What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Our Initial Run 1.02 STILL! Space Program lost its first probe to unexplained circumstances, as the MME Explorer went dark (Kraken) when attempting to select the probe and search for an orbital solution to Eve. The probe was early and experimental, and launched on a non-ideal trajectory requiring checks every 60 days of its solar orbit to get a solution for Eve.

The Dres 1 probe then caused concern that the universe was falling apart as it refused to allow telemetry of on-board resources during its encounter arrival (the Resources box wouldn't acknowledge my clicking), however the encounter proceeded successfully with no further anomalies, the probe unfortunately burning out its remaining fuel as predicted, about 100m/s short of a capture orbit.

Adjusted the lifter of my LabTug so that it could handle a 20t payload, tested it, and used it. Also, the amazing exploding drone put up a strange, imbalanced satellite, then exploded on its way down (didn't bother reverting, and it's not like it had been tested at all). Finally, SixPlane docked and flew home.

f735e929a2c9b5d42cdcdd5099a9398f.png

eeb70dc5c9e2f1cd1ad8fe5d899e8c4c.png

The test payload actually ended up being 19.99t, not 20t, but I'm certain that a 20t payload is within the capabilities of my lifter. As you can see, there was even left over fuel... but not very much. The changes amounted to swapping the tail connectors for advanced nose cones, changing the fins for the lighter Delta Deluxes, and moving the drop tanks so they're all on the boosters (so only one set of radial decouplers is needed).

e222f3afe6fbaa09d596a5d937209c1c.png

7d3bdfe7ef88e7142000b73aedd3f1ff.png

So, I added a small fuel tank to the LabTug, and a bay with some science instruments, which I think brought it up to 19.96t, or something like that. The tug is draggier than the test payload, though...

c973df18d525bec4ea2eb2b0acde5a5f.png

ca6f207d4f5379838144138ab91782ba.png

Still worked. Cut it a little finer than I might have liked, but I'm happy with it. Now I have to grab the lab with it.

eba471454e37a90a0839b2d2e05de91b.png

0cc74daa92b7875eba7065f393cd80b8.png

This drone didn't really have a name, it was just something I threw together. Half the oxidiser from one of those converters has been removed, so there's some dedicated jet fuel.

310dfdeba719374a893f1d3fed6628e1.png

95b00ec87b8ea9110f845e85203c5b4b.png

Inside it is a little probe, intended to hit two satellite contracts - one keosynchronous, and one at 22Mm, and the latter is retrograde and requires a goo container. To minimise imbalance and assist in getting out of the bay, I stuck a landing gear on the other end, keyed to the RCS action group (as it wasn't otherwise being used), and attached a battery and antenna to it. I'm now waiting to maneuver to get it to the higher orbit, which is going to be a total orbital reversal once I get the apoapse to the right altitude. I've already completed the lower one.

433bf4dd0a72572b4b54b5273d15566a.png

b6ad24e4a72bc562fdc851b74f1d1203.png

The drone itself suffered a... minor heating issue. The higher of the above two images is of one of the batteries in the cargo bay exploding, not long after the probe core itself exploded. The drone wafted around a bit, but in the end didn't slow down enough that its collision with the mountain would be survivable by the majority of its components.

0a9c283fa47f93b9e7e26d14fc9abfa8.png

793aaccbe2e47dd18e7839ace6a5932b.png

SixPlane is the spaceplane seen above that I mentioned yesterday. It ended up with more fuel than it needed, but it served its purpose of flying up five tourists and Mirgrid to Stopover, then flying home safely. I have an img42 collection of the flight's screenshots here.

Started my first no-quicksave, no-revert career and on the 2nd rocket test with Valentina in the seat, I activated my parachutes too early.

4000m

I realised two of the chutes were still intact, but that was because they were inside the storage container and hadn't actually fired.

3000m

I open the storage container and mash space

2000m

I realise the space bar isn't working (because the chutes have de-staged but not deployed).

1000m

I spin the camera round, right click a chute and break the mouse button clicking the 'deploy' button.

200m

the chute deploys

100m

I deploy the other chute

78m

Touchdown... bloody nora! Val gets out the pod and vomits EVERYWHERE!

