What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Is... is Ed flipping me off? :P

I didn't use a lot of Polys because, according to the KSP Wiki, the standard number of sides for 0.625m parts is 18, and I didn't want it to stand up from the crowd because it's supposed to be a stock-a-like part. :)

Heh, I've been using 16 for some of those parts. 18 is just fine. I think it only stands out because of the reflective rendering. Are you going to put any pattern/texture to it or leave the faces with a smooth material?

Last of my 23.5 Missions, I had just been finishing off Minimus in Career before 24 hit. Was very happy with the mission profile station, lander and return probe, instead of multiple launches.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/H9j2S/embed"></iframe>

This is more what I did the last three weeks in KSP rather than just today (or yesterday).

I have finally finished (mostly) constructing my Jool transfer station. I don't have a picture of it here but its purpose is a long duration (IE permanent) habitat with a science lab, lots of living space, 3 refueling pods, a complete docking "ring" (it isn't ring shaped, but it is a hub with 4 docking tubes) and a self sustaining power section.

It is the second one of this design that I have made, the challenge was getting all the parts to Jool. I couldn't do it in one run, so had to make two ships to transport it. They weren't the best designed things. One had serious wobbly problems. That involved 11 launches to get all the station parts up, docking them to the first failed design. Splitting the failed design into two parts and attaching improvements that made it viable. I ran out of monoprop and had to shoot out what I called the joolian racer with two large resupplies of monoprop. Still ran through all of that getting all the parts together due to the wobbly nature of the transports once their fuel ran low. It took about 3 kerbal years to get this thing together. Glad we have time warp. I like the idea of pulling success from adversity, so it was fun.

My modular engine pod idea works well (with minor necessary alterations, the large wheels act more like rubber tires when placed near a joint). I will be using that idea for future transports. Possibly a luxury station at Duna.

I also redirected an asteroid that was caught in kerbin polar orbit. Not sure what to do with it.

zLr6Gqt.jpg

Well, you know what they say about any landing you can walk away from. :P

I accidentally deployed the emergency chutes (intended to be used after cockpit separation) during flight on my semi-glider plane. Usually, that rips the fuselage apart and leaves the wings to fly away. In this case, though, I was only doing about 20 meters per second about 400 meters above the runway, so my plane just turned up on end and dropped gracefully down, tail-first, onto the runway, then flipped over on its back. Miraculously, nothing even broke, so if I deploy the landing gear and figure out a way to flip the plane back upright, it'll be as good as new. :D

Is it me, or are those procedural wings really really tough?

Today, i made the albatros, a space ship for the Kerbol Explorer, which can have 3 crew members, and have wings in hope of a Duna flight !!

Albatros

90AB3DCC8E4F83747EF3060A28B1C1C143DE6032

Albatros deploying wings

2E76D37A741CA591F5A4CCC30971AC4D6F097CF4

Nuclear take off

1C60C3439FC7F82AED9D1A7AE87F3D5B8B92E431

Yeah it fly !

53E4FB06103DE2C3073EAB7ACE4E4F0095CE67B9

I really love thoose wings :D

ty red iron crown ;p

Edited by FacialJack

I know its nothing special but today was my first time reaching Jool, so its an achievement for me! :D Unfortunately I made a full circle around the Sun, and I had to wait quite a bit to reach Jool, even on max TimeWarp. Also I was low on fuel so I didn't get to land on any of the Jool Moons, (Which was my initial plan)

0U8njmg.png

Hyper-edited a ship with a universal (except Eve) lander to LKO

to see if I can land on all Jool's muns. It worked fine, even despite all my screw-ups :-)

(Note: For Laythe the lander had 2 little side jets)

This is the ship (also dropped used tanks to Tylo's surface):

MPLQjIU.jpg

Now all that is left is to make a lifter (piece of cake ;-)), and record the whole mission.

Edited by Overfloater

Heh, I've been using 16 for some of those parts. 18 is just fine. I think it only stands out because of the reflective rendering. Are you going to put any pattern/texture to it or leave the faces with a smooth material?

I'll give it a little more details (warning "stickers" and such) and maybe I'll give it a little shading. It's friday today, so I'll have more time to work on it. :)

I haven't done much today:

- again one correction burn with my Moho probe. It is my first interplanetary trip and it is harder than I had thought by watching youtube videos

- almost finished the design for my stations service and docking modules

- raised my stations core module from 260x260km orbit into 340x340km orbit and took a screenshot of it after orbit maneuvering stage was discarded and deorbited

P6eyoOv.png

Sent a 2-Kerbal Lander Can land/ascent vehicle to Eve, planned to ascend from sea level. (Yah, I know... But I really thought I had 13,000 dV...) Transfer to Eve went OK, although VERY SLOWLY and with great attention paid to the bendy Sr Docking Port...

F8CZiHc.jpg

Alas, we ran into major overheating issues with the 44 (!!!) aerospikes and only managed to get to 60 km altitude before having to give up. Macvin and Matt will be purple for a while, but at least we managed to balance on landing and the RTGs will supply energy to the SAS wheel as it spins ever-faster to hold up the remains of the craft... Wish I had taken a picture of the lander floating in the purple sea, it looked like a castle...

uvKJdgX.jpg

Mine isn't so much a "what did I do today" as "what do I plan to do". It's one of those "kind of stupid, maybe I shouldn't be trying this in a career save" things. Wish me luck....

