Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

How about that, your message popped up just as I was thinking of you! :) Anyway, without further ado...

http://imgur.com/a/APLpS#0

Craft 1:

Good solid design, nicely put together. The only minor quibbles I have is about the weight of some of the components you chose. The Advanced SAS is heavier then the standard version without any extra benefits. Likewise I'd be inclined to switch the big docking ports for the junior version.

Craft 2:

An attack VTOL eh? :cool: Wow, I'm not sure what to make of this one, it's a cool concept but I think you'll be losing a lot of efficiency having the engines mounted at angles like that though. I do like it though!

Craft 3:

A good no nonsense design. Personally I'd be inclined to mount the rocket fuel tanks closest to the fuselage elsewhere and bring the jet fuel tanks/engines closer in. The same with the SAS units the closer you can put them to the center of the mass the better. If you can do this you'll get better handling as I imagine this design has a really strong rate of pitch but a poor rate of roll/yaw, again I'd lose the shielded docking ports if you can.

Anyway, I hope this helps and keep on building, you're coming up with some great designs there. :wink:

Cupcake...

Thank you for the feedback! I will be going through and improving today. I couldn't get captions on because my computer crashes when I try to edit captions for some reason :confused:. Anyway, the third craft is designed to be an SSTO station core, hence the broad placement of things, to allow for space for dock-able modules, though now that you said that, it would make more sense to move the engines farther down the cross bar. Thanks again!

EDIT: Ok, fixed 'em up, new album :D. Thank you again, they work a lot better now.

http://imgur.com/a/VJZaV#0

Edited by Darthzeus

They are indeed Cupcake!! Cool vid as usual too. :D

@Darnok,

I don't think he used the dual control mod but its possible. What he did was set one craft on a set course then switch to the other and catch up with the first and match its speed and heading.

It can be very tricky but Cupcake makes it look so easy!

MJ

Thanks for answer, I have one more question any good software to make kerbal vids under linux? I have zero experience with vids, so something simple and not too much laggy would be great.

Wow that lander is amazing :)

Who do you control two of them at same time?

They are indeed Cupcake!! Cool vid as usual too. :D

@Darnok,

I don't think he used the dual control mod but its possible. What he did was set one craft on a set course then switch to the other and catch up with the first and match its speed and heading.

It can be very tricky but Cupcake makes it look so easy!

MJ

You give me too much credit! It's actually Mechjeb flying the lead vessel, I thought I'd better put someone in charge that knew what they were doing! :wink:

Thanks for answer, I have one more question any good software to make kerbal vids under linux? I have zero experience with vids, so something simple and not too much laggy would be great.

Sorry I'm a Windows man myself, you could try this perhaps?

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/glc.html

Yeah, I decided to quit marring your thread over here and just give up and post my junk on a new one :rolleyes:.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/85032-Darth-s-VTOL-junkyard?p=1249359#post1249359

Sweet, I'll come by and check it out later. :D

Cupcake...

Cupcake, how do you think of designs for the VTOLs?

I've tried making one, but it ended up looking just like your Equinox.

Difficult to say! I've made a lot of craft that for whatever reason just didn't come together and never got released. However there are always bits of these failed craft that go into more succesfull designs. I guess a lot of the time it's about evolution as well. The Equinox for instance evolved from the Magpie and Barracuda SSTOs that came before it.

Likewise the Banshee series of attack VTOLs has led on to the Spectre.

In short whatever you do there's always room to improve it. Sorry I couldn't give you a clearer answer but it's always tricky putting the process of creativity into words while not sounding like a tit. :P

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

I stole your little skipper engine inside a basic engine idea. Made this possible.

nM7A5VW.png

It really is genius. The lag between throttle and thrust on air breathing engines is just too much. It's nice to have a little imediate burst when you need it. Really smart idea dude

Edited by clown_baby

I stole your little skipper engine inside a basic engine idea. Made this possible.

nM7A5VW.png

It really is genius. The lag between throttle and thrust on air breathing engines is just too much. It's nice to have a little imediate burst when you need it. Really smart idea dude

Nice landing! :) To be honest I don't know how people land VTOLs using Jets alone, it's just a nightmare. :P

Cupcake...

Nice landing! :) To be honest I don't know how people land VTOLs using Jets alone, it's just a nightmare. :P

Cupcake...

With a tea spoon of patience, a cup of explosion and a pinch of quicksave ;)

Edited by kepicness

With a tea spoon of patience, a cup of explosion and a pinch of quicksave ;)

Eeep! :sealed:

Anyway, guys just having a play around with .24. Due to the new part mass for the reaction wheels it looks like the Spectre, Tadpole, Scarab, Olympian, Banshee and possibly Carpathia will need re-balancing. I'll get round to this as soon as I can but it's gonna take a fair bit of work. :( The Scythe Mk4, Moth and Pixie should be unaffected by the new changes.

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Cupcake...

What do you mean by nightmare? All I hear around me when I land is the sound of FUN!

Rune. The frequent sound of FUN.

Awesome!!!

I'm the kind of person who generally hates boring spacecraft posts that are like ads, but this is awesome!

You gave me great designing ideas, and missile-making ones! I loved the Banshee mk3!

(To myself):

These type of spacecraft designs are "the ones!"

Crafts like these will be perfect!

(I've been searching, experimenting, and testing crafts, trying to find a great design to build crafts out of that are great/awesome, like Jeb).

You earned a 5-star rating and a subscription! :D

What do you mean by nightmare? All I hear around me when I land is the sound of FUN!

Rune. The frequent sound of FUN.

Landing x Explosions = Fun2?

Awesome!!!

I'm the kind of person who generally hates boring spacecraft posts that are like ads' date=' but this is awesome!

You gave me great designing ideas, and missile-making ones! I loved the Banshee mk3!

(To myself):

These type of spacecraft designs are "the ones!"

Crafts like these will be perfect!

(I've been searching, experimenting, and testing crafts, trying to find a great design to build crafts out of that are great/awesome, like Jeb).

You earned a 5-star rating and a subscription! :D[/quote']

That's great to hear thankyou! I'm going to try and upload a new video of the Warith in action this weekend. It's a bit like the Banshee but a lot lighter, better balanced and capable of much longer ranges. Hope you enjoy it. :)

Cupcake...

n09hMNo.jpg

Edited by Cupcake...

I just saw your Equinox MkII vid. I feel kinda odd in that I managed to scrounge together something similar a couple months ago, but couldn't get anything done with it because I couldn't get the fuel to feed correctly. :)

I feel your pain. :( Most of the time I find the fuel feeding comes together pretty quickly but sometimes fuel gets pumped in all sorts of strange directions. :P

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

I managed to develop a simple VTOL like yours' date=' CupCake.

Could you develop more missiles too? Why not?[/quote']

Do show! You can put some pics of your design here if you like. :) Oh and what sort of missiles were you after? I've got two lots at the moment, one for combat on Kerbin...

...and one for low g combat.

Yeah... let alone those who perform perfect sky-craning by just thrust vectoring.

O_O

I think I had too much coffee that day. :wink:

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.