What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I landed a team of 3 Kerbals on Eeloo.....and I have nowhere near enough fuel to get back.

I'm not even sure how I'm going to get enough fuel up there for the return journey, might just send them a habitation pod and note to have a nice life....on Eeloo.

Today in KSP I started a new save so that I could incorporate all that I've learned from my previous saves and apply them to a clean slate. To change things up, I've downloaded mechjeb2, and kethane, as well as a couple of other useful mods (still won't touch FAR or deadly reentry, since they will break my existing fleet of crafts too much). I tweaked some of my earliest designs to be more efficient, which meant shaving a lot of fuel tanks off and testing... A lot. I put a fuel depot into orbit and tomorrow I'm going to build a new space station around it. Then, I'm going to send a kethane probe to the Mun and plot out good spots to set up a ground base. After that, it's onward to Duna. This time I'm going to document my efforts and plan to put a mission report on the forums for alls enjoyment!

Decided I would design a Mun rover (still quite early in my KSP career).

Built the rover, slotted it into one of my rocket designs that I know can reach the Mun with one exception, using an unmanned command module.

Got the rocket in LKO, slingshotted (correct terminology?) to the Mun, altered course so I was in the Mun's orbit and BAM.

Out of electricity :(

The only solar panels that were installed on the entire ship was on the rover, which had a nose cone covering it (yes I know it doesn't do anything except add mass but I like everything looking nice haha).

Time to start again!

Accidentally smushed my second unmanned Moho lander. The Ant engine was, perhaps, not the best choice at 12000 meters and 300m/s.

But, on the other hand, I did manage to use my interplanetary third stage as a makeshift orbiter. So that's sort of good.

Put up a new station core which will someday become a spacedock. One end has a senior clamp-o-tron which will eventually get the dock part, there are 4 radial regular clap-o-trons in the center and the far end has 4 of the jumbo solar panels and two of the round batteries with a docking port on the end where I can continue to add more of these power modules as I need them.

And launched a probe rover which will be off to Duna tonight. Trying an unpowered descent with parachutes only. The lander with rover is 1.64 tons and has 3 parachutes. We'll see if it has enough drag.

On the third try (and second design) I docked the "science module" to my space station core, next up is the solar power array (Skylab lookalike) but that may have to wait until next week. Also have to get Jeb down from the space station, for some reason he insists on being on every manned flight...

Today we launched Fios 2, second in our kerb'd missions to the Mün. Launch craft was the Heron HeavyLift-A, and total launch mass was 420.89 tonnes. Our brave crew for this mission included Bill, Johnton, and Elger Kerman. The launch occurred shortly after sunset on the 66th day of the Space Age.

20130621_ksp0712_fios3.jpg

Unfortunately at 19 seconds into the flight we "had a bad problem," and did not go to space today. Instead we witnessed the first use of our launch escape system, which jettisoned the crew capsule at 22 seconds into the flight (just above the reach of the launchpad lights). The escape system worked perfectly, and moved the crew capsule a good distance away from the launchpad.

20130621_ksp0715_fios3.jpg

The ensuing fireball as the Heron-HL-A came crashing back down to Kerbin caused severe damage to the launch facility, took out two of my launchpad light arrays, and nearly killed Bob Kerman (who was watching the launch from a crew cart). Not the flight Bill, Johnton and Elger had expected, but they landed safely none-the-less. The trio have been reassigned as the crew of Fios 4, possibly our first kerb'd mission to Minmus.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

I'm currently working on a follow up to my faster than sonic video, in which I attempt to out speed a few more things, ultimately getting up to mach 10.

In a car. Jeez that sounds impossible, since mach 10 is kerbin escape velocity. :huh:

I didn't think I'd get this done before the weekend, but I had some spare time and gave it a go.

The solar array docking run went far smoother than the one last night that brought up the "communications module" I'm attaching it to. I failed that one twice, had to de-orbit once due to bad design (fuel tanks are lighter after heavy burns, who knew?) and once from lack of propellant...

WFJZ11G.jpg

Here it is in all its glory, my Skylab wannabe "OSS":

ooZVxNP.png

I made some launchers today:

The first is a traditional mobile rocket launcher. The standard design was a 3-rocket launcher. But it can be easily extended for heavy duty use if necessary.

veMwqYs.jpg

2hPqqf0.jpg

E1yQo6l.jpg

kfTdJpk.jpg

XobXe3T.jpg

Then I created a Kerbal launcher. It started as a carnival type ride. And then sort of escalated. It is currently non-moveable, requiring a team of Kerbals to set it up, and tear it down when finished. There are plans in the works to streamline and make a more mobile version.

Essentially, the thrill-seeking Kerbal walks onto the platform in the back. The Kerbal Launcher is raised. And then a blast of exhaust air launches the Kerbal an insane distance. We cannot guarantee the safety of any Kerbals using this device.

VqfXeyB.png

OeZR00o.jpg

PrPUzQx.jpg

u3sIVBz.jpg

W8peLVc.png

WHEEEEEE!

Edited by mellojoe