What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Ok, the first day, of my 3 week vacation from work. Got up early, cooked a nice hot cup of tea and got right to KSP, before starting real life with a long relaxing walk through the forest right now...:

Backt to where i left Eve mission yesterday: Arrival - Descend - Surface Mission - Ascend - Successful return (YESSS!!!)

nmjavEQ.jpg

Rf0xIoO.png

FmAvOmH.png

I will make an album with descriptions and post it in my Grand tour mission thread later for some mission informations.

[Edit] And here is the link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/93236-A-kerbaled-mission-to-Eve

Edited by Frank_G
Added missing link (a scientific breakthrough, so to say)

Put a contracted satellite in orbit of Kerbin, going the wrong direction.... 20 minutes of finessing the orbit and wondering why I had not completed all of the requirements

. . . MOTHER F*****!

<---- Just realized why four separate attempts to complete a satellite contract failed.

... Said stuff into a microphone. Sailed a warship through a canal. Blew some tanks up. Ate cornflakes... :)

Cupcake...

Awesome video! The way you glide down the slope of the mountain almost feels like a wingsuit pov. :P

As for me, I haven't even booted the game today but have been mauling over how to build a cost effective reusable ferry between Kerbin and my munar fuel/parking station. I see all you lot building beautiful SST Mun spaceplanes but sadly that's not my forte. :P All it really has to do is rendezvous with the station orbiting the mun at 200km up. Oh, and it has to seat three. Ideally without actually needing fuel from the station, but if it does need some that's no biggy. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

I got the original trio back from a near disaster - they were orbiting the Mun on an odd near-polar orbit, and the process of rescuing the Munar module had drained all but the last dregs of RCS fuel.

1 hurriedly designed tanker-transport later, they were on their way back to Kerbin!

(Cost about 200,000, but lesson learned).

Did more of the same last night; tested five different parts last night, three in flight, one in sub-orbit and one in orbit. Realized I'd missed a sixth; I'll get it on the next run. Nearly met with disaster when I thought the contraption was coming in to hot for the chutes and fired up the engines to compensate - chutes promptly disappeared and I had to land it manually...the engine was a KR-1x2 still set at full thrust. Made it (thank God).

Today I did something that I do not think I have done in a very very long time, I crashed my probe.........on Minmus. For some reason I had felt the mission was doomed to fail, but I was expecting it to happen much sooner. I did however get the three parts test around Mun I had added to the probe completed, but this is where things went from ok to not ok. The parts tested fine but when I went to decouple the ion engine (another test part) it blew out my orbital telescope, although I did not notice it until I was nearing Minmus. Then as I went to decouple my booster stage from my landing stage the throttle jumped back up one tick and remained on, and for some odd reason that I cannot explain when I staged the separation it did not decouple, it did not fire the engine, but it did activate the parachutes that were one stage higher. I could have jumped back to a quick had I remembered to set one at some point during this time frame, but I had not done so and was afraid of how far back it would actually take me. So I accepted the 30,000+ fund loss as a punishment for trying to do more than I should have with the Minmus probe, and will launch a more focused mission back there soon.

.....Think I will take the day off now LOL

After the great success of my Eve landing craft, i took the final stage capsule and modified it, for test runs on Tylo... believe it or not... this configuration can land and take off from Tylo. If you wonder, why the lander has two sets of landing legs... During the upcoming grand tour, it will land first on Tylo in the seen configuration and after returning to the main mission craft, the upper stage will serve as a lander for Bop, Pol and Val as well.

RNulPE6.png

I just hyper-edited it into a 85 km orbit, where my mission craft would go into parking orbit. First i dropped orbit to around 15 km (time warp restrictions are a real b^^ch when it comes to Tylo, so i installed a mod to be able to accelerate until the lander reached desired orbital position) and shortly after passing apoapsis, i started to bleed of horizontal velocity, while keeping vertical velocity constantly at about 50 m/sec almost all the time during descent. When horizontal speed was killed, about 2000m above the ground, the final way was done using the second monopropellant stage landing at roughly 3 m/sec.

It is "only" concentration work to land, when you know what Tylo wants from you... its all about keeping the descending velocity steady, while bleeding of lots of vertical speed... and keeping an eye on the instruments ALL the time.

Decomissioned the Prometheus II for several reasons, most importantly a lack of torque when fully loaded and the requirement for a second Cyclotron to be able to run excentric quark experiment pods. So with that in mind, I designed the upgraded Prometheus III (which was payed for with the cash-rewards of the contracts that the Prometheus II completed during its trial run to Minmus).

pXAqoSu.jpg

Take off...

Nl6R2DQ.jpg

Getting rid of the launch-boosters during the gravity turn... who said KSP doesnt have pretty explosions? :D

eBZkod2.jpg

lFQWN7c.jpg

mWSiFQL.jpg

th3KiQv.jpg

Zdog469.jpg

l2129da.jpg

jNCx71D.jpg

FOADl9B.jpg

Circularizing into orbit. The lander at the tail right between the engine exhausts...

UrFm8F0.jpg

Achieved orbit, solar panels deployed...

NAATMID.jpg

Now it was time for the logistical network to do its part... tanker coming in to refuel...

ZOCuQ03.jpg

But one load wasnt enough. So the Karvester at Minmus got busy drilling Karbonite and refine it into LFO...

oM4cwgq.jpg

The tanker then transported it to Kerbin. Here it is coming back and aero-braking into orbit...

kQumoNK.jpg

Furthermore, I also launched the first set of experiment pods for Duna...

XyK2G28.jpg

Preparations are almost complete and it looks like this version will soon start its interplanetary journey...