Edited by The_Rocketeer

I assembled my Duna expedition ship. It consists of 4 parts - the Mk3 crew pod with two Nerv atomic engines, the Mk2 lander which also has the first part of what will become a larger orbital station and finally I sent up two fuel tanks which should hopefully have sufficient fuel to make it to Duna and back again.

lCeGUyt.png

After I put them all together, I removed some of the excess parts to reduce part count/mass. On the right you can see the ship where I stored all the parts that I removed - returning them to Kerbin for use on other ships. I have to say I am becoming very fond of the way KIS works, and my future missions will most certainly include more assembling of stuff in space.

sF31SbM.png

NrWZ0Ls.png

BVxriIZ.png

Final Tests of ISRU version for Jool-5/Grand Tour, the Magnum Navigium, 4 Kerbals, 5850 m/s ÃŽâ€v, can land everywhere except Eve. (1 mammoth, 4 aerospikes, isru, 2 drillers, 2 gigantor solar, 2 fuelcell)

SSTO 1300 m/s ÃŽâ€v remaining in LKO. (upper tanks are locked during ascent to increase stability, main tanks 90% full so the twr atmo is >1)

Edited by xebx

I discovered that the lights on the *new* large landing gear don't work, so I added my own.

It didn't quite go as planned lol.

http://i.imgur.com/yo0Fkdz.png

What I like to do, is to clip a retracted small landing gears into the gear bay of the large/medium ones, and remove the Gear action group from the small. The small gear has no drag when retracted, so it's better than a light for air/spaceplanes.

I discovered that the lights on the *new* large landing gear don't work

In case you haven't noticed, the new gear doesn't steer either. Annoying if you need to taxi back to the runway for recovery after landing in the grass!

I always use the 'adjustable landing gear' mod for large planes. Still no lights but it is fully functioning!

In case you haven't noticed, the new gear doesn't steer either. Annoying if you need to taxi back to the runway for recovery after landing in the grass!

If you mount the main landing sufficiently close to the CoM, so there's only minimal weight on the nose wheel, then it is still possible to steer, just barely, using the command pod reaction wheels, as long as you're not stationary. Maneuvering back to the runway is certainly doable. Turning on to the Taxiways, probably not.

Another bonus of this weight distribution, is that the gear can take much more punishment before buckling and veering off the runway, during take-off. Can launch a 400 t aircraft on a single pair of stock Heavy Landing Gear as mains and a Medium as nose gear (edit: with no struts used).

Edited by Val

Two “MohoProbo†[RemoteTech] comm vehicles arrived at Moho yesterday, each one carrying a “MoProbe†sub-unit. MohoProbos have long range comms for connection to Kerbin and 3Mm antenna for regional use, the MoProbe subunits are 3Mm only for extending coverage.

Meanwhile “Dune Net I†is about a week out from Duna, carrying 2 long range sub-units and 3 short range ones, the “mothership†is also going to be a regional 3Mm node. This is followed closely by a multi-mission survey probe, which is contracted to investigate Duna and Ike with several different sensor platforms.

Once the comm. Nets are established, I intend to send rovers and resource scanning probes to increase my knowledge base before attempting Kerballed missions. Whilst the unmanned missions are underway I will be looking into setting up a refuelling station at Minmus, either for operations rendezvousing in Minmus space or for supply of an LKO fuel depot.

Two “Sentinel†probes have also just recently arrived in their mission orbits and are logging objects in Duna and Kerbin space.

Plans are on the table for the deployment of ultra-long range communications, originally for a Sentinel mission out to Jool’s orbit, but I figure I’ll build in the capacity to support the missions necessary to extend the rest of my space program out that far. I miiiiiiight decide to make it a long-term manned outpost, probably in a high-inclination (as practical) Kerbolar orbit...

Back on Kerbin I am trying to optimise “Dark II†my so-called 5th-generation fighter. Delta wing w/canard layout. Am experimenting with leading edge slats to improve the flight envelope, it is currently extremely unstable at low speeds (100-150 m/s) but has reasonable performance in the 200-400m/s range – can sustain 7-9G turns and is stable. Max speed is around 400m/s, max altitude around 20km-ish. Any tips on enhancing low speed stability and on getting a smooth area-ruled cross section would be most appreciated ïÂÅ 

Last night I sent up a Fuel Base module to rendezvous with Jeb's Stratofortress 7; that's not what that module was designed for but it did the job admirably. Jeb now has a full tank of gas and is ready to complete his rendezvous with the Kerbinport 7 space station - which at this point is completely on the opposite side of Kerbin. So I get to kill a few orbits getting him into position. Might be enough time to finish doing a few other things. Honestly, I need to find more time to play the game...

Today I discovered that Someone at the agency has accepted three contracts involving placing satellites around Io.

Io? Dude, it's like 1964 and our biggest accomplishment so far was putting a scanner satellite in orbit of the Moon!

This is going to require some serious coffee...

Other then that, as planned we launched the experimental Switch Blade Five communication satellite set. Turned out we should probably not have skimped on the avionics controls, but hey at least they're in orbit!

AFWNtIg.png

4xmwOXV.png

eRIAOWa.png

Edited by Icarium