Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

Your certification sticker with complimentary air freshener is in the post. :wink: Well done on getting to the Jool system, how you finding it there? Oh and what's that mod you're using for the far drop tanks? They look great. :)

Cupcake...

Jool.. oh I've been there many times :P This ship is currently at Laythe. Landed on everything up to it + a planetfactory planet called Ablate. This lander did Tylo too. was easier than I thought it'd be.

The droptanks on the lander are actually Xenon tanks from the Near Future pack. They're basically the fuel for the drive stage I used to cart the lander across the solar system. The drive stage towing the lander has about 25k m/s (almost all of which is necessary for Ablate, which lies well within the orbit of Moho). The lander is designed to take the fuel modules from the drive stage, and refuel them from a planet's surface.

The tanks to the inside of the round ones on the lander are the Oomph pods which normally stay docked to the drive stage because the lander has a decent amount of delta v without them. But in the picture I posted before, I had just come to Pol from Tylo so everything was running a bit empty.

CNPzyly.jpg

qTIXpgU.jpg

Edited by Immashift

Jool.. oh I've been there many times :P This ship is currently at Laythe. Landed on everything up to it + a planetfactory planet called Ablate. This lander did Tylo too. was easier than I thought it'd be.

The droptanks on the lander are actually Xenon tanks from the Near Future pack. They're basically the fuel for the drive stage I used to cart the lander across the solar system. The drive stage towing the lander has about 25k m/s. The lander is designed to take the fuel modules from the drive stage, and refuel them from a planet's surface.

http://i.imgur.com/CNPzyly.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qTIXpgU.jpg

Wow, that's a really impressive mothership, well done! I guess with 25k M/S you almost want to take a trip to the next star system. (if and when etc...) :)

In other news...

g5JOBl9.jpg

The Wraith Model R or repeater edition has been added to the archive. This model trades stopping power and accuracy for more fun... Sorry, I mean more rounds. It comes loaded with 40 standard missiles that hit true at a range of 100m. The instant action missions have also been updated giving you the chance to use this version. Enjoy! :wink:

CRAFT FILE

http://goo.gl/QHKH9Y

Cupcake...

Wow, that's a really impressive mothership, well done! I guess with 25k M/S you almost want to take a trip to the next star system. (if and when etc...) :)

In other news...

The Wraith Model R or repeater edition has been added to the archive. This model trades stopping power and accuracy for more fun... Sorry, I mean more rounds. It comes loaded with 40 standard missiles that hit true at a range of 100m. The instant action missions have also been updated giving you the chance to use this version. Enjoy! :wink:

Cupcake...

I believe that one was in one of your videos if I'm not mistaken. You know I hope you plan on eventually doing something like your Jool Adventure series again. Full stock all the jool moons in one go was definitely impressive. Perhaps Eeloo or Moho? :D

So I've got this small issue... I'm attempting to design a dropship style lander for a planet that requires approximately 15k m/s from /to orbit. I'm trying to get that without dropping stages. No droptanks, nada.

Naturally I just went bigger. Bigger tanks, engines, everything.

The problem I'm running into is that on things like orange tanks, as the fuel drains, the craft becomes extremely unbalanced and just progresses till you smash into the ground. On small landers my solution is to simply overpower that with SAS modules. Thing is the big ones don't scale too well and just can't keep up. I guess the only solution is to have symmetrically draining tanks, but I was wondering if there were any tricks you know of to stop that balancing issue on large VTOLs.

I believe that one was in one of your videos if I'm not mistaken. You know I hope you plan on eventually doing something like your Jool Adventure series again. Full stock all the jool moons in one go was definitely impressive. Perhaps Eeloo or Moho? :D

So I've got this small issue... I'm attempting to design a dropship style lander for a planet that requires approximately 15k m/s from /to orbit. I'm trying to get that without dropping stages. No droptanks, nada.

Naturally I just went bigger. Bigger tanks, engines, everything.

The problem I'm running into is that on things like orange tanks, as the fuel drains, the craft becomes extremely unbalanced and just progresses till you smash into the ground. On small landers my solution is to simply overpower that with SAS modules. Thing is the big ones don't scale too well and just can't keep up. I guess the only solution is to have symmetrically draining tanks, but I was wondering if there were any tricks you know of to stop that balancing issue on large VTOLs.

I think you'll just have to make sure the craft is properly balanced and the fuel routing is correct. I don't think there's anyway round it, sorry. :(

Cupcake...

