What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

So... I started a new career game with the FASA mod, and after killing Bill and Jeb through horrible accidents in re-entry... (Horrible because I gained no science from them... =P) I finally came up with a design that works... Mostly. I sent Bill up, (after many tests with the various modes of the escape towers installed....) to collect science from orbit. Launch wasn't quite what I planned... But a westerly heading ended up getting me above the atmosphere. With deadly re-entry installed, I came in a little hot... But not hot enough to burn up. So... Coming down and the re-entry effects are done... That's when I see that I am at a mere 4k meters..... I punch the protective cover off my 'shute and release it. I recall some people trying to find the High Gee Death machines somewhere else on the forums..... If they're reading this thread.. I want to let you know I've found one. That's right, Bill's guts are splattered around his ship... But the science survived!! Rest in Peace Bill, but know that your death wasn't in vain!

I launched a rover into orbit around Kerbin. Next step is the transfer burn to Mun and then hopefully a landing near my Mun base.

I probably should've included space for 2 Kerbals on the rover since there are 2 in the lander and if my precision on landing is off it's going to be a pain to get them to my Mun base landing site.

Oh well. I'll just have to be really good at landing. (I've never landed in the same area twice before, so it should work out fine, right?)

Sdv0HC5.jpg

24mi32x.jpg

I finished up my Olympus Outpost currently housing Bill, Bob and Jeb for maintenance. They'll stay there for a couple of days to make sure that everything is working correctly before returning to Kerbin in the crew shuttle.

I uploaded episode 13 of "Rover Adventures - Around Kerbin", I´m half of the way around the planet and about to reach South Pole soon!:P

Sequence+01.Still015.jpg

Edited by Wooks

Periapsis kicking the Nobel 1.

13904033534_83ce018aa1_c.jpg

It's over 700 parts, 70 tons fully fuelled (the small tanks are all empty from the start being just structural, but there's a lot of them), and has one nuclear engine.

Four 4-minute burns, each taking more like 16 minutes wall time, leave me with an apoapsis around halfway to Minmus and 250 m/s or so left to do.

Note to self: In future reduce part counts and add engines.

-snip-

I like using mod parts for that very reason. i can do a 120+ton tanker in 2 dozen parts or so. i can launch it using about a hundred parts or so. none are "better", just different. usually scaled up, and about balanced with stock. I haven't done a true asparagus launcher since I started using the NovaPunch 5m parts for the 1st stage core. really cuts down on the part count (meaning less physics load), and results in far fewer catastrophic failures. less tedious to build as well.

I finished my Venus lander.

Yes.

Venus.

This lander is capable of taking one Kerbal through aerobreaking, down to the surface, and back up to orbit again. It consists of 400 parts and weighs 620 tons.

VenusLander3.png

Actually I lied. It's not completely done yet. I still have to figure out how to get the Kerbal from the capsule to the ground and up once I have landed.

I uploaded episode 13 of "Rover Adventures - Around Kerbin", I´m half of the way around the planet and about to reach South Pole soon!:P

I had thought about trying this with one Kerbal, but the rover could cross water on it's own(AKA The Rove-Boat). I am still fine tuning the craft yet though, and figuring out my driving style also as it is very touchy. I was going to ask if that would offend you if someone else did something similar or not, so here is my chance hehehe :P

Landed the Kethane Lifter transport next to No-Longer-Mobile Kethane Mining base - getting better at pinpoint landings, at least in low-g environments like Minmus?

Experiment by engineering corps to launch a new interplanetary exploration ship in one piece went totally wrong. Prototype was a 100% loss, test pilots escaped with parachutes, but Bob Kerman failed to report in, search parties have been assembled, hopefully he will find his way home soon.

Disconnected the crew module/lander from my Munar Kethane Base and prepped the one man crew for the voyage home.

Psychologists first had to convince Ergel Kerman that he is indeed a Kerbal - after so many months alone at the base he thought of himself as a "base" - two units of notepad+ intrasave fixed him.

I finally started my single-launch Tylo mission.

tylo_ship_1.jpeg

The launch was quite typical for my recent missions. The upper stage has to be big enough to complete the escape burn, and the rest of the rocket is designed around that. This time it meant a four-booster SLS with an extra large upper stage.

tylo_ship_2.jpeg

I'm starting to like the KR-2L as a vacuum engine. When a transfer burn to Jool takes less than two minutes, something is obviously right.

tylo_ship_3.jpeg

After dropping the upper stage (and redirecting it to hit Jool), the ship moves around with lander engines. Using separate transfer engines would just have been too inefficient. If the lander fails to come back, the command module can return to Kerbin using the orbital maneuvering engines in the drop tank (and some gravity assists).

