What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

May I know what mod are you using ?

The living quarter is part of the

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84106-0-23-5-Stanford-Torus-0-1?highlight=Stanford

its used to house the kerbals during the construction, for that I use kethane and extraplanetary launchpads.

Just build and tested the big miner needed for the project, it can take 1500 ton metal into Minmus orbit.

However the living quarter can also be used as a standalone part like an base on a planet.

Welp, some more interesting (and weird) stuff happened in the world of KSP today.

I was messing around with a prototype VTOLSSTO, and managed to get it to work:

jliuT1M.png

t7C7Hqo.png

I managed to build it in such a way that the COM barely moves, which is important for VTOLs what with COT for the jets having to be quite precisely on it.

CSZM9gd.png

But I did promise weirdness, and here it is:

I deorbited, and just as I was heading for the runway, 2km up, half of my tailplane explodes! I check the flight log, and apparently I hit the... launchpad... wut:huh:?

I keep going, thinking that I'm sure Jeb can handle the challenge, when suddenly, the other half explodes as well, and you guessed it: launchpad!

nu7hR6t.png

k3yGBPX.png

Now Jeb's in trouble, it could work with half a tailplane, but no tailplane and the COL has moved way too far forward. I fire up the VTOL engines, fighting the aerodynamic forces, angle myself to kill forward velocity to stop the lifting forces, and managed to touch down at 14 m/s a few meters from the runway.

mwqtCbf.png

All things considered, a rocky but still successful and quite exciting maiden voyage for this little VTOLSSTO. Now I just gotta find a name for it.

Sorta.... I had a few instances after loading up my save, going to the tracking station and jumping to a ship/station in orbit.... And said ship/station violently disassembles itself--It doesn't explode, but all the component parts fly away from where the vessel was at high velocity... Jeb died in one of these incidents. Quick loading fixed things... And after a few days, the problem disappeared, and I don't know why it happened or why it got fixed....

I do hope it sorts its self out then, it was really annoying trying to get to Kerbin without time warp.

Flew from the pyramids to the inland space centre, guided by kerbalmaps. My landing was, as usual, sloppy. Got a couple of little surprises: one of the buildings wasn't just inert bricks and mortar, and there was an extra object there I didn't expect to see.

Bit the bullet and did the timewarp - taking FourJade to Jool, and then onward to Laythe, as depicted here.

But before that, I smashed a probe into the ground after emptying its fuel tanks as a "lithobrake test".

K5UmLw.png

Nah, it was just a defunct, purpose-built rescue probe that needed destroying anyway, I just wanted to watch it happen. There was no expectation of its survival.

OoYzw7.png

I've been calculating through a possible flight plan for a Jool-5 mission I'm thinking about doing... Since it's tempting to use the last stage of a Tylo lander on Vall, I'm currently planning to visit the moons starting from the outermost. I'm only a little bit afraid that targeting Pols SOI from outside the Jool system might be a bit difficult, therefore I'll also consider going to Tylo first, or even going to Laythe and aerobraking there.

You use struts connected to the decopler and then set the chair and parachute on the struts.

Tried this as an escape system however the kerbal fell off the chair.

However I guess the direction the chair faces then you get the parashute shock is important?

You use struts connected to the decopler and then set the chair and parachute on the struts.

Tried this as an escape system however the kerbal fell off the chair.

However I guess the direction the chair faces then you get the parashute shock is important?

I'm not actually sure. I deployed them at a height above where the parachute opens, so there wasn't much shock. However, I don't think the parachutes fully deployed because I flew out of range and the "rovers" didn't show up in the tracking building. The trick might be to deploy them just above the parachute opening height.

http://i.imgur.com/4a7rD8n.png

I had to go do something and 'forgot' to decelerate my station module.

EDIT: After it blew the station up, my game broke. Never let me revert or do anything. Worth it!

Separation 0.0 is km is always bad, at least if its something else than small pod sized ships.

I once managed to ram an probe into an asteroid with over 200 m/s

I've been calculating through a possible flight plan for a Jool-5 mission I'm thinking about doing... Since it's tempting to use the last stage of a Tylo lander on Vall, I'm currently planning to visit the moons starting from the outermost. I'm only a little bit afraid that targeting Pols SOI from outside the Jool system might be a bit difficult, therefore I'll also consider going to Tylo first, or even going to Laythe and aerobraking there.