Crashlanding a transfer stage to avoid debris ended up with a winglet in orbit. Oh well, the odds of that ever crossing my path are pretty slim I reckon.

QU9W0In.jpg

On a brighter note, my lander met up with the tug parked at my fuel station, and it shouldn't have to go back to Kerbin anytime soon. After a trip, science experiments get cleaned at the station. Last step is trying to find a way to shuttle crew and science from kerbin to the station and back efficiently.

U3NG2jw.jpg

BohfX7K.jpg

1m4nkCy.jpg

Sort of got lucky with the lander width. Don't have much room to spare between the tug! Only works when oriented this way and even it's tiny little solar panels have to be retracted to fit. :P

It always annoys me when peple think putting more wings on things = more lift.

And it annoys me even more that it works in KSP

Damn you, squad!

So I guess people should adjust their play style to please you then? I mean it is not like their enjoyment is that important or anything....right?

So I guess people should adjust their play style to please you then? I mean it is not like their enjoyment is that important or anything....right?

What? You mean if we have the freedom to play any way we want to play that we should not worry about how somebody else is playing it? What a crazy concept!

Today I made my very first, "there and back," flight to another planet, in this case, Eve. And I took Bill along for the ride as well.

The plan was to land on Gilly, collect as much science as possible and return home, but Gilly proved too elusive for my nuclear engines (I couldn't slow down fast enough before escaping Gilly's SoI). After setting up an encounter for the third time, and still not making it, I wasn't sure I had the fuel to make it home. Bill gave up on Gilly and headed for Kerbin, and just inside Kerbin's SoI, the nuclear engines ran out of fuel. However, since I hadn't used my lander as planned, it had enough fuel to get back home intact, with the first science returned from another planet. Now I need to try again, with a more powerful engine available for that tiny SoI of Gilly's....

Not the overwhelming success I was hoping for, but I was still proud of myself for getting there and back, anyway!

Well today I launched my first heavy base.. Took a bit more than I wished: - I just made a base of a large kerobyne fuel tank, 2 science labs/hitchhiker modules and 1000 liter of monopropellant. But Managed to keep part count around 300, the "lander" will be a ship shaped like an upside down U around the base..

The rest was to lift this lander part;

LrsO9DO.png

All them boosters!

I had just enough: achieved orbit using nearly all my base lift fuel as expected

HSNmksF.png

A new dawn started just after I reached space!

Just before doing the last push and starting the engines for the main transfer I tested all equipment/actions:

AB0tqZw.png

Andd off we go. These 3 engines will be decoupled before landing but should give the rendez vous. The outer big engines are used for landing & double as stable basing when touching down.

I7R78ae.png

Gosh those nuclear engines take ages to actually speed up.

Tomorrow I'll see if I can actually land & keep the thing intact. Then I'll also launch the orbital base as well as some buggies.

Edited by paul23

What started as a maintenance day ended in white-knuckled piloting over the Mun and laughable tragedy snatched from the jaws of unprecedented (for me) victory. In my Career game, Kethane(K) and Karbonite(KA) are having a "format war" and Karbonite scored some clear victories. After seeing how Munar gravity presented trouble for the extremely heavy prototype mining barge for Kethane, the even heavier Karbonite barge headed over to my Minmus station, docked, and refueled. Here we see Jeb clearing the debris of the now spent fuel tank. Ho Hum.

screenshot211.png

The KA barge then successfully landed and started siphoning up the Karbonite. With a full load of 8900 KA, four LV-Ns were very slow to lift the barge back to orbit, even in vacuum!

screenshot221.png

Meanwhile, on the Mun... It doesn't take long to see what's wrong with this picture:

screenshot213.png

While much smaller than the KA barge, the K barge doesn't have enough fuel to meet up with the orbital refinery. On the (moronic) assumption that K can transfer like Monoprop (KA can), I came up with a bold plan. I would send a probe with a processing module attached and *MAKE* fuel. This would mean docking with the top of an imbalanced lander in Munar gravity, requiring a precision de-orbit and a lot of RCS. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

screenshot214.png

Hold the jokes on this ship's appearance until you hear the extra funny bit; the batteries were running out. The panels were on the probe itself. I blew the fairings off and resolved both issues. Arrival to Mun from there was uneventful and I had the fuel to get into a prime position; I got an orbital drop window and was in a perfect spot to attempt the insane. I ran out of the tiny bit of fuel on the probe 2km from the target and had to do the rest drone-style with RCS only. The photos speak for themselves.

screenshot215.pngscreenshot216.pngscreenshot218.png

NAILED IT!....then I discovered the K needed fuel lines to reach the fuel tanks. Worse, after tearing off solar panels and moving my KAS pipes to try to rectify it, I discovered it won't use KAS pipes. With a fortune in Kethane and no way to get it to orbit, the krew of the Replete must wait until I come up with a better idea than to call them a munar colony and be done with it. screenshot219.png

Z76xnVi.png

Today, I completed Starbucks Station. It was built with the KSO shuttle. I have a Habitation Module, Science Module, Kerbal Lab Module, Cupola Module, Power Module, and Docking Module. I also have a Tug.

i46NXv3.png

Tonight, I sent the Horizon II spacecraft to bring Peewee, Jedfurt, and Lensey up to the station.

uXx3J8E.png

Here's a picture of them in the Habitat Module.

Top left: Peewee

Top right: Lensey

Bottom Left: Jedfurt

UxFepzm.jpg

Tomorrow I plan on sending an unmanned probe to land on Eve. It will only be the launch though since I like to do missions in between to add realism a bit.