Large radio antenna / interferometer array

Temstar

So I was looking at the dish on top of the tracking station one day and I suddenly though "that's not big enough!" After many a frustrating attempt at building a bigger dish in the VAB I gave up on the idea. But then an idea occurred to me: if James Webb Space Telescope could have a huge main mirror by using segments, why can't I build a huge synthetic aperture radar / interferometer array out of individual dishes?

The result was this prototype:

33o05zr.jpg

2q3duhc.jpg

Looks pretty cool. I'm considering setting up an off world base (to avoid all that radio pollution of Kerbin) to construct an array. I have two questions:

1. I could either construct the array in space or on the surface or Mun/Minmus. If it's an orbital facility the array would be relatively easy to aim by moving the whole ship, but an surface base with a radar array has a certain... S.H.I.E.L.D. feel to it. Where would you build this array?

2. If the array is to to built on one of the moons, what would be the best way to build the ability to train (ie, tilt) the dishes into each unit? I've seen people build train like rovers with flexible joints between the train cars, how is that done?

Also, I'm interested in seeing what everyone else has come up with for dish design.

That is a pretty cool project you have going here, thanks for sharing it. Makes me want to try something similar ... hmm my mind is now swimming in ideas lol. And for your questions, the first I would say build it in one of the craters on the mun. Perhaps one near a mun arch, I think that would be pretty nice looking. Unfortunately I have nothing to add on the second question as I've never built something like that so good luck in that regard. And of course hope you keep us posted on where you end up building.

I might have a nice solution to question #2: Damned Robotics.

Equip all your sub assemblies with a DR rotator and hinge and dock them all together. If you set things up right you can all rotate and tilt them together.

This was my OLTA, Obscenely Large Telescope Array back in .18

screenshot4.png

Mountaintop makes more sense than a crater. Better LoS.

true, but I just like the idea of a small crater full of those antenna arrays as it would look interesting.

And Tex_NL ... wow thats a big dish. how in the world did you launch that thing.

I'd suggest the far side of the Mun for your array.

That solid (well....) object should keep pesky keribin radio waves away from your dishes. Plus, it's tidally locked, giving you longer to collect signals.

Maybe moving it away from the space centre would be a good idea. It'd lesson lag at launch, and debris hitting dishes is probably bad.

I may have to set up something something like this myself, once Mun Base One is finished, my first satellite network work is complete, my interplanetary missions have visited all their planned sites are are on the way home...

Uni project due in six hours? Oh yeah. Better get on to that....

Your approach remind me of the Square Kilometer Array, which being a fellow Aussie, I suspect you may have heard about.

I don't know about joining things together, but maybe you could build a bunch on a flat frame and land it on the Mun in one piece?

You'll need a wide launch vehicle, but I got a big crane thing there that way:

VOm2Tgs.png

Edited by Tw1

If you're using cooperating dishes like that, the farther apart they are the better the resolution will be. I get the impression you already know that, so why are you trying to keep the dishes together at all? Put a pair in antipodal orbits just within Kerbin's SOI, and you've got an effective antenna the size of a planet. :D

I might have a nice solution to question #2: Damned Robotics.

Equip all your sub assemblies with a DR rotator and hinge and dock them all together. If you set things up right you can all rotate and tilt them together.

This was my OLTA, Obscenely Large Telescope Array back in .18

screenshot4.png

How did you launch that into orbit?! :0.0:

Believe it or not but that monstrosity went up in one single piece:

screenshot3.png

This is what I meant earlier by using Damned Robotics and docking them all together.

I used 2 slightly different versions; Dish A and Dish B. Dish B has it's dish and robotics rotated 90 deg so all dishes stay perfectly aligned.

screenshot55.png

screenshot56.png

P.S.

This idea actually gave me a reason to go back to my Mun Arch Station on the dark side of Mun. There are a few brave Kerbals there I haven't seen in a long time.

Edited by Tex_NL

It would be nice if either Remotetech or eventually KSP's native radio communication system would allow for advanced radio tech such as antenna arrays.

It would require separation of transmitter- and antenna functionality (and parts), and hopefully incorporate the inverse-square law as applicable to E/M waves.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.