Hey man. Do you ever get kracken attacks from the cockpit being clipped inside the mk2 adapter? Especially on those long trips you take?

No I don't. I've used that configuration on the Scythe, Banshee 2/3 and Wraith and it's always worked fine. How are you clipping it in? Also what's the root part of your build?

Cupcake...

No I don't. I've used that configuration on the Scythe, Banshee 2/3 and Wraith and it's always worked fine. How are you clipping it in? Also what's the root part of your build?

Cupcake...

I haven't had any problems either. It was brought up on reddit when I posted my fighter jets. People hate clipping, and I don't get why. I didn't use the "allow part clipping" feature from the cheat menu.

But then someone suggested that is messes with the physics of the game and invites kracken attacks. I guess thats reasonable but I've never had any problems. Granted my fighters are only in the air for a relatively short amount of time. So I was just wondering if you noticed anything

I haven't had any problems either. It was brought up on reddit when I posted my fighter jets. People hate clipping, and I don't get why. I didn't use the "allow part clipping" feature from the cheat menu.

But then someone suggested that is messes with the physics of the game and invites kracken attacks. I guess thats reasonable but I've never had any problems. Granted my fighters are only in the air for a relatively short amount of time. So I was just wondering if you noticed anything

Some people seem to be quite grumpy on Reddit, I've never worked out why. :( As for clipping it just lets you make way cooler looking designs then you'd otherwise be able to do. Remember, no clippy no pretty. :)

Cupcake...

Some people seem to be quite grumpy on Reddit, I've never worked out why. :( As for clipping it just lets you make way cooler looking designs then you'd otherwise be able to do. Remember, no clippy no pretty. :)

Cupcake...

Haha big time. Clipping just allows things to be smooth and pretty, which is all I want

• 2 weeks later...
It was only like 12 fps, so only 7-8 hours. No biggie.

Also, I can't help noticing that a lot of your videos get copyright claimed. I don't want to change the way that you operate, but I might have to write up one or two songs for your channel.

8 hours! Yes biggie. :) I guess animation is often a slow and tedius process, at least it is when I do it anyway. :P As to the music you're right, I have been using quite a few tracks I shouldn't have. I'm trying to slowly wean myself off copyrighted content, I'm sure there's a lot of great free stuff out there I've just been too lazy to look lately. :blush:

I think the .25 update is gonna be a lot of work

What makes you say that? Are there mass changes? Or do you think the SP parts will break all the old designs? ;.;

Cupcake...

Okay, I'll give you a head start:

Kevin Leod will give you basically anything you need for free, but it won't always be very in depth. incompetech.com

Doctor Vox does some amazing royalty free stuff, but he has a system where you have to like his facebook page to download most stuff. https://soundcloud.com/doctor-vox/sets/free-tracks-for-twitch

What makes you say that? Are there mass changes? Or do you think the SP parts will break all the old designs? ;.;

Cupcake...

Just the updates to old parts. This guy is gonna ruin my beautifully clipped cockpits.

AkUG1EN.jpg

I don't know if they updated the one you used though, the Banshee & Scythe might be alright

Edited by clown_baby

I love that SP+ is being added to stock, but I have a feeling that 0.25 is going to be one of those updates that breaks everything you wonderful designers have built so far...

I predict that the Tadpole will still live on tho! :D

Okay, I'll give you a head start:

Kevin Leod will give you basically anything you need for free, but it won't always be very in depth. incompetech.com

Doctor Vox does some amazing royalty free stuff, but he has a system where you have to like his facebook page to download most stuff. https://soundcloud.com/doctor-vox/sets/free-tracks-for-twitch

Thanks for that, I apreciate it. I'll check them out this weekend. :)

Just the updates to old parts. This guy is gonna ruin my beautifully clipped cockpits.

http://i.imgur.com/AkUG1EN.jpg

I don't know if they updated the one you used though, the Banshee & Scythe might be alright

I hope so. The Scythe's been with me for over a year now, I'll be very sad if it goes. ;.; I must say I'm really looking forward to this update but I'm a little nervous too. Oh well, we'll see how it goes I guess. :P

I love that SP+ is being added to stock, but I have a feeling that 0.25 is going to be one of those updates that breaks everything you wonderful designers have built so far...

I predict that the Tadpole will still live on tho! :D

I think you could be right, that craft is nothing if not resiliant. :wink:

Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.