Experimental early-tech Mun lander turned out to be a decent orbiter, but had a design flaw that made it a deathtrap to land with. So Jeb's coming back without leaving footprints--and that Will Not Do. In the meantime, tech has advanced and now there's a space station with an advanced two-Kerbal reusable lander waiting for him...and Jeb is NOT going to let someone else steal his glory by being first.

So Jeb is on final approach to a rendezvous with the station. His primitive vessel has no docking port, so the plan is to match velocities, send one of the station crew to Jeb's ship (it has science that needs to get back home, so it must be saved), then Jeb makes the jump over to the station so he can get aboard the new-tech Mun lander and still be First On Mun!

It was after making the rendezvous burn, during that final half-orbit before matching velocities, that I realized Jeb's primitive ship is missing something else in addition to a docking port.

It also has *no RCS jets*.

So we're going to have to maneuver the whole great honkin' space station (woefully unbalanced at the moment due to the aforementioned reusable Mun lander and its orbit-transfer tug...) to meet up with Jeb in whatever almost-but-not-quite-good-enough semi-matched orbit he and his tiny ship end up in. And maneuver IT for stationkeeping as required while I'm simultaneously doing the free-floating EVA crew transfer.

Fun times.

Wish me luck....

I have actually managed to dock a small ship that had no rcs jets. Required much patience and luck in matching docking ports when still far away. Then just bumped forward by ~0.1 m/s and hoped.

Anyway, What I did today. I described the station I finished above, but here are pictures. I took a new joolian moon lander out to the new bustling floating city in the Jool system. This lander is hefty, but should be capable of landing on any moon (with luck) and returning. At least it was able to move about on kerbin during tests. That will remain for another day.

Pictures!

2014-09-07_00002.jpg

Joolian Racer after the Jool aerobrake manuever. Danley Kerman was quit manly during the entire trip. He has the right stuff. Didn't even pretend to show a panic face at any time.

2014-09-12_00001.jpg

Here, Sonvis admires an evening view of Jool from outside the Laythe base. He's been out there a long time and was happy to learn that his fellow kerbals will be building a larger permanent presence in his part of space. The jpg compression may have filtered it out, but if you look really hard, there is a tiny dot just above and to the right of Jool. That is the new Ibolen Station.

2014-09-12_00002.jpgDFinally, here we are, Ibolen Station. Missing one fuel pod, which is still attached to the Joolian Racer some distance off. Currently docked (docking hub is the part hanging down at the bottom) is one engine pod that was part of the ships that took the station out here. It was useful to go fetch the second disabled ship and the hab module that had to be dumped so the second ship could limp into place. Hab module is at the far end of this picture, closest to Jool. The engine pod still has a bit of fuel left so I have it docked so not to waste any.

Docked to that (the one with the blue lights) is the new Jool Moon lander. The smaller ship is a tug which is used to build stations, etc. You can't see the science wing of the station, it is hidden by the refueling pods on the foreground. There is also a second tug docked to an otherwise unused corridor.

I launch the Albatros, and a kethane emergency lander to Kerbol Explorer

Launcher separation

5A26AEFCD9AE841115138F5925FA8F38917F68EE

What a spotlight

810ED46DF000A45A4A99C63852C4838C2C8722B9

Kethane emergency lander docking

66EB9FF1D88CD51DDAB52696F8231150F66402C8

Front section docked, Kerbol Explorer is full !!

DEB8736534E94740ADF41705ED05149A50462AF0

Now, a few more struts for new lander and Albatros section, and KE will be ready for Münar transfer test burn

Completed Kerbol Explorer

46607FA99587C93A54177E5AB9B7837F8C031BC1

762AC97D4233D5E2523A5858A31A7EB1FA950699

947D6C25ADB605730E6ECE31815C99F271C993B9

Let's struts !

176276481DEDDFADD16CCD617843F7F36EAEE33A

B02B412EDF699BE39CAD20F3BC8BCC291BE17945

On front section, there's a observation bay which will have a nice view once albatros gone, and 2 space scooter wiz only monoprop, they have 1.743 km/s dV due to 4 new 0.242 monoprop engines. enough for landing !!

8F65F3C013046A6E039D0F4BC2BD1AE8A3C3546F

Im strutting...

Wiz 2017 parts at the end, KE make my PC burning :D, only 3-5 fps, every action is so slow...

Not really fun, but that's my first interplanetary ship (except a 0.235 duna one way small lander), its just... too huge for KSP now, that's seams to be a commun KSP noob mistake :D

Next one will be wiz less part for preserving my frame rate !

Completed the final peice for my Venus mission, the crew launcher, which includes the 90 tonne service module. Time to stop beating around the bush and actually do the mission.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/VenusCrewLauncher1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/VenusCrewLauncher2.jpg

Hey Maccollo, is your new Venus lander still gonna do this?

VenusChuteManouver.gif