Giving up.

skipper8472

It really does, and planning a successful land-and-return trip is even harder. In some ways I think Minmus is an easier target. It takes a little bit more to get there, but it's so easy to get into orbit, land, and take off again. But I rarely see anyone trying to achieve that before going to the Mun. It seems so much further away, that might be part of it, and that inclination can be tricky, but it really is a lot easier in my mind.

It's definitely easier to land on, that's for sure. I find there is something weird about landing on the Mun that even screws up MechJeb's landing system at times. Hell, I turned the translatron to "Keep Vertical" and it dived my one rocket into the surface, multiple times. Never had those problems landing on any other planet or moon. The Mun is a very weird place.

OP, don't worry about ranting. I think we all rant at the beginning until we start to learn from other people's vids. I'm still learning tbh but I do have the basics down pat now. Like others have said, WATCH SCOTT MANLY KSP vids. He gives you a lot of info about real life spaceflight too.

You don't need to match the AP and the PE, plus it's nearly impossible anyway as floating point errors will throw it off.

You just need an orbit, AP and PE can be a few or several km different from each other and it'll be fine, then wait for the Mun to peek round the edge of Kerbin and burn prograde to raise your apoapsis.

When the apoapsis reaches around 11,000km you'll get an intercept with the Mun, thrust some more so you get a flyby with a Mun periapsis of around 50 to 100km and you are all set.

When at the Munar periapsis, burn retrograde to circularise your orbit, again it does not have to be round, in fact you can lower your periapsis around the Mun to 10km, setting you up for a good landing.

At the 10km periapsis you can burn retrograde again to cancel your horizontal velocity, then lower yourself to the Mun's surface on your engines thrust, tilting slightly to keep your descent nice and straight.

Try to land at a low speed, no more than 10m/s but slower is better, and don't forget to press X when you touchdown :)

The funny thing is, I started playing this about a couple weeks ago, maybe 3 weeks. Never had any issues besides the nav ball as well as rocket designs. Took me a bit to get used to the controls. The rest was pretty easy. I mostly build SSTO rockets, similar to Scott Manley, though I sometimes find better designs for different situations. I also been making everything reusable. I can't stand leaving useless stuff in orbit, not to mention, my very first space station got destroyed by a flyby. -.- ... I was laughing hysterically about it when it happened, cause I was thinking about it happening, and was all like ... naa chances are to low.

I looked away and turned back and saw a blur whiz right through my station. BOOM!. XD Funny thing is, this is before I knew about the quick save function :P, so I just restarted and never left another useless thing in orbit again.

Oh btw, hi, I am new here :3

One suggestion: If you're only uploading still images, uploading them to Youtube videos is a horribly inefficient way to do it. I'd recommend finding a good image hosting website instead and uploading your screenshots to them. I use Photobucket, but Imgur is another popular choice around here.

You're using multiple ASAS modules. You only need one.

Also, try feeding fuel from the outer stages to the inner one and fire *everything* right at the start together. As it is, you're carrying that liquid engine unlit when it could be providing useful thrust.

No I have not, actually I will look into that tomorrow. hehe explodey stuff. Decided not to give up and will continue.

Actually you learn a lot blowing stuff up. When it happens look at where the initial weakness was as the logs will tell you. Usually it will be a structural failure between a tank and something else... thats where you begin the strutting to make it more rigid.

I've had rockets that were like huge bananas which looped the loop and STILL managed to limp into orbit... but that is rare. Usually they go KABOOM as they split in two. The best is when you have planned for it and added escape systems so that when you hit the ABORT button you escape the big explosion. Nothing like seeing cheering Kerbals land after that to raise your spirits.

Oh and for your images use imgur.com as they don't automatically compress your images if you don't want to. I used to use Photobucket but others on here told me it sucks in comparison to imgur... and they were right.

Hello,

I understand things can be daunting...learning chess is daunting...playing it is daunting...winning is impossible...so what do we do here?

WE LOSE !? Why we lose !? Cause when we lose, that's when we learn...and we start over, and over, til we find the amount of satisfaction we need; then we start over each time gettin just a little bit happier....

I am streaming live video feeds of KSP and Blender tonite - hop on over... I only been at the game for a month and now it is the only game I am playing...why...cause I can create here...like writing a song...its all about creation and living a dream - ya I know thats abit exagerating haha...but you get the idea !

http://www.twitch.tv/cdr_zeta

I am learning ans streaming Blender at the moment - talk about learning something ! But wow Blender is easy compared to learning animation which I need to do next. I am building a wroking Mission Control Center in KSP...How you may ask? I dont know actually, but whatever happens, happens...!

Cdr Zeta

Only 22 hours is awful quick to be giving up.

Keep it simple. First try building a very basic rocket with only one engine so that you learn to guide it along, and see how far you go. It'll eventually run out of gas and fall back of course, and when it does you'll learn how to control a craft without a working engine.

Then add a little more- perhaps some boosters, or a bigger fuel tank.

Eventually you'll figure it out, KSP seems to mostly involve learning patterns in which the parts fit together and perform well.

If failure is the current problem, then aim for it and work backwards from there.

Example:

I suck at this game. All the things explode. RAGEFACE! WHAT DO???

Step 1: I'm good at explosions, therefore, my goal is explosions. How can I make the biggest one?

2: First explosion very large. Great Victory. Second explosion shall be off ground when happen.

3. Cool, my second attempt actually lifted off. Kinda. Jeb died, but he's OK with it. This one will run out of fuel before exploding.

4. This one will go straight up. Only straight up. Until it runs out of fuel or I reach the end of the universe. Nothing matters except going straight up. And not exploding.

5. Success! Now, I will use the same rocket, but at an altitude of 10km, I will "pitch to the 90." Jeb(same one, who knew?) is confused but is unaware of A.S.A.S. installation. All is well. Onward!

/trollface

Joking aside, do not set your sights too high too soon. Expect and learn to enjoy repeated failure. If everything always goes according to plan, boredom ensues.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.