Yeah, an aerobrake around Laythe will work. What's worked best for me is aerobraking around Jool itself, at a Periapsis altitude of around 118-128km (depending on velocity), to capture into an eccentric orbit. This can put your Apoapsis around Laythe, Vall, or Tylo's orbit.

Bop and Pol are both pretty low-gravity, and thus have low-velocity orbital speeds. You'll come screaming into Jool around 8km/s or faster, probably (by the time you approach Jool itself anyway). Definitely aerobrake if you can, even if you do those moons first. :)

I think the order you tackle the moons will usually come down to the strategy you use for your landers.

But the important thing is to make sure you go into a prograde orbital direction. It's easy to come into Jool's system in a retrograde orbit, and that's bad news for visiting the moons.

Well, technically yesterday, but ...

Just getting my grip on the game after a quite lengthy break since 0.17-0.18, and playing on career mode on stock ( to get in touch with the new parts ). At this point I'm just rovering a lab in the dark side of the Mun ...

k9fxMwO.png

OFC that I forgot that the Mun has 1/6 of the gravity of Kerbin, so the rover is way too light and too top heavy to be as reliable as i would like ...

8ohTGGr.png

P.S. It survived well to that tumbling. TBH I was impressed ...

Anyway, it looks that I forgot to get pics of the skycrane delivery. Will probably make a video of that when the sister ship of this gets to Minmus in a couple of game days. Now I just have to rover this beauty outside the East Farside crater in the dark ;)

Yeah, an aerobrake around Laythe will work. What's worked best for me is aerobraking around Jool itself, at a Periapsis altitude of around 118-128km (depending on velocity), to capture into an eccentric orbit. This can put your Apoapsis around Laythe, Vall, or Tylo's orbit.

Bop and Pol are both pretty low-gravity, and thus have low-velocity orbital speeds. You'll come screaming into Jool around 8km/s or faster, probably (by the time you approach Jool itself anyway). Definitely aerobrake if you can, even if you do those moons first. :)

I think the order you tackle the moons will usually come down to the strategy you use for your landers.

But the important thing is to make sure you go into a prograde orbital direction. It's easy to come into Jool's system in a retrograde orbit, and that's bad news for visiting the moons.

Laythe aerobraking pretty much require mechjeb as you have no controll over the speed, if you are unlucky you arrive then Laythe on the left of Jool coming towards you.

You will want to visit Laythe anyway as geting into an Laythe orbit with Ap just inside its SOI let you wait and do an small burn to get to an orbit around Jool with Pe at Laythe orbit.

On the other hand if your Jool intercept is good it don't cost very much dV to enter an orbit close to Pol. Beating it pretty much require Tylo slingshots from Laythe or an Laythe aerobrake who put you in Jool orbit.

The real important part is to arive at Jool in the same plane as the moons.

Laythe aerobraking pretty much require mechjeb as you have no controll over the speed, if you are unlucky you arrive then Laythe on the left of Jool coming towards you.

You will want to visit Laythe anyway as geting into an Laythe orbit with Ap just inside its SOI let you wait and do an small burn to get to an orbit around Jool with Pe at Laythe orbit.

On the other hand if your Jool intercept is good it don't cost very much dV to enter an orbit close to Pol. Beating it pretty much require Tylo slingshots from Laythe or an Laythe aerobrake who put you in Jool orbit.

The real important part is to arive at Jool in the same plane as the moons.

Unfortunately, if you use FAR, mechleb's aerobraking is less than useless (unless it's been patched in the last few weeks), a fact many of my kerbals know to their cost.

I finally got a few failtastic videos up on YouTube from the past couple days. The first two are pretty self explanatory, the third one is just a few videos I had laying around (thanks to Shadowplay) that I thought were worthy of being seen but not necessarily worthy of their own video (possible spoiler for Mun Arch). Some of you may remember my second generation "asteroid truck", I'm still kind of proud that I actually got that thing to work. My asteroid airlifting platforms however, not so much as all their testing was pretty much on the fly.

This is true, a Laythe Aerobraking is less predictable, depending on where in the orbit it is, unless you're planning to capture directly into Laythe's SOI. Even then, the aerobraking altitude needed can vary quite a bit.

Much easier to brake at Jool into whatever orbital altitude you need.

Still have five Kerbals stranded in solar orbit. A hastily dispatched tanker finally arrived there, but used too much of the overall fuel.

Not enough fuel left to go anywhere, but Jeb and crew have now more real estate for long EVA walks.