I made two mistakes after the transfer burn: I didn't match Jool's inclination, and decided to aerobrake at Jool instead of Laythe. My initial orbit around Jool had 120-degree inclination, making it pretty hopeless to approach Tylo. The cheapest way of getting the inclination down to 0 degrees was aerobraking at Laythe, after which it was easy to transfer to Tylo. After circularizing to a 60 km orbit, I estimated that I would have almost 3500 m/s of delta-v for the return trip, or 3000 m/s if I don't ditch the drop tank. That was surprisingly much, considering how much I had to fool around to set up the encounter with Laythe.

Yesterday I continued where I left of earlier this week ( http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/29533-What-did-you-do-in-KSP-today?p=1093159#post1093159 ), getting my intrepid Kerbals from Gilly, via Eve, back to the homestead of Kerbin;

2016DE693C83FEAA8B3BA2841F3641C6449139E8

The long burn out of Eve's SOI

28DEC874DC11663BB10E682E2CB4CA17C54D0B1A

And a lovely view during the Kerbin Aerocapture

D50481ABA2B576CE402ABB6B38D59D6EAC3614A0

Detaching the Gilly Lander from the Science Package/Transfer Module (forget to take screenshots of the splashdown into the Kacific Ocean)

F7D78AD6A84B3BEC4DB2D3C2A70F89CB2BA9F232

After the Gilly Lander made a safe splashdown it was time for the Science Package to deliver it's precious cargo of Science points

5AF99B536853273C3F6AA1890605FF4AF0A2A9B5

When the parachutes deploy the Transfer Stage was released for a controlled crash into the water

6AB5D8A3A89605879EE0F4FD8C5E899DD2CB6A1D

With the Science gained during this mission I have now unlocked everything I need for a Class D Asteroid Catcher, next project is a huge Asteroid Base/Orbital Kethane Refinery :)

I sent an aquatic base to Laythe using the radial intakes as floats :)

The base in all its glory

bfe72fb0eabf6b7d6df9b88aad2e9118.png

Hard at work!

c200768fb098fb0d4a4228487e63397e.png

The team pose for a photo

6bb2dca15c9a2d63620fea3988201c31.png

Jool as seen from the Cupola

7fbf8a36e4396ec4d9f2891072315ce8.png

I plan on sending them a jetski to play with, complete with a claw for all of my docking needs.

Edited by WillHop

After dropping the upper stage (and redirecting it to hit Jool), the ship moves around with lander engines. Using separate transfer engines would just have been too inefficient. If the lander fails to come back, the command module can return to Kerbin using the orbital maneuvering engines in the drop tank (and some gravity assists).

I like that solution.

I'm doing my Tylo mission now as well. I went for a brute-force method for the lander, which will range from 2.3 to 4.1 TWR (Tylo gravity), depending on the stage. But it's a stupidly heavy lander, I think, at 70 tons. I built it more like an Eve lander. The interplanetary-stage is showing that it's down to 1 km/s of dV left after getting into a rather lop-sided elliptical orbit around Tylo (after a nice free aerobraking maneuver around Jool that shot me out almost directly at Tylo, but still needed a heavy insertion burn). But that 1k of dV is with the heavy lander attached. Once that's gone, the ship will considerably lighter with better dV. If I'm still too low on fuel for the return trip, I still have a few fallbacks. The Kerbin return lander has some decent dV in it, and I also have a rescue ship on standby in Jool orbit, from a previous mission where it wasn't needed.

Now in orbit:

KSP%202014-04-16%2022-48-51-07.jpg

On the pad before launch:

KSP%202014-04-15%2023-16-13-65.jpg

Lander's stats:

KSP%202014-04-14%2021-54-57-19.jpg

Lots of things!

I made a booster seat (ask me how it ended). (image)

I brought a lander with lab to Minmus and gathered lots of science. (image)

My Mun base is coming along. It now has a rover, a core module (which will eventually be replaced when I figure things out more) and the wreckage (sort of... it is still operational) of the rover lander.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I tried to land a plane with some science in the K2 hills to and almost killed Jebediah in the process.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/DZ4SH/embed"></iframe>