating the volumes of your ladder tanks and service modules to better reflect what they appear to hold. Some things might be getting a buff. Also, I was considering adding some fuel and more monoprop to the large service module.

Lemme know if you wanna take a look at them before the next update.

Hey, do you know where I can get the RT patch for this mod? I can't manage to find it again. This is an elegant mod, and although impractical at times, I look forward to using in on my station and long term ships (if I can find a spot to hide my life support modules).

Lack, I might have some modified configs for you soon. I'm recalculating the volumes of your ladder tanks and service modules to better reflect what they appear to hold. Some things might be getting a buff. Also, I was considering adding some fuel and more monoprop to the large service module.

Lemme know if you wanna take a look at them before the next update.

Aye, that'd be grand, send them over. Haven't done all that much in the way of balancing parts yet, the non-fuel values for the service modules were selected fairly randomly.

@Storywalker,

That for LLL? There should be one in the DL at least in LLL-Full (best dump it in the RT2 folder though), failing that there's some links on supported mods in the OP. For SXT, I believe I've already added in an RT2 support for the probe core.

@SSSPutnik,

Feram's right on that one, LLL parts are essentially flying bricks. I also haven't done a very good job with the node sizes either as I didn't know they were used in FAR's calculations at the time. I'll have to go through and fix that at some point.

@AntiMatter,

Nah, don't worry about it. I like having something to do and this keeps me nicely occupied when I'm not at work.

Aye, that'd be grand, send them over. Haven't done all that much in the way of balancing parts yet, the non-fuel values for the service modules were selected fairly randomly.

-snip-

@SSSPutnik,

Feram's right on that one, LLL parts are essentially flying bricks. I also haven't done a very good job with the node sizes either as I didn't know they were used in FAR's calculations at the time. I'll have to go through and fix that at some point.

Will do.

The node system of FAR assumes roughly circular faces. In other words, I'm reasonably sure the design style of LLL is completely incompatible with FAR, regardless of whatever efforts you put into it. Then again, LLL is meant mainly for awesome rovers, bases, IP ships, and some rockets. Planes are kinda low on that list (read: bottom)

Just posted this query in Addon Support. Unsure if FAR or LLL issue?

I'd suggest not to use LLL "brick" parts with FAR while in atmospheres influence. The parts are really some kind of futuristic design and I don't think they are really aerodynamic in any means. If you'd like the crafts done with LLL parts being launched into space there are at least 2 ways:

1. Fit the craft into a proper fairing (Procedural Fairings do it like a charm)

2. Use a mod like Extraplanetary Launchpads and construct your vessel in orbit (or on airless low gravity celestial bodies).

Well, or wait for a mod that negates "laws of gravity" (say, gravity hack) and allows you to fly futuristic style (any direction, UFO-like).

@Captain Sierra

Planes are kinda low on that list (read: bottom)

You can just use them like space gliders (without atmosphere action, of course)

I'd suggest not to use LLL "brick" parts with FAR while in atmospheres influence. The parts are really some kind of futuristic design and I don't think they are really aerodynamic in any means. If you'd like the crafts done with LLL parts being launched into space there are at least 2 ways:

1. Fit the craft into a proper fairing (Procedural Fairings do it like a charm)

2. Use a mod like Extraplanetary Launchpads and construct your vessel in orbit (or on airless low gravity celestial bodies).

Well, or wait for a mod that negates "laws of gravity" (say, gravity hack) and allows you to fly futuristic style (any direction, UFO-like).

@Captain Sierra

You can just use them like space gliders (without atmosphere action, of course)

or you can go to the "cheats" page on Alt + F12 and check "hack gravity"

I like to request a part, if it wouldn't be too much trouble. I'm interested in a 2.5m inline crew cabin, holding one or two Kerbals, much like the large lander can but without the taper and protruding window, or like the panopticon but with the windows. I really like your stock-alike Service Module part and I think it'd be a great addition to your parts pack to have a similar crew can for interplanetary craft.

Lack, I have to say that your mod inspires me to be creative. Heres some photos of my "Spirit of Keil I" and "Spirit of Keil II" [WIP] mini-bases. My question to you has to do with the last two photos though. During parts testing I noticed that the landing legs tend to sink into the ground while the drop pod's base does not, and it causes structures like this to rock when on planetary surfaces. Is there a quick fix for this that I can implement, or is this an issue with the colliders?

Photos :D

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by sharpspoonful
Sorry for the potato image quality, but I have to run things at lower quality so I can have all the mods I like.

Lack, I have to say that your mod inspires me to be creative. Heres some photos of my "Spirit of Keil I" and "Spirit of Keil II" [WIP] mini-bases. My question to you has to do with the last two photos though. During parts testing I noticed that the landing legs tend to sink into the ground while the drop pod's base does not, and it causes structures like this to rock when on planetary surfaces. Is there a quick fix for this that I can implement, or is this an issue with the colliders?

*Boop*

It's probably the colliders...

I'm gonna try and replace the module Lack uses with a tweakable one through my "optional config" when I get the chance...

It won't fix colliders but would allow you to toggle ramps in editors...

I like to request a part, if it wouldn't be too much trouble. I'm interested in a 2.5m inline crew cabin, holding one or two Kerbals, much like the large lander can but without the taper and protruding window, or like the panopticon but with the windows. I really like your stock-alike Service Module part and I think it'd be a great addition to your parts pack to have a similar crew can for interplanetary craft.

I'd second this request. Alternatively, a hitchhiker or half-hitchhiker type can styled like the science lab would also be good as far a I'm concerned.

This makes me wish Lack would make his own ant class / type of rover. :)

Checked the colliders for the drop-ramp legs, seems the lowest one wasn't wide enough and so wasn't colliding properly with the ground.

This should fix it. I also added a 1x1 probe that I made yesterday.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/LLL-Patch-25FEB14.zip

F4j9bsT.jpg

4Ng6jnW.jpg

@bazz,

Well, there is the Ladybird, that's pretty small. I have great fun driving that round the mun.

ivsfoHq.jpg

And a little bit more from messing around yesterday.

7sKpEFK.png?1

Hehe

yYwneHG.png

And the next update shouldn't break peoples saves now, found a work around that works nicely.

@regex,

Yep, a smaller crew cabin shouldn't be a problem. I'd be considering one before but got side-tracked.

Edited by Lack

Lack, you are the man! Kudos!

I really enjoy the visual looks of your modules. Sure, they need additional tuning (adding necessary module features, etc.), but they are really nice.

HOWEVER

'LLL/Parts/Command/NoseProbe/part/LLL1x1NoseProbe'

[ERR 22:54:47.558] PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture as cannot find texture 'model001' to replace

and

ArgumentException: The requested value 'Command' was not found.

Edited by Horus

HOWEVER

'LLL/Parts/Command/NoseProbe/part/LLL1x1NoseProbe'

[ERR 22:54:47.558] PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture as cannot find texture 'model001' to replace

and

ArgumentException: The requested value 'Command' was not found.

I think I see what I've done. Give me 5 minutes.

Also,

For the crew-cabin.

Something along these lines?

KkzOQFN.png

Edited by Lack

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.