Show me your improbable designs!

I call it the Pencil Probe:

screenshot3_zpsc240c4d3.png

I pretty much had to launch it as soon as the physics loaded, or else it started flopping around like a piece of wet spaghetti and became generally unmanageable. Took quite a bit of babying to get it to fly right, too.

Never got it into orbit, although in theory it could have made it. It did get above the atmosphere, though.

Not a flying object, but still very improbable:

1285770302993.jpg

GigQjcDl.jpg

It works with the magnet force of the docking ports, and it seems to pick up speed as long as you let it run.

How is this supposed to work? This wouldn't work in real life, right?

How is this supposed to work? This wouldn't work in real life, right?

Nope; Newton's Third Law states that the car must pull on the magnet with equal force as the magnet pulling on the car. Hence, it doesn't move.

Thanks to KSP's dubious-at-times physics engine, infini-gliders and that creation are possible!

zI0aQot.jpg

This is my Type III Drone. It is by far the most reliable biplane I have ever constructed. Capable of speeds as low as 7.7m/s, I'm still not sure on it's Vne, but it is somewhere over 200. Maximum altitude is also unknown, as most testing has been focussed on the lower end of the flight envelope. Its stall speed is between 4 and 7 m/s, by far the lowest I've gotten a plane to stay stable. It's surprisingly manoeuvrable for its wingspan, capable of some pretty sharp turns. I was able to fly between the SPH and VAB, at about the level of the former's roof. I then shut down the engine, and was able to gain several hundred metres of altitude and maintain flight for a very long time.

lYikLkk.jpg

Its takeoffs are incredibly short, as can be seen here:

wysRuvs.jpg

I was able to maintain this inverted turn for three full revolutions, while gaining altitude.

MBuv91p.jpg

To top it off, the durability is simply absurd. It's flown with the entire top half sheared off by an earlier prototype. Here, I was flying it quite easily after an incident with a runway light. Adjusted the roll trim and it flew like a charm.

hBJA0I1.jpg

Hmmm, I wonder if it's possible to construct a reactionless drive using those wonky docking port physics. Like having two docking ports facing each other and separated by a very small gap, then have one of the docking ports be a shielded on as a on/off switch.

Is there a reason the control surfaces are asymmetrical? You've got 2 on one wing, none on the other. Badass.

I've modified it for a challenge before the forum wipe. Pretty much hard to land, even on the original configuration.

3DTkIWz.png

AsocvrS.png

And speaking of more improbable designs...

KSP2012-01-2021-26-22-60.jpg

Holy crap.. I love where this is going!

Vostok, those ships (would those be Barques?) are contenders for the most beautiful thing I've seen in KSP! Seriously.

Here's a screen shot from the vid in case anybody scrolled past it. Again, this is Vostok's, not mine:

DgZOKey.jpg

I tried Atanar's exploit, but wasn't able to get a craft that performed better than the control. I realized I needed a control because it seemed to be working, and then I realized that there is a slight slope in the runway..... Just having wheels on something light will get you at least 2 m/s if you are patient. How fast were you able to get 'er going, Antar?

• 2 years later...

Oh, we had a mini version of this simply called 'Bubble' that we had a lot of fun with.

848743KSPvesselsBubble01640.jpg

Bubble was then used as a Mun lander, to retrieve the kerbals that had been studying one of the Mysterious Grand A**h. For four years.

First mission we landed on the moon. Everybody on Kerbin had forgotten them.

Something had to be done, the lab was literally drowning into the surface samples the crew kept amassing.

It did survive reentry.

650023KSPvesselsBubble03640.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also, posted these pictures of the brand new mobile 'Clever-o-Lab 1000' in the "What did you do today?" thread a few hours ago.

361581KSPmobilecleverolab100001.jpg

871378KSPmobilecleverolab100002450.jpg 446080KSPmobilecleverolab100003450.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

This sounds kewl. Would a Mk3 VTOL count as improbable? I'm on my school computer so I can't share pics, but I will say that it is more of a VTO, since when only on VTOL engines it has a nasty tendency to pitch down when going slowly. Which is how it became a VTO, and lost the L. because it crashed. But it was still a Mk3 VTO, and it went up to 1000 m/s too!

big necro mate. But never mind, it is an actual good thing add to the thread.  I think that the MK3 VTO is not that weird of an idea, merely it is kerbal, but if it LOOKs really weird you should totally post it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.