Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

Ok, I'm a slacker, totally missed that you had released two new designs! I'll have to give them a spin tonight, if I get time after rescuing some kerbals in need. They look great as always, though! Just a quick question... Are you planning on making any dedicated multi-crew dropships? I know you've got the Queen Bee, but it's been pulled for a refit. Any chance of any purpose built two or three seaters, though? I just figured it'd get lonely on the long trip out to Jool, and you might need someone to chat with. And to lift the big heavy rovers off the dropship so you don't have to break a sweat. :)

BTW, I updated my mission log tonight, and one of your craft made an appearance. I had fun with it, but it didn't end too well. :(

Hey there,

I didn't have any plans to do multi crew vessels and I'm afraid the Queen Bee's been retired for good. :( The next ship due to roll of the line is a new version of the Equinox, I can try and look into it after that if you've got the patience.

mDuwpCX.jpg

BTW I really enjoyed reading about your mission it was very nicely done (despite the landing). You may want to have a play around with the Tadpole as well, unless I've got cargo to take down it's very much my lander of choice. :wink:

Those VTOLS... wow. That's the difference between ships done by an engineer (me) and an artist. :)

You're making me blush! :blush:

Cupcake...

No worries man! I was just curious about being able to send off multiple kerbals somewhere. I've strapped on crew containers to some designs before, but they don't look all that elegant. Shame about the Queen Bee though, I guess it was just too much work keeping all the water in the hot tub in zero-G.

As far as my story goes, hopefully they'll learn to redesign it, and you'll see advanced designs like the equinox and stuff. That is, if Jeb survives to help tell the boffins how it was designed. So far he hasn't woke up from the crash.

No worries man! I was just curious about being able to send off multiple kerbals somewhere. I've strapped on crew containers to some designs before, but they don't look all that elegant. Shame about the Queen Bee though, I guess it was just too much work keeping all the water in the hot tub in zero-G.

As far as my story goes, hopefully they'll learn to redesign it, and you'll see advanced designs like the equinox and stuff. That is, if Jeb survives to help tell the boffins how it was designed. So far he hasn't woke up from the crash.

I'll wish your Jeb a speedy recovery and hopefully by the time he's better the new version of the Equinox will be released. :)

Cupcake...

Cupcake... I challenge thee to make a drop ship capable of surviving deadly reentry!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought deadly reentry was more about your reentry profile then the design itself? :P

Oh no. Cupcake... you have 666 posts...

On a note related to the thread, the new attack VTOL looks great with its cockpit placement. Perhaps you should use that on more crafts! :P

Eek, I'd better make it 667 before something bad happens! Glad you like the look of the Spectre, I don't know what other craft I can use that configuration on sadly. :(

Cupcake...

Deadly Reentry can cause problems even outside of atmosphere. It messes with the explosiveness/stability of parts.

Sounds risky, I think I'll give it a miss. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Cupcake, please create a small escape pod for orbital and atmospheric ships. Please, I need one, because using my super safe truck as a escape pod is awkward.

It's not really an escape pod but I was thinking of resurrecting one of my old designs and making it a pure ion powered craft. It will probably serve well as an escape pod too. I think... :P

I've been watching your videos. I like your unique VTOL craft. You should totally join this thread: Gentleman's Naval Battle Club

Thanks for thinking of me although I prefer flying real time combat missions rather then turn based stuff. Sorry. :(

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

You sir, just gave me a megadose of inspiration..... :)

Cheers! :D

Okay that's ingenious. Though how breakable are the gigantors as landing legs?

As long as you land with a wee bit of care they're fine. The ships designed to operate on moons such as Minmus and Gilly so there's really no excuse for rough landings! :)

Looks as those will be another in your line of "Black series" VTOL's. I may give them a try too.

I must say I'm getting quite attached to this new design, I've decided to call them Moths for, you know... Obvious reasons. They pack about 6000m/s of Delta V but are still light enough for two of them to be lifted into orbit with a single turbo jet. Not too shabby. :wink:

sl62n2i.jpg

Yeah, sorry for the delay.

http://imgur.com/a/APLpS#0

Not much, but any feedback would be vastly appreciated!

Thanks for that, I'll take a look at them tommorow and get back to you. They're looking pretty neat. :cool:

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

As long as you land with a wee bit of care they're fine. The ships designed to operate on moons such as Minmus and Gilly so there's really no excuse for rough landings! :)

I must say I'm getting quite attached to this new design, I've decided to call them Moths for, you know... Obvious reasons. They pack about 6000m/s of Delta V but are still light enough for two of them to be lifted into orbit with a single turbo jet. Not too shabby. :wink:

Looking sweet!! I can't wait to give them a try!! Those ion engines are pretty damn efficient, and with the new beef-up they got in 23.5, they pack quite a bit of power now!!

http://i.imgur.com/sl62n2i.jpg

Thanks for that, I'll take a look at them tommorow and get back to you. They're looking pretty neat. :cool:

Cupcake...

Ok, that'd be great, thank you!

How about that, your message popped up just as I was thinking of you! :) Anyway, without further ado...

http://imgur.com/a/APLpS#0

Craft 1:

Good solid design, nicely put together. The only minor quibbles I have is about the weight of some of the components you chose. The Advanced SAS is heavier then the standard version without any extra benefits. Likewise I'd be inclined to switch the big docking ports for the junior version.

Craft 2:

An attack VTOL eh? :cool: Wow, I'm not sure what to make of this one, it's a cool concept but I think you'll be losing a lot of efficiency having the engines mounted at angles like that though. I do like it though!

Craft 3:

A good no nonsense design. Personally I'd be inclined to mount the rocket fuel tanks closest to the fuselage elsewhere and bring the jet fuel tanks/engines closer in. The same with the SAS units the closer you can put them to the center of the mass the better. If you can do this you'll get better handling as I imagine this design has a really strong rate of pitch but a poor rate of roll/yaw, again I'd lose the shielded docking ports if you can.

Anyway, I hope this helps and keep on building, you're coming up with some great designs there. :wink:

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Wow that lander is amazing :)

Who do you control two of them at same time?

They are indeed Cupcake!! Cool vid as usual too. :D

@Darnok,

I don't think he used the dual control mod but its possible. What he did was set one craft on a set course then switch to the other and catch up with the first and match its speed and heading.

It can be very tricky but Cupcake makes it look so easy!

MJ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.